Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Said this was 1918. . . Back in the day Uncle Sam wanted families to raise chickens. Now some countries are pushing you eat the insects that normally chickens would take care of while government agencies have basically been killing off chickens along with egg production. Chickens are a gift that keeps giving until the last bite you have, after they end up on the table.
1675466782734.png

Neighbor just brought me 50 lb of chicken feed from the feed store to see if I liked it better.

He only paid $14. I paid $24 for Purina at TSC. The feed store is next to my son's school. I hope they like it.
Have you tried the feeds available from your local farm Co-Op. Every county usually has a farm Co-Op and we buy alot of our farm needs from them and have had really good luck.

When I lived in Mississippi, the county CO-OP was the place to go. I even bought tires there. "Gumbo Mudders" AKA "CO-OPs", best mud grips I ever owned. My father's next door neighbor put me onto them. He told me "They will either get you out or they will bury you." And it was true.
We don't have a county CO-OP here.

My just purchased egg incubator is supposedly going to arrive at my home today . With a little luck I will have it in my possession before the EMP / Nuking starts . I know some are depending on trade after SHTF to survive " not me " . Emagine what a chicken for egg production would be worth in our new apoplectic existence . I have read a time or two from someone unprepared proclaiming , what they " would do " after SHTF . Either a person is ready " before " SHTF or they ain't likely going to survive . Perhaps the unprepared think they can simply steal from the prepared . Many of the prepared have already taken the desperate unprepared into account and prepared for that also .

Last edited:
Serious question......... if I took eggs and put them into an incubator until a day or two prior to due date then put them under a lady until hatch date will they hatch? That way the chickens will accept them into the flock without all of the weeks of separation and acclimation.

Thanks for any info.

Serious question......... if I took eggs and put them into an incubator until a day or two prior to due date then put them under a lady until hatch date will they hatch? That way the chickens will accept them into the flock without all of the weeks of separation and acclimation.

Thanks for any info.
Is she broody?

I know with ducks if you put an egg in that hatches at a different time as her eggs, she will abandon the nest within 24 hours, so you have to time it perfectly or they won't finish their hatch. If you put them in and they aren't sitting, they will attack the ducklings. I never combine hatch dates because we lost a whole clutch of eggs by my doing this once.

My just purchased egg incubator is supposedly going to arrive at my home today . With a little luck I will have it in my possession before the EMP / Nuking starts . I know some are depending on trade after SHTF to survive " not me " . Emagine what a chicken for egg production would be worth in our new apoplectic existence . I have read a time or two from someone unprepared proclaiming , what they " would do " after SHTF . Either a person is ready " before " SHTF or they ain't likely going to survive . Perhaps the unprepared think they can simply steal from the prepared . Many of the prepared have already taken the desperate unprepared into account and prepared for that also .
You'll do great. Do you have hatching eggs?

You'll do great. Do you have hatching eggs?
My daughter who lives only about 400 yards from me has chickens and a rooster , so I do have access to fertile eggs . I have chickens but not a rooster . My plan is to keep a rooster out of my first incubated eggs . That way we both have a rooster in case something should happen to one .

Since my above post , my chicken situation changed . Two dogs got into my daughter's chicken pen and killed the entire flock including the rooster . Someone that I have never meet heard of this and sent word to me , he had two roosters and would give me one . I gladly accepted and some folks went about 50 miles to the guys house and caught one of his roosters as it was sitting in a tree for the night . They are a free roaming flock . It being late at night the rooster will remain in a cage tonight and be delivered to me tomorrow . Around here there appears to be a brotherhood of preppers . My plan now is to incubate my own eggs starting in two or three weeks and rebuild my daughter's flock .-- The guy that gave me the rooster and I will be meeting in a few months .

Since my above post , my chicken situation changed . Two dogs got into my daughter's chicken pen and killed the entire flock including the rooster . Someone that I have never meet heard of this and sent word to me , he had two roosters and would give me one . I gladly accepted and some folks went about 50 miles to the guys house and caught one of his roosters as it was sitting in a tree for the night . They are a free roaming flock . It being late at night the rooster will remain in a cage tonight and be delivered to me tomorrow . Around here there appears to be a brotherhood of preppers . My plan now is to incubate my own eggs starting in two or three weeks and rebuild my daughter's flock .-- The guy that gave me the rooster and I will be meeting in a few months .
I'm sorry to hear about the predator attack, but I'm glad someone has stepped up and has a roo for you.

Losing animals is always tough, but I would imagine valuable lessons were learned! Now is the time to learn them…before the stores go empty.

Losing animals is always tough, but I would imagine valuable lessons were learned! Now is the time to learn them…before the stores go empty.
I agree as I was thinking last night , my daughters chicken pen was of poor design . While they have a temporary absence of chickens would be a good time to correct the flaws on the pens design .

Latest posts

Back