Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Arcticdude
I was going through my grain seed and trying to figure out what I am planting this year and I thought of you. Have you considered millet for your chickens? It is finicky but some kinds flower within a couple months and it is really nutritionally dense. You can also feed to cattle, so maybe if you could harvest the seeds, it would be dual purpose with some silage?

I found this on its nutrients. I don't know which kind you would grow there, but it has good info on all of them.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/08/30/superfood-for-chickens-millets/

@Arcticdude
I was going through my grain seed and trying to figure out what I am planting this year and I thought of you. Have you considered millet for your chickens? It is finicky but some kinds flower within a couple months and it is really nutritionally dense. You can also feed to cattle, so maybe if you could harvest the seeds, it would be dual purpose with some silage?

I found this on its nutrients. I don't know which kind you would grow there, but it has good info on all of them.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/08/30/superfood-for-chickens-millets/
It's worth looking in to. Finger millet might be a good choice in our area. Just need to see if we get enough moisture for it. I may buy a few pounds and try it out.

I gave my ladies some millet that my neighbor gave me. They liked it.
Millet is a bit expensive here, but we still buy it for an extra happy feedstuff. One of the ladies will actually chase the other two away till she gets her fill, even tho she is the smaller of the three. The rooster will stand by and wait till the hens are finished and only then take some, but again he is twice their size.

One one store still has chick's. They are expecting delivery today and even though I don't want to, I am buying 6 to replace my lost hens.

Better buy them while you still can. I was hoping for a broody hen, so that I didn't have to go through the acclimation mess of the cage.

Don't know AD. I always go through the co-op or Tractor Supply
Try Murry McMurray, Stromburgs or Dunlap hatcheries. We've been using them for over 30 years, and never had a problem. The advantage of going through a hatchery is, you get to pick the breed and the traits that you want, not the feed store manager.

I'm hoping to get more Cinnamon Queen. They lay a month or so earlier than other breeds and are super friendly. Good layers too.

I have only seen them at the store once though.
Robin, just curious, why are you opposed to ordering from a hatchery? They overnight your day old chicks to your post office. In our case "overnight" is 2 days. We've seldom had any losses in transit. Also, they still mail out catalogs on request. There's a lot of good information in their catalogs too.

Latest posts

Back