Coffee in the TEOTWAWKI

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an original Bialetti Moka Express (AKA "Moka Pot") at a Goodwill thrift store. I used James Hoffman's technique and it was really good on the first try.
The Bialetti is like the Italian "Mr. Coffee", LOL. Only not electric. They are in every home almost. Water is forced up through the brewing chamber by steam pressure.
cGc
Looks very similar to a Guardian Ware. Sold in Tupperware type parties in the 30s,40’s, 50’s. This would be an example of a 40’s+ because it has a glass lid.
205C35D8-8972-4297-A300-DB59FD645968.jpeg

Looks very similar to a Guardian Ware. Sold in Tupperware type parties in the 30s,40’s, 50’s. This would be an example of a 40’s+ because it has a glass lid.
View attachment 17203
That is a percolator. Water goes up the tube then down through the grounds and back into the bottom.
In a Moka Pot, the first tube forces water up through a chamber full of grounds under pressure and then up through another tube into a chamber on top.

860abf183540fefd5328b6f2af91b91b--coffee-percolator-creative-coffee.jpg

The cowboys used to use chicory root instead. Has anyone ever tried it? I know they add it to some coffee to take the bitterness out but, supposedly, the cowboys were usually broke so no coffee just chicory.

Yes, I've tried it. Many New Orleans blends have chicory in there coffee. I will drink it.

By itself, I'm not too crazy about chicory, but the Community and Cafe Du Monde chicory blends are good.

Chicory was used among other things to stretch coffee during the Civil War in the South since coffee imports were blockaded. There was coffee to be found - but too expensive to use by itself.

It is said that in the letters written home by Confederate troops, coffee was mentioned more than any other subject. Southern newspapers ran articles on how to make coffee substitutes from things like sweet potatoes, acorns, okra seeds, dandelion root, etc.
8Jx7kbl.jpg

By itself, I'm not too crazy about chicory, but the Community and Cafe Du Monde chicory blends are good.

Chicory was used among other things to stretch coffee during the Civil War in the South since coffee imports were blockaded. There was coffee to be found - but too expensive to use by itself.

It is said that in the letters written home by Confederate troops, coffee was mentioned more than any other subject. Southern newspapers ran articles on how to make coffee substitutes from things like sweet potatoes, acorns, okra seeds, dandelion root, etc.
8Jx7kbl.jpg

The husband drinks a pot or two a day and likes the Community coffee. I will drink about anything that resembles coffee. Instant, expresso, coffee left over from the day before.

I've been curious about just straight chicory: heard about the acorns but worry that the tannins would get me (certain red wines give me a headache) and never heard of dandelions being used. Interesting.

The husband drinks a pot or two a day and likes the Community coffee. I will drink about anything that resembles coffee. Instant, expresso, coffee left over from the day before.

I've been curious about just straight chicory: heard about the acorns but worry that the tannins would get me (certain red wines give me a headache) and never heard of dandelions being used. Interesting.
Daily Community coffee drinker here, too!

I actually had decent success growing a couple of coffee plants in a pot where I could monitor the soil conditions better. Put it outside in the spring, bring it inside by the south windows when it got cold. Then, came this summer. I was away for a week when the 110's hit and the sun burned it to a crisp. Cut it back but don't hold out much hope of it coming back. Time will tell.

There is a coffee species, Coffea stenophylla, that was thought to be extinct, but has been rediscovered in the wild in Sierra Leone. There is already one company marketing the coffee. At one time it was commercially successful, but it has lower yields then rubusta or arabica and fell out of favor for that reason. Now that much of the prime coffee growing land in the world has been developed for human habitation or more profitable crops, there is a lot of interest in Coffea stenophylla because it can grow in a much warmer climate than arabica, and at lower altitudes, which will open up new areas for coffee growing. Quite possibly some places in the Continental US.
It is said to be as good or better than arabica.

There is a coffee species, Coffea stenophylla, that was thought to be extinct, but has been rediscovered in the wild in Sierra Leone. There is already one company marketing the coffee. At one time it was commercially successful, but it has lower yields then rubusta or arabica and fell out of favor for that reason. Now that much of the prime coffee growing land in the world has been developed for human habitation or more profitable crops, there is a lot of interest in Coffea stenophylla because it can grow in a much warmer climate than arabica, and at lower altitudes, which will open up new areas for coffee growing. Quite possibly some places in the Continental US.
It is said to be as good or better than arabica.

I got Arabicas have to see if I can find stenophylla

1661895977403.png

Americans and their coffee!!!ha!ha!ha!
Americans? We're not even close to consuming the highest amount of coffee per capita. We barely made the top 25
Rank​
Country​
Coffee Consumption (Lbs per Person Per Year)​
1Finland26.45
2Norway21.82
3Iceland19.84
4Denmark19.18
5Netherlands18.52
6Sweden18
7Switzerland17.42
8Belgium15
9Luxembourg14.33