Cloths

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering what people are thinking about colths. It is an item I see forgotten about. What happens when your pants get ripped to the point where you can't use them anymore? This is why I'd suggest that people think about getting some spare colths that you keep stored away. I suggest roughly 4-5 pairs of spare pants, 4-5 sweeters and quite a few spairs of spare socks and underwear.

Thanks for takimg the time to read and consider what I've said.

- Tyler

Good thought, I imagine it would pay off to hold onto your old clothes rather than throw them away.

It would pay off I'd think but only keep things that are still functional. Don't keep torn are still colourful cloths. Just think smart about clothing when you think about your stash

A good place to find good sturdy clothing to put back for preps would be Salvation Army or Goodwill types of stores. Don't forget to get several different sizes because your weight is going to fluctuate due to reduced calories and extra work. If you have kids, hit every rummage sale you can and pick up clothes of all sizes. If something is too big at the moment, it can be taken in and hemmed to fit and then the seams taken out as the child grows. Use unwearable jeans for patches over the knees of good jeans to make that high stress area stronger.

Most importantly. Learn to sew. It's not a sissy thing to do and if it keeps your hind end from shining for all to see you'll appreciate the skill.

I agree with every word Anorak said.Also,never throw out old or worn out clothes.We save all of ours and my wife washes and then cuts them into usable sized strips.There will be a day when your tp will run out.Even though some may think of the "ewww" factor here,but it'll beat the heck out of leaves or nothing at all,and they can be washed and boiled to sterilize and reuse.Women can use the strips for their "personal needs" as well.There will be alot more than dignity to worry about after shtf.

Yea, one thing that alot of people forget about when they toss away clothing is that it might serve a purpose down the road. I see tons of people getting rid of cloths and wanted to let others think about storing them or keeping them for the future. Just remember more muted colours. Don't want to run around in bright red shirts in the winter

And don't forget, larger clothes can be taken apart and made into childrens clothing. Old clothes can also be cut into quilting squares, so there's another use for them. You can braid strips of old clothes together and then make rugs from those, and the list can go on and on.

If pants or shirts get beyond repair around here, they can be made into a quilt, oven mitt, a cover for whatever (recently a cover for the piglets in the playpen that we are bottle feeding), a halter to hold up an ailing animal, rags etc. Use it until it can't be used any more.

I've thought about this. Its my goal to get myself and my husband some really good hiking boots. If we don't spend a lot of money on anything else, a good pair of boots will be the ONE thing you can't do without. Another is warm clothing for winter, and really good blankets. If you end up bugging out and you don't have warm enough clothing in winter, you'll freeze to death. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that you won't always be able to build a fire, especially at night, because you may not want anyone seeing it and knowing where you are. Other than this, just make sure you have some basic sewing skills to repair clothing, and make sure you have at least a change of pants and two or three shirts.

As for the fire in the winter, if you keep it small and controlled and use just wood and only dry things you prevent the fire from being seen and little smoke production. Hiking boots are critical. I have recently placed a blanket in my BOB. Sewing is important, I suck at it, very little practice as my best friend' sister is a seamstress

That's why in my bug out bag I keep extra shirts, socks, and underwear, but need to find a good pair of pants to put in there. Ironic thing is my last pair that I was going to put in there.. ripped.

If I were you, I'd spend the little extra and get silk thermal longjohns. They keep you nice and toasty. I think you can get them in union suit style as well. I wear the silk bottom in the winter under long skirts when I'm outside doing chores.

If just looking for SHTF clothes, thrift stores are probably the place to go. No need to make a fashion statement during the apocalypse....

Latest posts

Back