Children & Bugging Out

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
My neighborhood had a forced evacuation due to a ruptured gas main about a week ago. While it showed me some areas for self improvement, it also showed me the importance of getting the kids involved.

What I did after we were allowed back home was each kid made a list of what they thought was important to bring in their own bug out bag. Some of the items were quite amusing. For example, my son felt Legos were a great item for bartering with.

All of the kids felt video systems like Nintendo DS, PSP, etc were paramount.

I then had all of the kids read off what they had on their list and why they thought it was important. There were several "I forgot about that," or "Why didn't I think about that."

They then re wrote their list after everything was explained to include what the primary reason for the bug out bag is. In our case we live in earthquake country. So they felt it was important to focus on preparing for earthquakes.

I did impart on them the importance of trying to make their bag as "All inclusive" as possible as many items are needed no matter the incident that happens.

For example here in California we have earthquakes, mudslides, fires, Gov. Jerry Brown, two (2) nuclear power plants, and a-holes who like to riot after the lakers either won or lost some game, play-off or championship.

All in all the kids really enjoyed being a part of the preparation for the next time. After witnessing this I encourage everyone to include their kids in the preparations. They do bring an interesting perspective as to what is or is not important an item.

Does anyone else involve their children?

I would, however, my whole household doesnt get down with survivalism as i do.(damn shame really
my kids are too young, i think, to understand the grasp of it, and like your kids, i think their toys would be their "necessitys" (Legos LOL).

I would, however, my whole household doesnt get down with survivalism as i do.(damn shame really
my kids are too young, i think, to understand the grasp of it, and like your kids, i think their toys would be their "necessitys" (Legos LOL).
The youngest one I have is 7, and seems to grasp the concept pretty well.

my youngest is 4 months, next 3 years and MY oldest is almost 5. my step-kids are 11 and 10, i think they'd get the point but their father probably wouldnt let them (@#$*§bag)
my 5 year old son might get it, but knowing him he'd bug me asking "whens Doomsday" and "Is Doomsday today" on a more than constent bases.
(btw im making it a mission to find a good use for Legos now LOL maybe fishing bobbers?)

my youngest is 4 months, next 3 years and MY oldest is almost 5. my step-kids are 11 and 10, i think they'd get the point but their father probably wouldnt let them (@#$*§bag)
my 5 year old son might get it, but knowing him he'd bug me asking "whens Doomsday" and "Is Doomsday today" on a more than constent bases.
(btw im making it a mission to find a good use for Legos now LOL maybe fishing bobbers?)
I guess they could be used in a sling shot at close range... LOL

ROFL!
could you imagine getting ambushed with slingshots of Legos?
ROFL!
i can imagine the question from the wife, "whats that inprint on your forehead of a square and 4 little dots, and wheres our gear???"
HAHAHA!

ROFL!
could you imagine getting ambushed with slingshots of Legos?
ROFL!
i can imagine the question from the wife, "whats that inprint on your forehead of a square and 4 little dots, and wheres our gear???"
HAHAHA!
Nothing like getting ambushed by a bunch of 6 year olds wielding lego loaded slingshots and nerf guns!

My neighborhood had a forced evacuation due to a ruptured gas main about a week ago. While it showed me some areas for self improvement, it also showed me the importance of getting the kids involved.

What I did after we were allowed back home was each kid made a list of what they thought was important to bring in their own bug out bag. Some of the items were quite amusing. For example, my son felt Legos were a great item for bartering with.

All of the kids felt video systems like Nintendo DS, PSP, etc were paramount.

I then had all of the kids read off what they had on their list and why they thought it was important. There were several "I forgot about that," or "Why didn't I think about that."

They then re wrote their list after everything was explained to include what the primary reason for the bug out bag is. In our case we live in earthquake country. So they felt it was important to focus on preparing for earthquakes.

I did impart on them the importance of trying to make their bag as "All inclusive" as possible as many items are needed no matter the incident that happens.

For example here in California we have earthquakes, mudslides, fires, Gov. Jerry Brown, two (2) nuclear power plants, and a-holes who like to riot after the lakers either won or lost some game, play-off or championship.

All in all the kids really enjoyed being a part of the preparation for the next time. After witnessing this I encourage everyone to include their kids in the preparations. They do bring an interesting perspective as to what is or is not important an item.

Does anyone else involve their children?

Very cool, We try to think up several things to use one item of gear for,
my son comes up with all kinds of suggestions. Our rule is, get safe, then if you can, grab the bag.
I will cash in if we start bartering legos.

Very cool, We try to think up several things to use one item of gear for,
my son comes up with all kinds of suggestions. Our rule is, get safe, then if you can, grab the bag.
I will cash in if we start bartering legos.
Tell me about it! If legos become currency, I'm the next Donald Trump!

Latest posts

Back