College kid trying to Prep

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamhufff

Reaction score
Hi all. As I stated in my intro, I'm a recent college graduate moving to Michigan for Graduate school. I'll be living in a one bedroom apartment. My biggest fear(s) are the obvious economic collapse and a possible EMP. I have a substantial bug out bag along with a month or 2 food supply. I have enough ammunition and firearms for myself and others and I have a dirt bike with luggage capabilities and extra fuel storage. Basically my question for you all is depending on the situation should I try and drive the 270 miles back to my family farm or try and bugout to a different location? I have enough fuel on the bike to possible make the journey depending on terrain. Thanks all for your thoughts and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, your going to be living on or near the campus, if your working on your thesis. I don't think your BOB is going to travel to class with you, so you should have a steady and well prepared EDC, that you can sneak into your book bag. I am not familiar with on-campus or state laws for Michigan. Here in Texas beginning this year, students with CHL's will be able to carry guns on colleges that approve this recent legislative law. So if your interested, you should consider building a Bug-out plan that takes into consideration potential scenarios, etc.

As for the bike, I don't think many here would argue with you, that this is the best possible BOV, unless it is winter time, then the 4x4 would be the obvious choice. If I were you, separation without friends or family nearby your campus, increases as your near your families farm. Living in Michigan without support decreases the chances of friendly support and this is where people who are not preppers will agree is one of the issues we all face. The larger the group, the better the survival ratings.

I would bug out depending on the SHTF event. Some events like a WMD would be better to shelter in place at least until some type of all clear or federal response allows you to make the decisions to keep you alive.

P.M. me I could explain more from a OPSEC/COMSEC view of your situation, I don't want to place it out there for others to see, as this will open to personal security issues for you.

check out Northern Raiders post on responstime too,might be useful also.

Hi all. As I stated in my intro, I'm a recent college graduate moving to Michigan for Graduate school. I'll be living in a one bedroom apartment. My biggest fear(s) are the obvious economic collapse and a possible EMP. I have a substantial bug out bag along with a month or 2 food supply. I have enough ammunition and firearms for myself and others and I have a dirt bike with luggage capabilities and extra fuel storage. Basically my question for you all is depending on the situation should I try and drive the 270 miles back to my family farm or try and bugout to a different location? I have enough fuel on the bike to possible make the journey depending on terrain. Thanks all for your thoughts and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where you go will depend on many issues, such as WEATHER, likely ROAD BLOCKS official or criminal, possible REFUGEES clogging roads, TYPE of disaster, How much ADVANCE Warning you got, and HOW QUICK can you respond.

You say you and others ??? fellow preppers or frat mates, If they are not commited preppers drop them from the plan you can only get you and your pack on one bike.
You say Dirt bike???? have you reccied ( recon in American) ALL possible escape routes AVOIDING Highways and Interstates or BRIDGES? Get your maps out and get UrbExing which ever city you are in, you need to note Railroad tracks, Tubes, Tunnels, Canal paths, Pylon routes, Cycle ways, Logging Trails old footpaths etc ANYTHING except the main roads, Learn the back roads so you dont need to map read.
Have you ultra silenced your bike and painted it drab colours
Have you set up so you can kill the brake lights if you have to bug out after dark
Have you put puncture foam into your tyres.
You say you live 270 miles from Uni to Home, you NEED enough fuel to go the absolute longest possible route often in low gear, normally DOUBLE the fuel needed to go directly to your home. MAIN ROADS are not your friend, backroads and off the beaten track routes are.

Now you bug out on your bike and ten miles down the road you fall off, get bushwacked, bike breaks down, stopped by feds, can you INSTANTLY abandon your bike and STILL get home on foot with whats on your back.

BOBS must NOT carry your essential EDC gear so on your person NOT in your saddle bags. If you get separated from your bike at short notice you need to be still able to function.

1 PDW and extra mags
2 FAK
3 Rations
4 Knife
5 Flashlight
6 Maps
7 Essential meds
8 Water bottle plus puri tabs
9 AM / FM radio
10 Wallet
11 Shades
12 Gloves, Hat, Bandana
13 Compass
14 Notebook and pen
15 Lighter
etc

If you live in the US and cannot carry a full EDC with you in your school bag (A) your in the wrong school :) (B) find some place VERY close to school to keep your essentials handy, perhaps METAL ammo boxes converted into panniers on your dirt bike and the bike securely garaged CLOSE to Campus.

Last edited:
College Kids
Einstein.jpg

I don't know. There are some really great things I took from college.

Increased critical thinking
A thorough understanding of statistics and how easy they are to manipulate
Figuring out that I succeed better under pressure, and at the last minute
The value of lists

It's great that you are at least thinking about worst-case scenarios. Let me toss in a couple other ideas.
1. Communicate with your family your strategy. They may be trying to come find you if they don't know your plan. Always note that trying to leave a safe location to retrieve people is a bad idea, they need to stay home & pray for your safe return.
2. Rather than carrying all your extra fuel, hide a few gallons on your back-road path. Bury it off the side of the road, or in an abandoned structure under the floor. Put stabile in the fuel so it'll last a year or so and seal it well. Even hide a few gallons in various locations. Very CHEAP insurance.
3. Ride your back path. Ride it in daylight to see things. Ride it at night as it'll be a very different scene. Avoid any road over 1 lane each way & avoid any down-towns/populations. Consider ambush locations.
4. You can't plan for every scenario. 1-2 months food is overkill, you'll be long dead before you eat all that. Your only chance of survival is getting home quickly and safely. Don't carry the kitchen sink, just a few days supplies (maybe a week).

Honestly, this might not be the popular answer, but I would high-tail it back to your family residence. From there you will be able to setup shop and defend yourself from attacks more effectively. And, also just the fact that it's "your land" will motivate you to stay gun-strong and vigilant. That's what I would do.

Latest posts

Back