Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I taught our grandkids how to kill quick. They just took out a very mean tom turkey that was crazy. The make slip loops with rope, one for each leg, flip the bird upside down and hold the rope. Next,, hook the rope over the branch that they like (at the height they like), and let the bird get dizzy from being upside down. Then take the scalpel knife (that's what we use for butchering) and cut the neck quickly and stand back. It'll take a minute, but the bird will flap wildly while it's dying. Then start the plucking or the skinning, whatever it is you like. They take off the head and feet before bringing it in to me, and I do the innards.
The bird (chicken or turkey) pretty much pass out after being upside down for awhile. That's why we do it that way instead of just taking the head off at a tree stump. They stay cleaner, too, by not running around.

I don't name the hens, too many. But I do name the roosters. Have two roosters to each run of hens, so I have to differentiate between the runs. Eating mean roosters, even with names, doesn't bother me. But normally when we're butchering, the meat gets wrapped and frozen. So who know who we are eating

Still getting zero eggs. I'm feeding extra protein, checked for mites, I clean nests every 3 days and floor once per week etc. This has never happened before.

Winterized the coop today.

How old are they Robin? It could be the age. I had some RR that went weeks without laying when they molted. I rotate my hens every 2 years. The Issa Browns I currently have will be my forever breed hens. They are flat out amazing layers. Food to egg ratio is very good. They didn’t really molt (this is their 2nd winter) and am still getting an egg every single day from all hens. Shocking right?

Also cleaned my chicken house recently. Put the droppings and wood shavings on top of the garden.

Still getting zero eggs. I'm feeding extra protein, checked for mites, I clean nests every 3 days and floor once per week etc. This has never happened before.

Winterized the coop today.
Try adding 2 more hours of light, get a timer and a droplight set it for the morning . Not in the evening they need the sun to roost. I have 12 hens and was getting 1 egg every other day, now it's 6 to 7 a day. It'll take about 4 days to take effect. My quail went from zero to 2-3 a day from 5 hens

I did lights one year, but decided not to any more. Chickens are born with a set number of eggs that they are going to lay. Maybe they just need a rest. I'll give them to the new year then decide. Some are just old and need to be culled, but I don't have the heart.

I did lights one year, but decided not to any more. Chickens are born with a set number of eggs that they are going to lay. Maybe they just need a rest. I'll give them to the new year then decide. Some are just old and need to be culled, but I don't have the heart.
They might come good. I've got a couple of 'retired' hens that I keep for the same reason -- plus they're great at catching snails and slugs -- but they've both started laying again recently and are laying practically every day now.

Not a good pic, but Tonto is a huge beauty.
20211212_110700.jpg

Latest posts

Back