Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my ladies didn't come to roost tonight. My dogs were crazy barking today, but I thought it was because of all the work going on at the lot next door. Maybe they heard something happening to the chicken.

Has she turned up yet Robin? Losing a good laying hen stinks. Especially in the winter.

Opened the gate this morning and she comes out from under the coop.

Man she was talking so fast. Probably giving me hell for closing the door. She always is the last one in at night. I looked under the coop but didn't see her.

She was lucky because the net roofing has been breached and a predator could have had Chicken dinner.

I always start my baby chix in the laundry room and it is always so dusty and stinky (I am told).

Went to the pharmacy and we were talking and she told me she raises hers (100s) on the back porch with only a heat lamp. I have an EcoGlow warmer and she said it will be fine to put them in my unheated garage.

What are your opinions? Questions, comments or snide remarks are welcome.

My nephew does his in the garage with a heat lamp in Oklahoma, but he waits till spring/summer. I just loaded up the incubator today, so I'll see what we get in 21 days. I start them in the house, and yes, they are dusty. Then move them to the milkhouse that varmints don't get in to, with a heat lamp. I have 25 French guineas in a 6 ft squared cage in there right now, nearly ready to go outside. Turned their heat lamps off. They were born in November, and they were the dustiest things to have in the house when they were small, couldn't wait to get them out. Chickens seems less so to me. I always look at the nighttime lows temps. Ours is still in about 30 low, and that's just too hard to heat for new chicks.

I always start my baby chix in the laundry room and it is always so dusty and stinky (I am told).

Went to the pharmacy and we were talking and she told me she raises hers (100s) on the back porch with only a heat lamp. I have an EcoGlow warmer and she said it will be fine to put them in my unheated garage.

What are your opinions? Questions, comments or snide remarks are welcome.

I have put mine in the greenhouse, and that works well. Also have put them on the enclosed porch in big plastic containers with heat lamps. No problems with that either. Be sure to keep them draft and wind free. Lots of pine shavings to retain the heat. Natural heat from sun is an inexpensive way to help keep them warm.

20220211_140746.jpg

Good job Arctic. Fill those freezers. Do you can chickens? We really like them for tacos, casseroles, soups, buffalo dip, etc. Not as salty as the store canned type.
The wife canned a lot of beef this fall. She plans to can chicken too but we're almost out of our chicken. I think she ordered 70 meat birds for spring delivery, May or June.
And happy birthday too.

Happy birthday Robin, maybe those cinnamon queens will provided you with more eggs than you can use. We haven’t raised those but I have looked at them several times. Be sure to let us know how well they lay and their temperament, some breezes just want to fight too much for me to want to keep them.

Last edited:
Since this is my first time having chicks in my garage, I have been worried about them staying warm. So at 3:45 a.m. I had an epiphany and decided to put them in a heating pad. They must not be very cold because they arent under to EcoGlow, but just hanging by the food bowl.

It is going to get a lot colder this weekend though.

Latest posts

Back