Clothing (supplies for the long term)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petoski

God Like
Reaction score
I am looking at clothing options post SHTF. One possibility is to buy a lifetime supply now and hope I would be able to keep the same physique. With this brings the added problem of finding quality, long-lasting products. One other possibility is to buy the materials and make my own when needed. Latterly, I could scavenge what I need from the wastelands after the apocalypse or go completely native and make clothing from animal skins and plant materials. This would require the learning of additional skills.

Shoes will be most important as they wear out and once you reach adulthood your size won’t change so you could get a few good pairs. Cover clothes for summer ( no sunscreen) and thermals, big coats and socks for winter. I’ve had some of my clothes for 15 years, as long as they’re good quality, they should last. Let’s face it you’re not likely to get any fatter, won’t matter if they are a bit baggy. And hats.

Yeah footwear is an issue. I always buy 2 pairs at a time but I also wear the same for most activities and only get 1 year out of them. I am yet to find a comfortable pair of boots or shoes that will last much longer than that. I am not a big fan of boots because they rub my ankle. Would be cool to learn how to make some traditional moccasins or Sami nutukas.

In our household we identified what type of clothing we were most comfortable in and wore the most, then we compared them with what we thought we would need in a post apoc environment and realised (A) the need was similar (B) workwear was ESSENTIAL. So we tend to find the workwear we like ( Approach shoes, Jeans, T shirts, Polo's Hoodys, Fleeces, Soft shells and at least one Parka each. Socks, Smalls etc) and bulk buy when we find them on offer. We are not bothered about brands we favour durability and comfort, so for example my normal attire is a pair of approach shoes, cotton socks, Denim Jeans or Cotton Cargos, Good quality Leather Belt, Polo shirt, Hoody if its cool, Modified Soft Shell outer (extra pockets and loops) , BB cap, tactical gloves if needed. ONLY Cotton underwear though some slightly elasticated for comfort is used .

I tend to buy footwear for myself in sixes if they are on offer, I buy ten new Polos each year but retain the previous years as a reserve. I buy five or six pairs of jeans each year also retaining the previous years, Two Hoodys and one Soft Shell a year again retains the previous years.

My wife prefers fitted T shirts, Son prefers Loose T shirts, Daughter anything she fancies.

Many of our clothes get modified with extra hidden pockets, Jeans sometime get extra belt loops, Jackets get any damn hook loop velcro removed as soon as we buy them. ( Velco being the enemy of silence a tactical neccessity) .

Clothing and footwear maintence is obsessive in our family, we cared for clothing and footwear lasts much longer than neglected clothing.

The hardest thing to source in the UK is good quality 1.5 in wide leather belts, most of what is available is far to soft and flexible for sustained use and carrying knives, pouches, holsters etc. I'm not keen on tactical nylon belts for the fire risk issue, same for most synthetic clothings ( Cept Soft Shells)

I pretty much wear the same day in day out, summer and winter, with the addition of a fully lined combat jacket in the winter.
I stock trail boots in 4 at a time, sometimes 6 depending on the deal I can get, there are good for walking and driving without having to change between either.
I keep leather belts for trousers and jeans and webbing belts for carrying stuff.
I have enough clothes to last me for several years probably more.

I guess the first question I would ask is realistically, how long do you think you will need this extra clothing? 20-30-40 years? For me 20 years would be an optimistic stretch. How long does your clothing last now? Do you wear things out so they are unusable, or do you get tired of them so they just sit in a closet or a dresser drawer and never get used? I think we all get new things whether it is Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, Mother's Day, Father's Day you name it. We don't "NEED" anything but we get it. We have A LOT of clothes. More than we will ever need in our lifetime.

That said if you are looking for long term SHTF clothing I would look for very sturdy brands. I have had very good luck with 5.1.1. I would lean toward brands that are geared toward heavy duty work. I would buy one size that fits now; one size larger; and one size smaller allowing for weight gain or loss in both directions. The quantity of what you buy would depend on how you answered the earlier questions.

If there was a total societal collapse IMHO foot ware would be the hardest thing to make. Your shoe size will increase with age. I am not making this up. This is a quote from the Harvard Medical School:

By the time you reach your 50th birthday, you've probably also reached another milestone: you've put 75,000 miles on your feet. You may reach this milestone much earlier if you've led a foot-active lifestyle. By age 50, you may have lost nearly half of the fatty padding on the soles of your feet. And you may be wearing a shoe that's a size bigger than what you wore in your 20s, in part because of weight gain that puts greater pressure on your feet, and in part because your ligaments and tendons have lost some of their elasticity (which also predisposes them to potentially painful ruptures or microtears). If you've given birth, you have another reason for the increase in shoe size: hormones released during pregnancy also cause ligaments to relax.

