Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new addition to my flock, some Cinnamon Queens, are doing really well and are friendly! I’ve read they are considered dual purpose, as well as lay a high amount of large eggs!
The new addition to my flock, some Cinnamon Queens, are doing really well and are friendly! I’ve read they are considered dual purpose, as well as lay a high amount of large eggs!
I got 6 of these last year. Early layers. Super sweet. One of mine runs to me to carry her to the roost at night. Her name is Flopsy

Does anyone have suggestion on a rooster to introduce into a flock of a variety of different breeds of hens? East breed would be best? I don't know it matters but..I've watched videos and some say separate them for week or two close to the hens, let em loose n watch them ...basically introduce slowly...

A local told me today just put him in there and the hens will follow lead...??

I've always had just hens for the eggs, but am now looking to get a rooster. Any advice appreciated.

Does anyone have suggestion on a rooster to introduce into a flock of a variety of different breeds of hens? East breed would be best? I don't know it matters but..I've watched videos and some say separate them for week or two close to the hens, let em loose n watch them ...basically introduce slowly...

A local told me today just put him in there and the hens will follow lead...??

I've always had just hens for the eggs, but am now looking to get a rooster. Any advice appreciated.

If it's the only rooster and has been with other hens, just put him in there.

Ok....the local had a beautiful rooster she said her husband would probably give to me. Only thing, she had one hen separated from the rest "because of the rooster" and said she is going to have to separate another hen because of him...

Sorry to sound stupid, but why would that be? She had him in with 8 hens. I have 16 hens in the one area I would put him in...12 in a separate area.

Ok....the local had a beautiful rooster she said her husband would probably give to me. Only thing, she had one hen separated from the rest "because of the rooster" and said she is going to have to separate another hen because of him...

Sorry to sound stupid, but why would that be? She had him in with 8 hens. I have 16 hens in the one area I would put him in...12 in a separate area.

Only she can answer that question. I'd ask her. There may be a logical explanation. Be cautious and put him in with the fewest hens and watch them for a few hours.

Ok...I got impression he was being a bit "rough" with the hen she separated and then another one after that ..made me suspicious they wanted to get rid of him ..haa..

You can always make chicken stew and look for another rooster.

As Survival said, be prepared with some saddles. Most hens deal with a new rooster, but some don’t. It appears to me to be the one or ones that were more head of the flock before the rooster got there.
I have not had luck with saddles. Always fell off. I really didn't need them, I thought it was the rooster, but it was molting. It was when I was a newbie

Last edited:
Another quail question:

If I have the choice between celadon egg laying cotournix or jumbo cotournix (but not both), which should I choose?

Here are my thoughts, please chime in with whether they're stupid:

I normally would choose celadon eggers because people pay for novelty. But when SHTF, people will pay/barter more for bigger birds to eat and couldn't care less about egg color. On the other hand, the jumbos don't seem that much bigger.

Thoughts? @DirtDiva any opinion?

Another quail question:

If I have the choice between celadon egg laying cotournix or jumbo cotournix (but not both), which should I choose?

Here are my thoughts, please chime in with whether they're stupid:

I normally would choose celadon eggers because people pay for novelty. But when SHTF, people will pay/barter more for bigger birds to eat and couldn't care less about egg color. On the other hand, the jumbos don't seem that much bigger.

Thoughts? @DirtDiva any opinion?
What are you doing with them? If you are selling pickled eggs to bar rooms ( which I sold a lot of) color of the eggs does not matter. If you are raising for meat go for the larger. I would go for the larger to encompass both uses. Is there a price difference at your supplier?

We have a hen breaking n eating eggs...think it's narrowed down to the americana hen...been getting 2 eggs day broken n eaten...we put fake eggs in nest and caught her pecking the heck out of them today.

Thinking of separating her and putting fake eggs in nest box, hoping she pecks with no results...is that stupid? She doesn't lay as often as the rest...we get 1 blue egg from her every few days..

We have a hen breaking n eating eggs...think it's narrowed down to the americana hen...been getting 2 eggs day broken n eaten...we put fake eggs in nest and caught her pecking the heck out of them today.

Thinking of separating her and putting fake eggs in nest box, hoping she pecks with no results...is that stupid? She doesn't lay as often as the rest...we get 1 blue egg from her every few days..
Sounds like chicken catchatori to me

Latest posts

Back