Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my ladies is really hurt. No external injuries, but when I found her, she couldn't walk. I put her in the infirmary, but don't think she will make it tonight.

I would have put her down, but it was almost dark.

Sorry about you losing one of your egg layers. I guess you will soon be having a chicken dinner?

Sorry to hear about your sick girl. Could she be egg-bound? You could try giving her a good dose of castor oil and see if it helps. A good dose of garlic in the mash can help too.

Five years isn't that old for a chicken -- I had one live 16 years and she was still a professional chick raiser, and she was also very good at eating snails, slugs and other pests and training the young 'uns to do the same. But it depends on the breed -- some of these new breeds are 'designed' to be terrific egg layers for a few years, but then their organs shut down. I prefer the old breeds for that reason.

A slow cooker is perfect for cooking old birds, but I wouldn't eat a sick bird. It's better to bury her instead if she does die and you don't know what is/was wrong with her.

How is your hen this morning? I didn’t ask if you isolated her from the others. Several years back I had one girl die. Within a day and a half half of my hens were gone. The antibiotics added to the water saved the rest of them.

Sorry to hear about your sick girl. Could she be egg-bound? You could try giving her a good dose of castor oil and see if it helps. A good dose of garlic in the mash can help too.

Five years isn't that old for a chicken -- I had one live 16 years and she was still a professional chick raiser, and she was also very good at eating snails, slugs and other pests and training the young 'uns to do the same. But it depends on the breed -- some of these new breeds are 'designed' to be terrific egg layers for a few years, but then their organs shut down. I prefer the old breeds for that reason.

A slow cooker is perfect for cooking old birds, but I wouldn't eat a sick bird. It's better to bury her instead if she does die and you don't know what is/was wrong with her.
I don't think so. I think she has been injured by a dog or another animal.

Just got her out of the infirmary and checked her out. It looks like something grabbed her from behind. She's walking a little, but very unsteady. Gave her food and she's eating. I gave her a dose of antibiotics from a syringe. I'm guessing at the dosage. We shall see.

Wishing you the best of luck with your little Lady.

Just got her out of the infirmary and checked her out. It looks like something grabbed her from behind. She's walking a little, but very unsteady. Gave her food and she's eating. I gave her a dose of antibiotics from a syringe. I'm guessing at the dosage. We shall see.
Keep her up and on antibiotics for a few days and I would be willing to bet she will recover, we had one attacked by a coyote but was able to shoot it before it killed her, it took a couple week but she got over it and started laying again.
good luck and hopefully she will pull thru.

In all my years with chickens, I have never had a week like this. Zero eggs from 18 ladies. Zero.
It’s probably the colder weather , stress will cause that too. The change in the temps have caused my daughters to slow way down on their egg laying too. We had a neighborhood cat that was stressing them as well but not anymore.

Out of the blue, all of the chickens went into the big coop tonight. I checked back and there was some pecking going on, but nothing major. Maybe they sensed a predator and wanted strength in numbers.

My neighbor got her first chickens about three months ago and has a very aggressive rooster, who is thrashing some of the hens. She wants to kill that bastard but doesn't have it in her. I told her to just give it some Tylenol PM and it should be lights out. How do you guys kill one as humanely as possible?

My neighbor got her first chickens about three months ago and has a very aggressive rooster, who is thrashing some of the hens. She wants to kill that bastard but doesn't have it in her. I told her to just give it some Tylenol PM and it should be lights out. How do you guys kill one as humanely as possible?
If its injured and we don't want to eat it just a .22 to the head. If we're going to eat it then a small slit to the neck while in a killing cone. Let it bleed out.

Killing cones work well. Either that or shoot it.

Latest posts

Back