chicken/hen house's

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also seen there's a prepper method of preserving them with mineral oil, etc., but really, as long as they are producing, I don't see the need for it.

Mineral oil goes back many many years, the government used to have it posted using mineral oil as a way to preserve eggs though I wouldn't use that method for store bought eggs, olive oil is another method though won't preserve as long as mineral oil.

I have this in my document file. . . don't ask me where I found it, but it was one of those, hmm think I will save this for later moments. Now from my understanding, you can use pickling lime in place of the slacked lime. It is a food grade calcium hydroxide, not the same calcium hydroxide that you buy at the local hardware store used in mortar projects. You can get very sick.

Storing Eggs
Stumbled in while looking for canning recipes.
Just had to give you the "recipe" according to an entry made in my Grandmother's Daybook in 1920...

(Storing Eggs)
In the spring when eggs are plenty pack away and fool the cold storage man. Take a keg and put three gallons of water, one half pint of slacked lime and one pint of common salt in it. stir. Then take a plate and lower the eggs in the water, taking care not to crack the shells. Place board on top of eggs. Put a little lime or salt on it and keep the brine always over eggs. They will be just as fresh two years afterwards.
Have no idea, though, if she ever did this.

I have this in my document file. . . don't ask me where I found it, but it was one of those, hmm think I will save this for later moments. Now from my understanding, you can use pickling lime in place of the slacked lime. It is a food grade calcium hydroxide, not the same calcium hydroxide that you buy at the local hardware store used in mortar projects. You can get very sick.

Storing Eggs
Stumbled in while looking for canning recipes.
Just had to give you the "recipe" according to an entry made in my Grandmother's Daybook in 1920...

(Storing Eggs)
In the spring when eggs are plenty pack away and fool the cold storage man. Take a keg and put three gallons of water, one half pint of slacked lime and one pint of common salt in it. stir. Then take a plate and lower the eggs in the water, taking care not to crack the shells. Place board on top of eggs. Put a little lime or salt on it and keep the brine always over eggs. They will be just as fresh two years afterwards.
Have no idea, though, if she ever did this.

I really have to try it this way in storing the eggs, I never heard of this method. Thank You!

Luckily, we're usually pretty ok temp wise here, so not a long period where we get no eggs at all. We always get at least some, even when most are molting...

We're just building a chicken coop. Some questions: How much better is 1" wire than 2", and how much more expensive? How airtight does the coop need to be? How much outside yard space is needed for just a few chickens for eggs? And, what is the easiest and best way to make nesting boxes?

Some questions: How much better is 1" wire than 2", and how much more expensive? How airtight does the coop need to be? How much outside yard space is needed for just a few chickens for eggs? And, what is the easiest and best way to make nesting boxes?

First, there is a big difference between chicken wire and hardware mesh "cloth" (deceptive name, as it is metal). Chicken wire is designed to confine chickens, NOT keep out predators. For this reason, many chicken keepers eventually switch to the mesh (typically 1/2 inch grid). Hardware cloth is more expensive, but chicken wire will just be breached. Predators include: predatory birds, snakes, and roaming cats and dogs in most areas.

Going from above, I try not to have more than a 1/2 open space anywhere in the perimeter of the coop. Anything bigger, and a snake could easily get in. (one big enough to do damage).

As for space, I have a 16' long, 6' wide, 6' high coop for my 7 chickens, and they seem fine with it. I'll actually be adding a chicken run to it eventually this year, just to give a bit more space. Note, you also want the walls of your coop to go into the ground, at least 6 inches deep, though a foot is more recommended. This will guard against digging predators (like racoons, etc.)

For our nesting boxes, we just have a long wooden box, divided in 6 different openings, each about 12 inches by 12 inches, by 12 inches. There are lots of options though here, to use what you have (such as milk crates, old buckets, etc.)

The bigger challenge has been best solutions for feeding and water. For feeding, we eventually made PVC tubes, that have a 45 degree elbow at the base, as a gravity feeder. For water, we opted for the larger, plastic water inverted jug (I think it is about 5 gallons), that has a little trough around it. (the nipple waterers always clogged, etc.). As a tip, keep the water jug raised from the ground some (to keep them from getting the trough all nasty with dirt, etc.).

We keep 7 chickens, and generally always have about 4 dozen eggs in the fridge, at any given time. Fun fact though, eggs will actually keep a while before you need to refrigerate, we just do it more out of habit.

The nice thing about keeping them in a coop, they are protected, and it is easy to collect eggs. With free roaming, you'll always lose some to predators, and you'll likely never find all the eggs in a given day (which is usually fine though, because as I said, they do keep)...but of course, lots of other animals may find the eggs and eat them too!

We're in FL here, so gets hot, so for that reason, we have a fan mounted to blow into the coop. Likewise, we have some nails sticking out along the roof, that correspond to grommet holes in a long tarp. We put up the tarp if we're getting a really bad rainstorm or a lot of wind on a particularly cold day (though cold days are rare). You'll want to consider any environmental factors (heat, cold, rain, snow, etc.) and their impact to your birds.

All of the work is really in the setup. Once going, maintenance is pretty easy. Unless you want breeding, be sure to get only "Pullets" (hens) when you get your chickens, but beware, the guys at the local feed store etc. can't always tell, so you may end up with a rooster in the bunch. Best if you learn to tell yourself too...just to confirm. Don't get any runts (because they are cute). They likely won't make it...sad to say. There's different feed for chicks, but a few months in, you can then switch to layer crumbles. At least here, Walmart sells it cheaper than the feed stores, and I've had no problem with the feed there.

One thing we like: decoy eggs. These are ceramic eggs that look and feel just like the real thing. They do two things. One, if a snake gets in, could choke itself on them. Two, encourages the hens to lay in their boxes. We dot each decoy with a marker dot, to tell it from the real eggs.

Last edited:
We're just building a chicken coop. Some questions: How much better is 1" wire than 2", and how much more expensive? How airtight does the coop need to be? How much outside yard space is needed for just a few chickens for eggs? And, what is the easiest and best way to make nesting boxes?

As I stated earlier "I use the 1" 20gauge poultry netting under, around and on top, since we have skunks, badgers and wolverings all three are notorious digger and will dig under the fence, standard hex netting chicken wire wont hold up to the badger or wolverine they will rip it apart!" I cover the top because of the hawks. Depending on hawk activity I allow the chickens to free range

You really don't want an air tight coup given the ammonia from droppings, I have louvers installed in ours in both top ends and one near the nests that can be blocked in the winter. As Gaz stated above regarding nesting size, ours is double decked for twelve nest, I pack ours with hay that's changed out every two weeks depending on the time of year and smell generally it's by visual and smell. Chickens handle the cold better than the heat, I don't start heating the coup till it drops to freezing and a small fan that gets turned on when temps reach 80deg inside. I don't use metal roofs because of radiated heat in the summer and freezer affect in the winter. Good luck

Good mention on the hay. We basically use the floor hay from the storage shed (for the horses' hay) to throw in for the chickens and rabbits to use for nesting, and change it out every couple of weeks.

I don't use metal roofs because of radiated heat in the summer and freezer affect in the winter.

We didn't either. Ours is plywood, then with actual roofing material applied on top (tar paper, shingle roll, etc.)

Latest posts

Back