Co BB guns, any good uses?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another big factor is costs. How many hundreds of pellets do you get for just a few dollars (compared to 10cents/round for 22's). A good pellet gun will run you $100-200, but that's still cheap compared to a 10/22 Ruger.

And availability. At least locally, a lot of ammo is sold out- but pellets/BBs are still in stock. And a pellet/BB gun can be a great way to get a new shooter eased into firing without flinching.

I have one, use it on pests (starlings, rabbits, squirrels). Sometimes I'll bring it out on the trap line- if any part of your plans involves trapping for meat or fur, it can be a good way of dispatching animals without a lot of noise.

I recently purchased the Air Venturi Avenger. 22 caliber, 10 shot magazine, 300 Bar (4,300 psi) . Shooting a 15.89 grain pellet at 870 FPS. At 50 yard, my best 5 shot group was 5/8th inch. Cost of the air rifle $300. The big cost was the air compressor at about $400. Too darn old and tired to use a hand pump. Due to the ammo shortage and reloading components, this was my way to have some fun range time and help maintain my shooting skills. This will also make a great very small game meat provider.

Not to forget very quiet it's very stealth sucks in heavy fire but if they don't know you're there do you still have the upper hand
If you hit your target as you should then it's an silent story. Otherwise it can be noisy. I dislike noisy victims....
But i love bows and crossbows, so i do own a few of them.

I recently purchased the Air Venturi Avenger. 22 caliber, 10 shot magazine, 300 Bar (4,300 psi) . Shooting a 15.89 grain pellet at 870 FPS. At 50 yard, my best 5 shot group was 5/8th inch. Cost of the air rifle $300. The big cost was the air compressor at about $400. Too darn old and tired to use a hand pump. Due to the ammo shortage and reloading components, this was my way to have some fun range time and help maintain my shooting skills. This will also make a great very small game meat provider.

TMT get youself some pieces of pork with the skin still on, a watermelon and a couple of cans of spam. them measure your nice new gun at domestic and back yard ranges. Your gun is doing at least 22 ft pound, which means it could do serious harm if neccessary.

This article suggests HIGHER power Let's Tune The Air Venturi Avenger - Part One - Hard Air Magazine

TMT you should like this Air Venturi Avenger Full Power Tune - Part Two - Hard Air Magazine

Air Venturi Avenger Full Power Tune – Part Two

by Stephen ArcherJune 10, 2020

Air Venturi Avenger Full Power Tune

In the last post in this series, we looked at the performance of the .22 caliber Air Venturi Avenger in factory tune condition. This time, we’ll go for an Avenger full power tune. The results are very impressive for a $300 air rifle!
Last time we concluded that the Avenger was set by the factory to somewhere about the maximum regulator pressure setting of 2,900 PSI. But it seemed that the hammer was not striking the valve hard enough for that reg setting, hence the “peaky” shot curve.
So, the obvious solution was to increase the hammer spring tension. This is adjusted using a 2.5 mm Allen (hex) wrench engaged through an aperture in the rear of the pressure tube.
HAM-Power-Tune-2.jpg

It was surprisingly hard to rotate the Allen key. However I turned it about two turns clockwise until it stopped. That was maximum hammer spring tension.
Next, I fired 10 shots using the same 14.66 Grain H&N Field Target Trophy pellets that we used to establish “out of the box” performance. Full hammer spring tension gave a significant increase in Muzzle Velocity – from 920 FPS in factory tune to 1,032 FPS.
That represented a healthy increase in Muzzle Energy from 27.52 Ft/Lbs to 34.68 Ft/Lbs. But 1,032 FPS was definitely likely to be too fast for accurate shooting.
To slow down the Avenger, I then ran 10-shot strings of successively-heavier pellets over the Chronograph. These were 21.14 Grain H&N Baracudas, 25.39 Grain JSB Jumbo Monsters and 32.40 Grain Eunjin heavies. That certainly did the trick, as the following table shows.

Tune LevelPellet TypePellet WeightMuzzle VelocityMuzzle Energy
FactoryH&N Field Target Trophy14.66 Grain920 FPS27.52 Ft/Lbs
Full PowerH&N Field Target Trophy14.66 Grain1,032 FPS34.68 Ft/Lbs
Full PowerH&N Baracuda21.14 Grain884.72 FPS36.75 Ft/Lbs
Full PowerJSB Jumbo Monster25.39 Grain818.71 FPS37.80 Ft/Lbs
Full PowerEunjin Pointed32.4 Grain712.00 FPS36.48 Ft/Lbs
Looking at a graphical version of the same data makes it easy to see how the power (orange bars) peaks, then falls with heavier pellets. The red dots show the corresponding Muzzle Velocities.
Air Venturi Avenger Full Power Tune - Part Two

Armed with this information, I decided that the 21.14 Grain H&N Baracudas would be my choice of pellet for the Avenger full power tune. That was because the Baracudas gave a healthy 884.72 FPS Muzzle Velocity for the 10-shot string. That’s right in the “sweet spot” of FPS for accuracy, as found in our previous mega-analysis of HAM test data.
Undoubtedly the Jumbo Monsters would also be a great choice. But for this exercise, I chose to forsake a little energy for the flatter shot curve of a slightly higher velocity.
So, with decision made for the Baracudas, I refilled the Avenger to its full 4,250 PSI fill pressure. Now to test the shot curve!
Air Venturi Avenger Full Power Tune - Part Two

As you can see from the graph above, we now have a much flatter shot curve until fill pressure drops below that of the regulator setting at shot 59.
You can probably say that even more hammer spring tension would be required to completely flatten the curve. But we now have an Extreme Spread of 19.78 FPS, which is very creditable for 59 shots.
With an average Muzzle Velocity of 884.18 FPS across those 59 shots, that represents an average Muzzle Energy of 36.71 Ft/Lbs. That’s considerably above the figure of 34 Ft/Lbs shown on the Pyramyd Air website for the .22 caliber Avenger. It also represents excellent performance for a $300 PCP .22 caliber air rifle.
I think a “WOW” is in order

Very good info, Billmasen, thanks for the post . My chronograph arrives tomorrow and serious testing begins next Thursday. I have three different pellet weights, so I should be able to find the optimal power AND accuracy setting. The only thing I need to work out, is where I can do the air reservoir refilling. Safety rules at the range require all weapons be uncased at the shooting bench and there are NO outlets there. I do have access to outlets near the firing line but that would requiring the rifle barrel to be pointed up and the rifle placed in a rack. I will see if I can use the backroom of the club house. Being a Range Safety Officer there, I should have a few privilege's. LOL

Latest posts

Back