Chicks, Chickens and Quackers!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn’t see a thread on chickens and other fowl so thought I would start one. Even though I have had chickens for 5 years, I feel like I’m still learning and improving on raising them. Had ducks for awhile, but boy did I not do well with them. Most likely it was my inability that was the problem.

Here is a picture of the front of my chicken house. It isn’t that wide, but is longer. (6‘ x 10’). The run is larger and of course we have lots of land for them to roam on when I let them. Inside are two 10’ long roosts...one on each side. Right now I have 6 smaller sized chickens as they are Ameraucanas and Golden Comets. If I should ever have to increase my flock size...for a disaster situation, how many do you think I could keep in my chicken house?

Tried to take a picture of the spire and flowers, but didn’t get it all.

1594659787405.jpeg

Your chicken house is a lot fancier than mine. . ;) And it was an upgrade from what we had when first starting out. It is now a small shed a neighbor wanted off his property. Took an aluminium screen door and put chicken wire on the top part then made a latch type door on the other end that can be raised on the outside into the chicken run. Can't really complain, it was basically a free project and I can walk into the coop to collect the eggs. Nesting boxes are just milk crates laid on their sides.

Your chicken house is a lot fancier than mine. . ;) And it was an upgrade from what we had when first starting out. It is now a small shed a neighbor wanted off his property. Took an aluminium screen door and put chicken wire on the top part then made a latch type door on the other end that can be raised on the outside into the chicken run. Can't really complain, it was basically a free project and I can walk into the coop to collect the eggs. Nesting boxes are just milk crates laid on their sides.

I say whatever works for you is best! When growing up, none of my family had anything fancy. Just what worked. My hubby likes to make jokes about how much it cost him per dozen of eggs. :p

How many birds do you think I could safely house at night in there?

Last edited:
I have not seen the inside. I would say at least 20-30 chickens inside

Thank you Rellgar!! Really appreciate your advice! I was thinking at least 20-25 could fit if I had to. The run is large and covered...just because it rains a lot here and I didn’t want it wet and smelly. Looks like a gazebo. I would post a picture, but I’m paranoid someone from around here would see it. Probably shouldn’t have shown the front. It is all in the trees, but we’ve had a lot of contractors here over the years.

Our is only 4ft x 8ft with one side that is double stacked with nesting boxes and then a perch on top. Some slept in the boxes and some stayed on the perch when they cooped up for the night. We had a variety of 24, Rhode Island Reds, Golden and Black Sexlink and Delaware, so all your standard sized chickens. They weren't overcrowded, but the ones on the perch did tend to stay in a huddle and not spread out even though there was room.

So My Son and His Girlfriend went Chicken crazy . We now have dozens of Brahmas , white Longhorns , Cochins , Bantams . They were at Tractor Supply every day this past spring .
Ironically They have just gotten Their own place this week and moving out on Their own for the first time .
Me and the Wife are now empty nesters except They couldn't take Their Chickens .

We maintain only about 10 - 12 laying hens year round for eggs in our covered coop. We also have a tractor that we can use for allowing the chickens to free range through the gardens without worrying about hawks. The tractor can also be used to raise meat chickens seasonally. There is a wire covered run attached to this coop that has a small 4 X 4 duck house. We allow the chickens and 4 ducks both to run in there and put our compost and garden scraps in there for the chickens to scratch through. Most of the time the ducks have free range of the entire property though.

100_6095.JPG

I think our coop is 12×12 and we have 25 hens in the coop. And 25 meat chickens in a 12×24 section of the barn. The wife bought 7 layer chicks to replace some of the older hens. She claims that she's going to reduce her chicken herd down to a dozen or so. I'll believe that when I see it! We have 12 ducks too. They run loose and don't cause any damage like chickens do. She still wants me to build a duck house for them anyway. She wants everyone to have their own shelter.

We maintain only about 10 - 12 laying hens year round for eggs in our covered coop. We also have a tractor that we can use for allowing the chickens to free range through the gardens without worrying about hawks. The tractor can also be used to raise meat chickens seasonally. There is a wire covered run attached to this coop that has a small 4 X 4 duck house. We allow the chickens and 4 ducks both to run in there and put our compost and garden scraps in there for the chickens to scratch through. Most of the time the ducks have free range of the entire property though.

View attachment 10946

Really nice setup DD! I like how it can open all along the side for air or close for cold. Looks sturdy and safe too.

