Chicks, Chickens and Quackers!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week when I was feeding the chickens I noticed one of the hens was acting strange. She was flapping her wings, spinning around in circles and was puking up a clear fluid. She flopped around a little more and then dropped dead. Never seen anything like it before.
Has anyone here have that happen with your chickens?

Almost sounds like poisoning.

Last week our baby ducks came in the mail. I think it was the day before we evacuated. The wife put them in a clear pastic box on the floor of our bedroom! That silly woman loves her critters. I just about have the new duck house built so I'll be moving them out probably tomorrow. Since she's at work now she won't know that I evicted them.
If we ever get any moisture where I can dig some post holes I'll start on building a run for the ducks.

Last week our baby ducks came in the mail. I think it was the day before we evacuated. The wife put them in a clear pastic box on the floor of our bedroom! That silly woman loves her critters. I just about have the new duck house built so I'll be moving them out probably tomorrow. Since she's at work now she won't know that I evicted them.
If we ever get any moisture where I can dig some post holes I'll start on building a run for the ducks.

Ahhh, post some pictures of these little quackers please!

Here's a new one to me. We have a duck sitting on a nest of eggs, plus we have a hen sitting on the duck eggs with her. We haven’t had a rooster around in months. When the duck goes out to eat the hen stays on the eggs. The hen will even put her wing over the duck. Strange critters.

A good mama is a good mama to all and always a baby in need ❤ I had an old hound dog once that kept stealing the neighbors new born kittens and bringing them home and even trying to nurse them. Would have been okay if he wasn't a male dog. Takes someone smarter than me to figure that one out.

Picked up 11 baby meat chicks from Tractor today...50 cents a piece, couldn't resist that. Cleared them out. They had their usual 2 stock tanks of other chicks, all mixed breed, couldn't say what breed they were, but said they were all pullets for 50 cents each. Someone mixed up the tags again. Ha.
So the meats are upstairs in a brooder. Downstairs brooders are 27 guineas, and 13 chicken chicks. More due on 7/1. Baby turkeys are on the porch, day 2 of working on their run and I had to go get more wire.

Had to put down a skunk that was trying to get in our coop, I heard a ruckus around 2:00 am this morning so I grabbed the ole Remington 597 - 22 wmr and put him down. I was going to dispose of him when I got off work but the only thing left was a few clumps of hair. Seems like the buzzards beat me to it, I’m glad tho it was hot here today.

There are alot of predators out there. We are working on day 3 of the turkey run. We build them like Ft Knox. Top wiring, bottom wire sunk on the ground and held with large blocks. That's just for the outside run. Alot of work, but once it's made, it lasts a very long time.

I’m considering getting a worm composter to grow worms for by chickens. When we can no longer buy chicken feed this might be very useful. Anyone else ever try one of these? Opinions?

1639313783487.jpeg

It seems like an easy and useful way to dispose of kitchen scraps. This composted can be increased to 8 trays.

I’m considering getting a worm composter to grow worms for by chickens. When we can no longer buy chicken feed this might be very useful. Anyone else ever try one of these? Opinions?

View attachment 14451

It seems like an easy and useful way to dispose of kitchen scraps. This composted can be increased to 8 trays.
We're looking at doing the same thing, only with a couple of old chest freezers that we can pick up at the dump for free. I'll put a valve in one end to drain out the worm "tea". The wife wants to raise some rabbits. Their waste makes great worm food too.

I have that exact thing. The trickiest thing about it is to find a good place for it. I kept ours in a garage.
Can't get too hot or too cold. Worms do reproduce, but not as fast as you'd think. I'd feed some to the chickens, but mostly I used the worm tea and the casings for the garden. The valve can get clogged a bit if you've neglected it for a month. I haven't set it up again since we've moved, but just saw the box and thinking about ordering red wigglers in the spring. This system is easier than the "drill holes in a tote" idea

We're looking at doing the same thing, only with a couple of old chest freezers that we can pick up at the dump for free. I'll put a valve in one end to drain out the worm "tea". The wife wants to raise some rabbits. Their waste makes great worm food too.

Sounds like a cool way to make worm tea to me! Tell her I so agree on adding rabbits! Personally I think rabbits are a must in a shaky economy. Especially when one’s government is causing the supply chain to have issues. Hubby finally decided yesterday I could have a large shed/small barn built for rabbits, as well as feed for our other animals. Right now it is stored in an addition we had added to the entire back of the garage. It just isn’t conveniently situated on our property. So I am smiling like a fool! 😁

I have that exact thing. The trickiest thing about it is to find a good place for it. I kept ours in a garage.
Can't get too hot or too cold. Worms do reproduce, but not as fast as you'd think. I'd feed some to the chickens, but mostly I used the worm tea and the casings for the garden. The valve can get clogged a bit if you've neglected it for a month. I haven't set it up again since we've moved, but just saw the box and thinking about ordering red wigglers in the spring. This system is easier than the "drill holes in a tote" idea

Thank you for your valuable input! Was hoping one of the group had used one. Will get one in the early spring and try it out. If it works for me, I might get another just so I have more worms. Do you use the 8 layers or just 4?

I have four. It takes awhile to get a layer done. Each tray has some grid holes on the bottom, and when processing a "done" tray, I didn't ever find an easy way to do it. Would just take the bottom done tray, bring it in to the kitchen bar, lay it on newspaper, use my hands to pick out the worms and put them back in the next worm tray. Scraped out the casings, and would usually get a gallon ziplock of casings (poop) from each tray. Throw that in your garden. Mine came with a dvd on how to use it and it's very easy. But I wouldn't keep it in the house. I had to keep ours moist (not wet) but I had it set up in the garage in New Mexico for a number of years (same worms) and the humidity is pretty nil there. I'm in a higher humidity place now, and I bet it would hold moisture. I really should order some worms, but I'll put it on my spring to do list. When worms get stressed they form a ball, picture a moving ball of yarn. So when you order them, they come that way.

Latest posts

Back