Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin, just curious, why are you opposed to ordering from a hatchery? They overnight your day old chicks to your post office. In our case "overnight" is 2 days. We've seldom had any losses in transit. Also, they still mail out catalogs on request. There's a lot of good information in their catalogs too.
I don't know AD. If I opened a box and there was a dead chick, I would blame myself I guess. Plus, I only get 6 so I always thought you had to buy in bulk.

I'm hoping to get more Cinnamon Queen. They lay a month or so earlier than other breeds and are super friendly. Good layers too.

I have only seen them at the store once though.
We have Cinnamon Queens here at Tractor Supply. Those were the breed I bought this year. So you like them? Wanted ISA Browns but couldn’t find any available.

I don't know AD. If I opened a box and there was a dead chick, I would blame myself I guess. Plus, I only get 6 so I always thought you had to buy in bulk.
That makes sense. I don't know if they have a minimum order or not. Might be worth checking out. I like the fact that you can pick out the chick that you want and delay the shipping fir a later date, if you need too. We placed our last order in February for June delivery.
At the very least, I'd highly recommend ordering one of their catalogs. They have a lot of information on each chicken they offer, along with ducks, geese, turkeys, game birds etc. Plus medication and supplies.

I have seen a few dead armadillos on the interstate, but never a live one. I am "almost' positive I had one my my chicken cam last night. They look like they would be slow and not good climbers, but I may be wrong. Maybe he was just cruising and not interested in chickens.

I also had the possum last night. I forgot to set the cage so I didn't get him.

IThey look like they would be slow and not good climbers, but I may be wrong. Maybe he was just cruising and not interested in chickens.
When they get very alarmed, they hop like rabbits and are surprisingly fast. There is a reason armadillo meat is called Rabbit On The Half Shell.
Armadillos aren't interested in the chickens, they would not know what to do with one. They are interested in the eggs, but I have never seen one try to climb.

One of our neighbors has a certain breed of chickens which she is selectively selling as "pure breed" and has a Cinnamon Queen like our 3 layers and asked if we want to try to adopt it into our little hutch...it seems that some people who come to buy her pure breeds are looking funny at the unusual color of this one as all the others are white with black spots.......we will try it and see how the pecking order goes next week...

I got baby chicks today. Went in two different directions, but got all I needed.
Buffs, Reds, Barred Rock, and two that lay green eggs. The lay the same amount as others so I'm good. My son will enjoy the green ones.

One of the little buggers is trying every way to get out of the cage. Had to wrap in deer netting to make openings smaller.

One of my mutts just layed 2 eggs today! She's one of my older girls, too, so I'm really surprised. It was definitely her, though. She is separated from the rest for a bit.

Out of that stupid last hatch I have mostly cockerels. They're already fighting and they're not even 4 weeks old. I might have a very tiny chicken dinner if they don't knock it off.

My apoplectic mind set of always studying practical ways to face a total collapse regardless as to whether its a banking system collapse , Communist Holodomor to starve those that don't vote the way those in charge think they should here in the United States , Nuclear War or whatever see my chickens as an important survival tool . With me never needing to replant my annual onions along with chicken eggs gives us a potential egg and onion dish all summer long , year after year . We could probably survive on it , but would hate to know that was all I had to eat all summer long every day . In reality my food sources for the apocalypse has been well thought out and prepared for so My diet wouldn't be just eggs and onions but realize many people wouldn't have the good fortune to be able to survive on even eggs and onions . .Many simply can not foresee a world without stores , automobile fuel or farm equipment fuel , so they don't keep chickens .

Last edited:
One of our neighbors has a certain breed of chickens which she is selectively selling as "pure breed" and has a Cinnamon Queen like our 3 layers and asked if we want to try to adopt it into our little hutch...it seems that some people who come to buy her pure breeds are looking funny at the unusual color of this one as all the others are white with black spots.......we will try it and see how the pecking order goes next week...

Put the new hen in with the others after dark. It seems to help. Also, if they pick on her too much, sew her up a little chicken saddle to protect her. These work for me every time!

1685785550389.jpeg

Latest posts

Back