Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of or seen a hand trap, learned something new.
We built our rabbit boxes & shot everything else, Father did not like steel traps, because they were not dog proof.
Dog proof (DP) traps have been out for a number of years now. Its impossible to catch a dog in one.

I have not slept in my bed for 6 nights due to raccoon/possum patrol. I'm so tired so I poured human urine all around the coop and dipped napkins in it and placed in vent wire. Hopefully, it will keep the possum away if it is still alive. Don't know if I hit his foot but I think I did.

I was pulling rotted out plastic fencing out from under the deck. If I do something, it’s gonna be good for 20yrs at least.
I have redwood lumber around all of my decks, and backfilled with 3/4 minus. We have about 75' of redwood deck around the house.
For the chicken coop I use heavy duty 1/8" screen in the windows, around the bottom of the coop I have 1/4" wire buried about 1 foot deep. The wire around the run is 2×4" welded wire. Over the top of the run I have galvanized wire running each direction to keep hawks out. Eventually I'll add an automatic door to the coop, but in 5 years we've lost 1 hen.

I used this steel lath around my bottom of my deck.
A2445DF1-1E97-4D2C-BD4E-5CA4684CB253.png
Put a Redwood railing on the one side I needed a railing. Didn’t stain it cause it was so nice Looking.

I used this steel lath around my bottom of my deck.
View attachment 17191
Put a Redwood railing on the one side I needed a railing. Didn’t stain it cause it was so nice Looking.
I know it well, the shops I have worked in called it expanded metal, because of the way it is made.
Anything that can tear through that can have my chickens.

I know it well, the shops I have worked in called it expanded metal, because of the way it is made.
Anything that can tear through that can have my chickens.
Small enough to keep out snakes, strong enough to keep out coons. Back filled, wired at joints.
Had to use a grinder to cut it, so I know it’s tough.

Day before yesterday we had a super small egg in the nest...I'm hoping it was one of the new hens ready to start laying...suspect it was either the golden comet or cinnamon queen..it was a dark brown egg...Unless it was a misfire from an older hen.

Btw, this year has sucked with quality of laying pellets. Multiple times this year I've had to take back bags of laying pellets to tractor supply and finally got to where I made them open the bags in the store and look before I brought it home, open bag and the feed is green, moldy all through, and chunks of smashed together green clumps, where it appears humidity got to it. They went through 5 bags in the store one day to find one that wasn't moldy last time I made them check before I bought it. Larry picked a bag up 2 days ago and he just takes off shelf and brings it home. I was getting can full out yesterday and same thing....green down in bag! Also, a lot of ground up pellets in the bag, like filler, just pale looking, dusty pellets! I said I was gonna stop buying chicken feed at TS but the local independent hardware/feed store new owners (which normally I would support fully) are such assholes, I refuse to buy from them anymore.

I walked in the hardware/feed store one saturday to buy a zero turn mower that day. Owner says well, it's 15 til 3..we are getting ready to close. Huh? I thought yall were open til 4pm on saturday...nope, "We're a hard 3 o'clock now on saturday..by the time we check the mower, etc ...won't have time". Really? Ok, if yall don't want to make a $6k sale today for an extra few minutes of your time fine with me. Glad they are doing so well they don't need the business! I drove across the street to Tractor Supply and bought the same damn mower I would have previously preferred to buy from the local independent "d!c&" same day, and they delivered it 1 1/2 hours later and was a tad cheaper. But their chicken feed sucks!

I think I got up on wrong side of bed this morning..🤪

Latest posts

Back