Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let the babies into the big run today. The big birds pretty much ignored them. A few pecks here and there. They stayed close the the small coop, but one made it into the yard. I'll do it again tomorrow. All in all a good chicken day.

One of my old Buffs has spurs like a rooster. The other hens have nothing as big as these.

Last edited by a moderator:
1619822633433.png

I got a good laugh

I let the babies into the big run today. The big birds pretty much ignored them. A few pecks here and there. They stayed close the the small coop, but one made it into the yard. I'll do it again tomorrow. All in all a good chicken day.

One of my old Buffs has spurs like a rooster. The other hens have nothing as big as these.
Chicks with spurs.....Hmm. I remember those days.

My young ladies have been in the own house too long. If I just close the door on the small house, will they go the the big coop or do I need to place them after dark when the old ones are on the roost and quiet?

One of my egg customers sent his uncle for pick up today. The uncle is Laotian and I couldn't understand much of our conversation. He gave me a bracelet like the one he was wearing and told something about it helping. I'm thinking arthritis because it seems to be magnetic.

I have no idea of the Laotian customs, but I may be engaged.

Ha that's a good one. Our son works with an old Laotian guy. His farm was taken over when he was a younger man, and he was chased in the jungle where he lived for 10 yrs off of whatever. A group found him and sent him to Albuquerque, N.M. and he works at the plant nursery my son manages. He is in his 70's and still climbs to install greenhouses. They both might be traveling here this fall to install one for me. He says he has not seen Kansas, or rode the train, so he would like to come.

My small where the 6 young birds stay has a huge water puddle in front of it and I'm not sure they can get in to roost. Guess I can put them in the big coop and pray they are alive tomorrow.

I need waders just to walk outside. The path to the run is pea gravel so that's a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
My small where the 6 young birds stay has a huge water puddle in front of it and I'm not sure they can get in to roost. Guess I can put them in the big coop and pray they are alive tomorrow.

I need waders just to walk outside. The path to the run is pea gravel so that's a good thing.
Are you serious? The chickens can fly over or wade through it. To be fair, I haven't seen a water puddle in......at least 6 months. We've had .6 inches or rain since April. Maybe you can build them a bridge.

AD, I have to shovel in front of the door because the water had washed the sand and the door wouldn't close. The water had soaked into ground but there was a lot of washout.

AD, I have to shovel in front of the door because the water had washed the sand and the door wouldn't close. The water had soaked into ground but there was a lot of washout.
Yeah, things are different there. We get a lot of snow but very little rain. From about May 1st to October we can always count on nice weather for a picnic.

One of my ladies is really hurt. No external injuries, but when I found her, she couldn't walk. I put her in the infirmary, but don't think she will make it tonight.

I would have put her down, but it was almost dark.
Sorry for your bird robin. Even though I ate my chickens I cared for and protected them. They had a good life right up to the point anyways. It’s always hard to loose a pet. Do you have any antibiotics to try?

Sorry for your bird robin. Even though I ate my chickens I cared for and protected them. They had a good life right up to the point anyways. It’s always hard to loose a pet. Do you have any antibiotics to try?
Thanks Brent. I think she is past that point. If she ia alive tomorrow, I'll start antibiotics. Juat got a batch for birds.

Thanks Brent. I think she is past that point. If she ia alive tomorrow, I'll start antibiotics. Juat got a batch for birds.
I learned infection can spread fast in a flock and to always have some on hand. Even being late I’d consider being her into a brightly lit place to wake her and try an eye dropper to get some into her tonight. Couldn’t hurt anyways

It's always a sad thing when a bird goes down. The neighbor dog who is always over, took down one of my guineas. Now if I see her on our property, I tie her to a tree (a shade tree with water) and the neighbors have to come get her. I hate losing a bird.

Latest posts

Back