Chickens in winter

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that there will not be many chicken left if they started dropping nukes ,so they might be pretty high priced,but on the other hand who is going to buy them,I expect a high mortality rate among humans
Well if nuke dropping is not what collapses society, then IMO you should have chicken or have knowledge of how to care for them.

Well if nuke dropping is not what collapses society, then IMO you should have chicken or have knowledge of how to care for them.

I know about chickens it is why I don't really care for them,,,,they will eat their own droppings,

I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone else from having them,to me if they are not cooked I don't want them around they are cheap and the store is to close

I know about chickens it is why I don't really care for them,,,,they will eat their own droppings,

I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone else from having them,to me if they are not cooked I don't want them around they are cheap and the store is to close
True. For now....... I like to know what goes in to the food I eat. That's why we'll be raising all of our own beef, pork, chicken and rabbits. We can well afford to buy what we need at the store but what if SHTF and the shelves and coolers are empty? Raising our own food is a big part of our preps.

unless the SHTF there is no reason to keep them all winter,,,,lets pluck them and put them in the freezer and restock the coop when the weather warms back up.....................................I am not a chicken fan,,,sorry

They lay eggs for years though, so not really worth the aggravation of making them meat each year, at least pre SHTF.... Chicken is cheap enough.

No, you really won't save any money keeping chickens. Feed and eggs would offset each other. BUT...the eggs are much better and fresher than those in stores. And better for you. (not to mention, there for you when trucks stop running)....

And, the way I do it, they are really very little trouble. I drop feed and water about every 3 days. The way I've done it, that'll keep for that amount of time for them, so they always have plenty available.

I don't think anyone keeping chickens makes any money out of it unless there doing it commercially and keeping thousands.
I buy eggs from a local guy who has a few running around his yard- half a mile up the road, and I buy chicken meat from a local supplier at our local market which is literally 1 mile from my house, in fact all our meat is brought from people who farm locally-no further than a 7 mile radius, it costs more but I haven't bought supermarket meat for about 15 years now.

They lay eggs for years though, so not really worth the aggravation of making them meat each year, at least pre SHTF.... Chicken is cheap enough.

No, you really won't save any money keeping chickens. Feed and eggs would offset each other. BUT...the eggs are much better and fresher than those in stores. And better for you. (not to mention, there for you when trucks stop running)....

And, the way I do it, they are really very little trouble. I drop feed and water about every 3 days. The way I've done it, that'll keep for that amount of time for them, so they always have plenty available.
You feed them every three days? My question is what did chickens eat prior to the invention of the feed store? Bugs, table scraps, what else did settlers feed their chickens?

You feed them every three days? My question is what did chickens eat prior to the invention of the feed store? Bugs, table scraps, what else did settlers feed their chickens?
grain that they grew,corn for one,towns had grain mills the feed store has been around for a very long time

One thing in winter, once we got more than a few inches of snow on the ground our chickens didn't like coming outside the coop. I'd have to keep an area in their pen cleared before they'd venture outside, and then only when I tossed out some scratch. Clearing the snow became a little bit of a problem for me once we'd get more than 4 feet of snow. When we lived up north we'd get up to 30' of snow fall and our chickens still did good.

Latest posts

Back