Collapsible Batons

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is exactly where to put this, but it's neither a firearm nor a bladed weapon. I'm looking into adding a collapsible baton to my little personal arsenal. Anyone got any recommendations? I know next to nothing about batons.

Not sure if this is exactly where to put this, but it's neither a firearm nor a bladed weapon. I'm looking into adding a collapsible baton to my little personal arsenal. Anyone got any recommendations? I know next to nothing about batons.

Maybe Roninsensei, might have some ideas...he's awfully knowledgeable with edged weapons. I am sure he is has info on batons.

I don't want to get that close....... prefer my pistol.....................All that baton swinging just wears me out !...................... and don't miss with the first swing or you might be eating it.

Last edited:
When I did security, I always used ASP.

Personally, I like a size I can still fit in a deep pocket, when collapsed.

I agree with the ASP Brand but in my opinion a baton is not very effective for what its made for. Plus a lot of states have made them illegal to have on your person. ASP's are supposed to be used for strikes to the sides of the legs and arms however a strike to the head will collapse the skull so be careful. The fact that it collapses reduces the uses to only a swinging weapon so any stabbing style use will just collapse it.. lol Most collapsible baton makers will testify that the baton comes with a warning to not strike the head and that by doing so you will kill the person, D.A.s use this testimony to prosecute you for murder if the person dies from the head injury saying that you deliberately ignored instructions. As a security operator I would rather use OC. or a long fixed stick like a walking stick.

This is 11 layers of reenforced fiberglass and virtually unbreakable!!!!

Roninsensei, what is "OC"? And this is more for NROL than everyday use.

And I'll admit that maybe I'm playing too much Watch_Dogs, in which the main character uses a baton for take-downs. Legal ramifications are of course always important to consider either way.

When doing security, my ASP was only for backup. I used a PR-24 side-handle baton like law enforcement uses.
For civilian purposes, I like it because it allows me the option of having something more than my hands if needed.

Of course, thanks Ronin. My wife has a small thing of pepper spray she keeps in her purse.

You dudes are too tough for me...... I ain't no Kung fu , fist fighter / mist sprayer / baton swinger................I'm just a ( packing heat ) prepper dude .................and if you get by my Shepherd........................Oh ,Well .

Haha, agreed there but I am working on my "Kung-fu" so to speak. My brother in law teaches martial arts so he's shown me a few techniques with my machete and tomahawk. There are actually some surprisingly good how-to's on YouTube if you know what to look for.

Guns are well and good, but they are loud, lethal, and can malfunction. Backup options are never a bad thing to have, especially if you need to be quiet, or don't want to kill.

I guess try to think of the situations you might encounter, and plan accordingly, as with all preps. I can see myself needing to defend myself up close and personal, so I choose to carry a variety of melee defense options, because while I do have a few firearms at my disposal, Top Shot I am not. I can miss, and people can run fast when they want to. Anyone trying to close the gap on me will come face to face with blades and (soon) a baton.

Haha, agreed there but I am working on my "Kung-fu" so to speak. My brother in law teaches martial arts so he's shown me a few techniques with my machete and tomahawk. There are actually some surprisingly good how-to's on YouTube if you know what to look for.

Guns are well and good, but they are loud, lethal, and can malfunction. Backup options are never a bad thing to have, especially if you need to be quiet, or don't want to kill.

I guess try to think of the situations you might encounter, and plan accordingly, as with all preps. I can see myself needing to defend myself up close and personal, so I choose to carry a variety of melee defense options, because while I do have a few firearms at my disposal, Top Shot I am not. I can miss, and people can run fast when they want to. Anyone trying to close the gap on me will come face to face with blades and (soon) a baton.
Get yourself a revolver.... and a good dog , dude................ I was buff and tough............ years ago ........... now I'm smarter.

Who says I don't have a revolver? And I don't know about "buff and tough" but as I've stated elsewhere on the forum, I believe a certain amount of fitness is as essential a prep as food stores and ammo. Prepping is about being prepared for anything. What if you drop your revolver in a struggle? Someone shoots your dog? Honestly, I know it sounds cruel but in a bugout situation, if someone's dog gets within a certain distance of me it's getting smacked down or shot down, depending on how threatened I feel. I know what those things can do but I'm allergic and can't have my own dog.

To each their own. Not really looking for an argument, and I'd like to try and stay on topic. Seems like ASP is the way to go.

Yes asp is the way to go. And don't take realistic too seriously. He's the living example of old age and treachery will beat youth and vigor every time. Lol

Batons are ok, but not for an WROL or SHTF scenario. You have to be up close to use it. They come in different lengths, thats the deciding factor

If you go with a collapsable one you will need to go with the high dollar ones the cheap ones you see will siex up while open then it's no longer as easy to conceal . I have one of the old school Hicory batons if I had to would be a back up .

Latest posts

Back