Chicks, Chickens and Quackers!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks GP. It's hard to see in the pic but the orchard is behind (east) of the coop and the berries and grapes on the right side (south). And the pig pen is between the orchard and garden and next to the small corral.
I didn't insulate the coop, instead I put up 1/2" plywood on the interior walls and celing. There's large windows on the south and east walls. In winter we cover the windows with clear plastic. The hens have 8 nest boxes and 3 roost bars. I built a small feed room that holds several months of feed, scratch, empty egg cartons and miscellaneous stuff. Inside we have a hanging feeder that holds about 40 pounds of feed.
Outside we have 3 rubber tubs for water. We water outside year round. We tried watering inside and the dang birds make a big mess, which would freeze solid in winter. Once the garden is done for the year we open the run and let the hens out. I put their water buckets under the hydrant. It's real easy to knock the ice out of the bucket and refill. We usually have to water them twice a day in cold weather, Oct to May.

OK, I’m drooling over your farm/ranch! 😄 Would love to have more animals...goats, sheep and a pig every year. Would absolutely love to have a beef cow too, perhaps a miniature one. With under 10 acres, just not sure we have enough acreage. Plus my husband is not on board with it. Just praying chickens and rabbits will sustain us when the stores are empty. No doubt that time is coming. You have what most would consider the ideal setup. You’ve done great Arctic!

Being where we are it doesn’t get that cold. I do put the waterers on heaters in the winter. If it gets below 29 I turn on the heat lamp in the coop. It’s controllable by phone luckily. My hen house is thick rough sawn timbers too. They have zero signs of wear or aging. Very happy with how it is holding up. Oh, and how funny that you have a feed shed! I do too. Works out really well for me.

Last edited:
Those coops are way too fancy. Very nice, but we're talking about dirty nasty chickens. Go to Pods, those people that bring a 8x5x 7' box to put your stuff in, and they move it to your new house or put it into storage. After a few years they 'retire' the plywood boxes. Still in great shape. I've gotten some for free (banged up), and a while back got some for $50. I think they are more now, but you still can't buy the plywood for that $$. Build in some nest boxes, add ventilation, paint it, and you have a nice, cheap coop. Or get a few & have several coops! Secret is to not talk to the idiots at the front desk. Drive around back & talk to the dock guys.

What a fabulous idea Tex!!

And out of the rain. . . Goats hate getting wet They're prissy that way. :) Old roll up garage doors make for a really cheap barn. Check with your local garage door dealer. Here we get the old ones for nothing along with the panels. Most are already wind rated, at least in our atea. The only thing we have to buy for a new barn is the frame work and nails.

And out of the rain. . . Goats hate getting wet They're prissy that way. :) Old roll up garage doors make for a really cheap barn. Check with your local garage door dealer. Here we get the old ones for nothing along with the panels. Most are already wind rated, at least in our atea. The only thing we have to buy for a new barn is the frame work and nails.
a drizzle is all it takes for them to run for cover,,,my chickens will stay out in a pouring rain

The wife is ordering some day old ducks soon to replace the 11 that got eaten by coyotes. She's ordering some fawn and white runners, khaki campbells and harliquen ducks. When I get home on Monday I'll finish building the duck house. Then when we get some moisture in the ground I can put the posts in to finish their run.

as long as my chickens stay inside the goat yard they are safe,,,,,,I have yotes fox and bobcats here,,,,,owls and hawks also,,,raccoons will also kill chickens and lets not forget opossums even skunks will kill your chickens,,,,and we are loaded with skunks
We don't have skunk, coon or possums here. But we do have every other preditor including bear, fox, wolf, weasel and badger. This fall and winter I'll trap the coyotes pretty hard around the place. We lost a baby calf in February to coyotes. Can't afford any more losses.

we do have these three but I have never seen one around here and I did not know that bears would kill chickens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you learn something new all the time
So far the only problem that I've had with bears is one came in the front porch and stole the dogs food container. I have seen bear tracks around the coop and I could see where he stopped and looked in the window. Usually there's plenty of other food around for the bears so I'm not too worried about them.

Last week when I was feeding the chickens I noticed one of the hens was acting strange. She was flapping her wings, spinning around in circles and was puking up a clear fluid. She flopped around a little more and then dropped dead. Never seen anything like it before.
Has anyone here have that happen with your chickens?

Last week when I was feeding the chickens I noticed one of the hens was acting strange. She was flapping her wings, spinning around in circles and was puking up a clear fluid. She flopped around a little more and then dropped dead. Never seen anything like it before.
Has anyone here have that happen with your chickens?

Are any of your other chickens sick?

My better half thought it good idea and brought home 10 chics …. We never raised chic … we have no coop … no feed .. nor the know what the heck to do with them. they are cute, but smelling up my house. ::rolleyes: yes they are inside a pool with a lamp in the spare room until ….. I don't know.... HELP!!!!!! YouTube here I come. need a coop and secure running room , feed , Headed to the feed n seed for a pro

We don't have skunk, coon or possums here. But we do have every other preditor including bear, fox, wolf, weasel and badger. This fall and winter I'll trap the coyotes pretty hard around the place. We lost a baby calf in February to coyotes. Can't afford any more losses.

My son in Ohio traps coyotes hard too. He hates those things and of course it’s because they kill things. One winter it seemed like he sent me pics of a couple he got almost daily for awhile.

My better half thought it good idea and brought home 10 chics …. We never raised chic … we have no coop … no feed .. nor the know what the heck to do with them. they are cute, but smelling up my house. ::rolleyes: yes they are inside a pool with a lamp in the spare room until ….. I don't know.... HELP!!!!!! YouTube here I come. need a coop and secure running room , feed , Headed to the feed n seed for a pro

I love my girls. Have raised hens for 5 years now. What type did you get?

Latest posts

Back