Cold Steel Katana Machete

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateMTx

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I've been wanting to buy a quality machete for a while (I have cheap ones from academy and walmart but I'm always afraid they will break.) I saw this one by Cold Steel and it looks "cool" which I guess I like. I know Cold Steel has quality knives but does anyone who knows about these things have any suggestions on whether it would be practical as a machete?

You should ask Roninsensei. I'm a big blade fan myself (and I consider myself knowledgible on the subject), but Ronin is much, much more informed about qualities of steel, blade geometry, sharpening techniques, knife safety, and so on.

He has always been very informative if he's asked politely, and I suspect that his advice will also save you money if he steers you in a specific direction.

Start a private conversation with him, and see if he can help you.

The Cold Steel Katana Machete is one way to buy a quality Katana and have confidence Your not buying a novelty wall hanger . As far as buying a machete for a work horse machete then a standard machete style 18 or 22 inch would be the way to go . Cold Steel makes them too . But yes I would recommend the CS Katana for reasons I mentioned .

KateMTx, if you are going to buy any form of a katana, then you should find a school and take up kendo....and another martial art called iaido.

There are different schools that have different approaches, and I know that there are several good schools scattered around Texas.

If you get good at kendo (or kenjutsu, which is the ancestor of kendo), an authentic Japanese katana in your hands is probably the deadliest, most destructive weapon ever invented by human beings that doesn't involve a projectile, toxin, or explosive.

A katana--if used by someone who knows what they're doing--will slice through the same body armor that defeats a .357 magnum round.

I also don't see the katana getting regulated like firearms in the near future.

Kendo is also fun, it gets you in shape, and helps with mental balance and one's ability to focus.

P.S. I don't know if you are (or were) existing in a sexist environment, but don't let anyone talk you out of japanese swordsmanship because you're a woman. Many of the top-notch kendo instructors are women, and gender means absolutely nothing when one knows how to properly use a katana.

Last edited:
KateMTx, if you are going to buy any form of a katana, then you should find a school and take up kendo....and another martial art called iaido.

There are different schools that have different approaches, and I know that there are several good schools scattered around Texas.

If you get good at kendo (or kenjutsu, which is the ancestor of kendo), an authentic Japanese katana in your hands is probably the deadliest, most destructive weapon ever invented by human beings that doesn't involve a projectile, toxin, or explosive.

A katana--if used by someone who knows what they're doing--will slice through the same body armor that defeats a .357 magnum round.

I also don't see the katana getting regulated like firearms in the near future.

Kendo is also fun, it gets you in shape, and helps with mental balance and one's ability to focus.

P.S. I don't know if you are (or were) existing in a sexist environment, but don't let anyone talk you out of japanese swordsmanship because you're a woman. Many of the top-notch kendo instructors are women, and gender means absolutely nothing when one knows how to properly use a katana.
This is the machete I'm thinking of https://www.coldsteel.com/tactical-katana-machete.html
It's not an actual katana - just a machete made to look like one and I plan to use it as a machete. I do like swords and I am interested in learning fighting styles to go with them but unfortunately such things are not currently in my budget.

This is the machete I'm thinking of https://www.coldsteel.com/tactical-katana-machete.html
It's not an actual katana - just a machete made to look like one and I plan to use it as a machete. I do like swords and I am interested in learning fighting styles to go with them but unfortunately such things are not currently in my budget.
These are all over ebay for a 3rd that price . It is a better katana than alot of the commercial ones on the market . Im going to order one and the gladias machete too .
But if its machete work you want one for I would go with the Cold Steel Latin machete .

I have had a number of Machets and the best one I have found without breaking the bank is Ontario Camper Machete 12 in Blk,,

s-l300.jpg

they are a workhorse I have had mine pushing 20 years and it is as good now as the day I bought it

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ontario-...26ZMR29U4JSV5gmfXY2GtKVyeNkQ-6kMaAvLvEALw_wcB

Thanks! I found it on Amazon too so I'm thinking of buying it there. I am wondering why the price difference though. . . it makes me suspicious of something; I'm not exactly sure what.
Yes it looks like the Cold Steel site had it for $60 plus and everywhere else had it for under $30 . Most Ebay stores also had free shipping .

Yes it looks like the Cold Steel site had it for $60 plus and everywhere else had it for under $30 . Most Ebay stores also had free shipping .
Nope, those say they are Katanas, but that is a flat out lie. If you look at the overall length, it's only 24" so those are Wakizashis.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Steel...025984&hash=item4d7fa1de68:g:l34AAOSwjrFcJr-t

The genuine Cold Steel Katanas (36") on eBay are closer to $60. You gotta read the fine print on eBay...

I know I won't make any friends with this,but to me the Katana is only good for self defense and does not have the weight or design to be a chopping tool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can use it for that but there are much better designs for general purpose use,,,I have owned a few and now they sit in a closet and never see the light of day,,,for my taste it's a waste of money

if you are going to take the time to learn how to properly use it then by all means get one otherwise leave it at the store

Nope, those say they are Katanas, but that is a flat out lie. If you look at the overall length, it's only 24" so those are Wakizashis.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Steel...025984&hash=item4d7fa1de68:g:l34AAOSwjrFcJr-t

The genuine Cold Steel Katanas (36") on eBay are closer to $60. You gotta read the fine print on eBay...

This is the katana machete https://www.coldsteel.com/review/product/list/id/421/ It's listed on the Cold Steel website for 69.99 or on Amazon and Ebay for like $50. The one that's listed for $26 is the shorter wakizashi.

But Cold Steel actually makes real katanas too that are longer with thinner blades. Like this one here https://www.coldsteel.com/katana-warrior-series.html They are hundreds of dollars, and while I might want one I am not even considering buying one right now.

The katana machete is a good buy for the price. Id actually recommend the Wakizashi length for a self defense tool. the full size isnt very good for someone without actual sword training. Ps I own all of them. It really depends on what you are getting this for. Is this for self defense? is this just to own a full size katana like device? Why do we want this?

The katana machete is a good buy for the price. Id actually recommend the Wakizashi length for a self defense tool. the full size isnt very good for someone without actual sword training. Ps I own all of them. It really depends on what you are getting this for. Is this for self defense? is this just to own a full size katana like device? Why do we want this?
I agree that it's good to have a well-defined goal before purchasing any weapon.

Well it started because I was looking for a quality machete, and the ones at walmart and academy were crap so I was looking online, and then I saw the katana machete. Of course my immediate thought was "that looks awesome!" but then I thought better of just buying it and decided to see if anyone knew if it would even be practical as a machete (which was my original intent). I wasn't really thinking of it as a weapon, per se; though in my mind if someone attacks me I'm going to use whatever is handy to defend myself, hopefully that will never be necessary, mostly because I'll probably die.
After watching some videos I did decide to get the Wakizashi length instead, though I may get the longer one too when I have some more money, but just because it's kind of awesome, not because I really need it.

I wasn't really thinking of it as a weapon, per se; though in my mind if someone attacks me I'm going to use whatever is handy to defend myself, hopefully that will never be necessary, mostly because I'll probably die.
No offense intended, but why do you seem to have reconciled yourself to death in a violent encounter?

You should never give up your life....and if you're in a violent encounter and you believe you're going to die, then do your best to kill your attacker and take him to Hell with you as an honor guard.

Latest posts

Back