Chilean volcano pointers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
This is fascinating the Chilean government ordered a 12 mile evacuation of a town near a volcano in Chile last night, set aside the CAUSE IE the Volcano (unless of course those Icelandic ones let rip or Mt St Helens ) but focus on the order to evacuate a modern westernised town.

The government ordered everyone within twelve miles of the volcano to leave, Five things happened

1. All the ATM Cash machines failed within minutes and people rushed to get cash to buy supplies with

2. The Credit card system went down in minutes as it was overwhelmed

3. Stores were overwhelmed by people seeking supplies and bottled water

4. The petrol stations all ran out of fuel within a couple of hours causing the beginning of major trouble which was number 5

5. The entire regional road network ground to a complete halt as the volume of traffic plus many motorists running out of fuel, plus breakdowns saw the road system overwhelmed.

A major modern town transformed from normality to gridlocked chaos in under 6 hours. Learn the lessons.

We learned that with each hurricane. When there's an active storm threatening, we always are sure to stay topped out on gas, and have cash at hand. Of course, we have our normal preps, but we also have a few "storm" things we get too (only when a storm is close).

1. Extra gas in gas cans
2. More candles and lamp oil
3. Battery powered fans (gets hot here without AC) and/or batteries for them
4. Cheap styrofoam coolers (and bags of ice)
5. Fill up all propane containers
6. Pictures of any new major purchases
7. More canned goods
8. Bottled Water cases
9. Chainsaw fuel (and make sure all fire extinguishers are charged)
10. New books, alcohol (to keep entertained, lol)

If it's eminent that we'll get high winds, we'll:

1. Make sure extra tarps are clean, and that we have duct tape
2. Gather up loose yard items and store them
3. Bolt on the window boards
4. Close up the stable (and window shutters)
5. Cover the bunnies and the chickens (tarps that are clipped on)
6. Park the vehicles well away from any trees
7. Have the Kitchen TV always on local weather station during storm
8. Close and lock all gates

We learned that with each hurricane. When there's an active storm threatening, we always are sure to stay topped out on gas, and have cash at hand. Of course, we have our normal preps, but we also have a few "storm" things we get too (only when a storm is close).

1. Extra gas in gas cans
2. More candles and lamp oil
3. Battery powered fans (gets hot here without AC) and/or batteries for them
4. Cheap styrofoam coolers (and bags of ice)
5. Fill up all propane containers
6. Pictures of any new major purchases
7. More canned goods
8. Bottled Water cases
9. Chainsaw fuel (and make sure all fire extinguishers are charged)
10. New books, alcohol (to keep entertained, lol)

If it's eminent that we'll get high winds, we'll:

1. Make sure extra tarps are clean, and that we have duct tape
2. Gather up loose yard items and store them
3. Bolt on the window boards
4. Close up the stable (and window shutters)
5. Cover the bunnies and the chickens (tarps that are clipped on)
6. Park the vehicles well away from any trees
7. Have the Kitchen TV always on local weather station during storm
8. Close and lock all gates
I lived most of my life in fla., so I'm real familiar with the hurricane drills too. It never ceased to amaze me how many there wait till the day before a storm to go out and try to stock up on anything, meaning the stores are allready bare. Plywood for all the windows was always on my list too. I had pre cut panels at the ready, stored out in the pole barn.

thought about the windows..i figure some real good heavy duty n thick curtains that blocks out sun light.the kind that day time sleepers use.

Just watching the disaster unfurl in Nepal and the death toll rise to 1400 and wondering if any of the dormant fault lines in other ranges could let slip say in Scotland or the Rockies. I mean the New Madrid still goes off occasionally and we get loads of little quakes in the UK.

next time I get some cash,have to buy some tarps,just in case I have to drape the windows and make it look dark.
That's not something I would have thought of. Not being noticed is better than having a confrontation any day! Another reason I really like this site!

this is the one thing more I like it here,new ideas every time you come here.
those tarps might even offer some protection against broken glass..

yeah.so many good ideas here..even ideas that a person comes up with,might get improved on in some way or another..yeah.less broken glass in the home.the better..

Jim can you not buy clear self adhesive glass laminating film in the US of the type used by mums and dads with young kids to stop kids from running through glass doors? . Its sold in DIY stores etc in the UK.

yeah,the laminating film can be bought here alright..but yet,how many ppl are actually gonna invest money in that,when they prefer something else?. but yet the laminating film is a good idea thoe.especially when it's done up right..

Latest posts

Back