My work boots have lasted a long time. There is no doubt in my mind that my current inventory, at least six pairs, will last far longer than I will, even if I wore them every day in harsh work conditions. Maybe I am just not hard on shoes, but even the ones I wear every day last for a few years.

I might focus more on undergarments and socks. Those will wear out.

The hardest thing to source in the UK is good quality 1.5 in wide leather belts, most of what is available is far to soft and flexible for sustained use and carrying knives, pouches, holsters etc. I'm not keen on tactical nylon belts for the fire risk issue, same for most synthetic clothings ( Cept Soft Shells)
Hard to find in the US too unless you know where to look. My last gunbelt was somewhat of a disappointment. I am now wearing a Hanks Extreme 1 3/4" belt which is nearly 1/4" thick. I got it because I needed a belt that would hold up to carrying my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter which weighs 52 ounces (1.47 kilograms). Unfortunately they don't ship overseas.
https://www.hanksbelts.com/collecti...eme-concealed-carry-gun-belt-17-oz-1-75-width

Since my foot surgeries, and more to come, foot wear is a Big issue for me. I now have 2 different size feet so I have to buy 2 different sizes or get those special orthopedic shoes, which I can't afford! But the best pair of boots I have ever had were Texas Steer that I bought at K-Mart years ago! They have lasted for years with constant wearing, spray water proofing on them every once in a while, buy extra boot strings and I am good to go in them. I have recently bought 2 more pair, one a 10 1/2 and one a 11 1/2 extra wides to fit my "new" feet. In an emergency, I can wear the smaller size on the big foot if need be. I am saving to buy 2 more pair because I Love these boots, they last a very long time and I believe in them! Clothes, I have been wearing the same size, and alot of the same clothes, for the last 10 years. But I am stocking up on All clothing and buying sewing kits and keeping my old manual Singer sewing machine!

Since my foot surgeries, and more to come, foot wear is a Big issue for me. I now have 2 different size feet so I have to buy 2 different sizes or get those special orthopedic shoes, which I can't afford! But the best pair of boots I have ever had were Texas Steer that I bought at K-Mart years ago! They have lasted for years with constant wearing, spray water proofing on them every once in a while, buy extra boot strings and I am good to go in them. I have recently bought 2 more pair, one a 10 1/2 and one a 11 1/2 extra wides to fit my "new" feet. In an emergency, I can wear the smaller size on the big foot if need be. I am saving to buy 2 more pair because I Love these boots, they last a very long time and I believe in them! Clothes, I have been wearing the same size, and alot of the same clothes, for the last 10 years. But I am stocking up on All clothing and buying sewing kits and keeping my old manual Singer sewing machine!

You could swap over one of the shoes to a different box in the shop I doubt they will notice at the checkout.

You could swap over one of the shoes to a different box in the shop I doubt they will notice at the checkout.
I have actually thought about that! But my conscious gets the better of me and think about what if I was buying the pair that I mismatched? Of course in a survival situation I would not mind doing it. At least the pair that is biggest, I can still use on the other foot, just use an extra sock or thicker ones! Plus K-Mart is going out of business and there are no more stores near me, I have to order on line so no box swapping! Still Love the boots though!

Do not turn your nose up to discount store items. A long time ago I had the need for all black athletic shoes. I had never used a pair of all black athletic shoes ever. Not knowing if this need would continue I didn't want to spend a great deal of money for something that might just sit in the closet, so I bought a pair of shoes at Wal Mart. Fast forward 23 years. I am still doing that job that requires all black athletic shoes. The first Wal Mart pair lasted about 15 years, and I am still wearing the second pair. These get pretty heavy use for at least half the year. I definitely found a diamond in the rough.

The only athletic shoes I have bought for many years have been New Balance, which are made in the US, are made to fit Americans not Chinese (sizes up to 20 EEEEEE!), and last much much much longer than any other brand I've owned. I wore Walmart athletic shoes until they no longer had any that fit my 4E feet, but those never lasted a year before they were falling apart. My New Balance shoes have lasted for YEARS.

If SHTF, I would expect to spend added time outdoors gathering materials and food. Outdoors means you will get wet. Have you ever tried drying cotton clothes on the go? Good luck! I can understand the cotton socks and underwear, but I would focus on a few good wool items to put over that cotton. Cotton is cellulose and cellulose is glucose molecules linked together. The glucose molecule is surrounded by hydroxyl groups that hydrogen bont to water, and removal of that water is an energy intensive process.

Wool, on the other hand, can be taken off, rung out, smacked against a tree a few times and it will be dry enough to keep you from becoming hypothermic. If you plan to get wet, cotton can kill you. Get a few sets of good wool clothes for those winter days you plan on being out for a while.

Latest posts

Back