Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mark every night, but have caught a possum on camera and a fox since I started. I just killed the possum. Tried to give it away but no takers. My husband asked why I used the .22 rifle instead of 9mm. I said he would have looked like a donut with parts everywhere. There is lots of blood though.
I wasn’t thinking and got a coon inside the carport with the 44 rifle. Fortunately the only damage was the blood. Think I may have a hollow pt in.
With the 9m, I do have a mag loaded with frangibles in case that situation arises again.

I mark every night, but have caught a possum on camera and a fox since I started. I just killed the possum. Tried to give it away but no takers. My husband asked why I used the .22 rifle instead of 9mm. I said he would have looked like a donut with parts everywhere. There is lots of blood though.
At least you know he wasn't "playing possum" after you snipped him...

If so, that blood n guts always a nice touch!

No, we got 3 the day before too. Opened the coop around 7:00 am.
Pulled 3 eggs, went to have a birthday party around noon, came home around 2 am and closed the coop up and found the 4 eggs. Gotta be proud of the ladies doing their job. Helena was talking about selling or freezing the ducks and getting more chickens. Also we are getting a hen and a rooster from a german lady whose dog killed 5 of her 6 hens.....................and wants us to take them over the winter, get the hens happy with the rooster and maybe give her some new hens next year in spring...thats the plan, we'll have to see if it works out like that tho.

Starting to put up the rafters on the wife's coop expansion. She wanted a covered area for her girls to be outside, and out of the snow. Got the floor built for the new meat bird coop. Probably won't get it finished before spring though.
When she ordered chick's last spring the hatchery ran out of several of the breeds that she wanted. Because of that the hatchery gave her first dibs on 2023 chick's. She called her order in a few days ago for June 2023 delivery. I recommend ordering chick's and supplies early. Could be a lot of shortages next year.

Why molt when it is freezing? Looks like Summer would be a much better time.

Attachments

• 20221119_130936.jpg
    20221119_130936.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The fox is all over my camera this morning. I had a cage set, but he didn't take the cornbread bait.

I made a mistake and let the ladies out to eat. I should have left them in the run. I'll keep a gun close by in case I hear them yelling.
You'd be better off using a can of sardines for bait this time of year. Of course you'll also catch coon and possums with it too. Fox are kind of difficult to catch in a cage trap. Just make sure the trap is well camouflaged with just the front uncovered.

Why molt when it is freezing? Looks like Summer would be a much better time.
Ours molt in the fall and winter too. Even when the temps drop down to around zero it doesn't seem to bother them.
They really don't care for deep snow though, and will stay in the coop during a storm.

I insulated the walls and roof of out little chicken coop with 2 and a half inch thick polyurathane and put a small light rope thru the coop to make a bit of warmth for the winter. We got a beautiful rooster for free from another german family in the next town and he is doing really well with our 3 hens. They are still laying in the near freezing temps. Helenas brother was here to visit and just spit on the ground after seeing how pretty, healthy and active our hens are...then again after hearing they were still laying eggs. His are molting, skinny and no longer laying.
Here is the new boss and my ladies in laying:
1670654450035.jpeg

1670654489987.jpeg

Latest posts

Back