I think our coop is 12×12 and we have 25 hens in the coop. And 25 meat chickens in a 12×24 section of the barn. The wife bought 7 layer chicks to replace some of the older hens. She claims that she's going to reduce her chicken herd down to a dozen or so. I'll believe that when I see it! We have 12 ducks too. They run loose and don't cause any damage like chickens do. She still wants me to build a duck house for them anyway. She wants everyone to have their own shelter.

Wouldn’t mind raising some meat chickens myself. Do you raise them year round or just in the summer? 25 laying hens produce a lot of eggs. What do you do with them all? Do you eat the ducks? We had duck yesterday and wow was it fantastic! I get new hens every year. Don’t keep any that are over 2 1/2 yrs.

Wouldn’t mind raising some meat chickens myself. Do you raise them year round or just in the summer? 25 laying hens produce a lot of eggs. What do you do with them all? Do you eat the ducks? We had duck yesterday and wow was it fantastic! I get new hens every year. Don’t keep any that are over 2 1/2 yrs.
We get our day old meat chicks for mid June delivery. The weather should be warmer by then. This year our last snow was on June 29th.
A couple years ago we tried Red Ranger meat chickens and let them run loose. We didn't like the meat, kind of rough and rubbery. Since then we've only bought Cornish cross. The only issue with them is they're not recommend for our elevation. So far this year we've only lost 2 or 3, last year we had about 10% loss. Got them scheduled to butcher next week.
We sell a few dozen eggs and give away a few dozen more. The dog gets a few eggs and I throw away dozens more. I used to sell eggs through the general store that's about 30 miles from here. I just couldn't get down there on a regular basis to make it worthwhile.
I haven't eaten duck for awhile now. Our Thai housekeeper used to make crispy duck and I loved it.

Very nice Arctic! I like the size and the windows. The run is great! Wish I had made mine a bit larger, but it’s too late now and the number of hens I have do have lots of space. Your area is lovely!
Thanks GP. It's hard to see in the pic but the orchard is behind (east) of the coop and the berries and grapes on the right side (south). And the pig pen is between the orchard and garden and next to the small corral.
I didn't insulate the coop, instead I put up 1/2" plywood on the interior walls and celing. There's large windows on the south and east walls. In winter we cover the windows with clear plastic. The hens have 8 nest boxes and 3 roost bars. I built a small feed room that holds several months of feed, scratch, empty egg cartons and miscellaneous stuff. Inside we have a hanging feeder that holds about 40 pounds of feed.
Outside we have 3 rubber tubs for water. We water outside year round. We tried watering inside and the dang birds make a big mess, which would freeze solid in winter. Once the garden is done for the year we open the run and let the hens out. I put their water buckets under the hydrant. It's real easy to knock the ice out of the bucket and refill. We usually have to water them twice a day in cold weather, Oct to May.

Those coops are way too fancy. Very nice, but we're talking about dirty nasty chickens. Go to Pods, those people that bring a 8x5x 7' box to put your stuff in, and they move it to your new house or put it into storage. After a few years they 'retire' the plywood boxes. Still in great shape. I've gotten some for free (banged up), and a while back got some for $50. I think they are more now, but you still can't buy the plywood for that $$. Build in some nest boxes, add ventilation, paint it, and you have a nice, cheap coop. Or get a few & have several coops! Secret is to not talk to the idiots at the front desk. Drive around back & talk to the dock guys.

Those coops are way too fancy. Very nice, but we're talking about dirty nasty chickens. Go to Pods, those people that bring a 8x5x 7' box to put your stuff in, and they move it to your new house or put it into storage. After a few years they 'retire' the plywood boxes. Still in great shape. I've gotten some for free (banged up), and a while back got some for $50. I think they are more now, but you still can't buy the plywood for that $$. Build in some nest boxes, add ventilation, paint it, and you have a nice, cheap coop. Or get a few & have several coops! Secret is to not talk to the idiots at the front desk. Drive around back & talk to the dock guys.
A lot of my coop was built from lumber left over from the barn construction. The siding is the same as the barn; 1×12 rough cut fir board and bat. The roofing was left over from the barn too.
But speaking of fancy, we have a lot of real hardwood flooring left over from the house construction. The wife wants me to put that on the coop floor. I usually give that silly woman anything she asks for but this time I said NO. I might put it down in the fur shed instead.
I think the nearest PODS place is over 100 miles from here. But that did give me an idea though. I'd like to have a couple small shelters that I could use during calving time (Feb - April). We get a lot of high winds and blowing snow during that time, and some times I need to get a new born calf out of the weather. It would give me a place to stay too at night. Thanks for the idea Tex!

Latest posts

Back