Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big enough?

Attachments

• 20210408_121710.jpg
    20210408_121710.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
We keep ours inside in big rubbermaid tubs with heatlamps attached. The bummer is they have to be cleaned twice a day. The good thing is I can regulate the temperature easily. The bad thing is they learn to jump on their waterer and get out. The good thing is I have screens that fit the top. Then they start feathering and husband complains that they are noisy and stinky, so they go in a cage in the henhouse. Then they get to come out after everyone has gotten to know each other.
Baby turkeys come in the week after next, and their heat needs to be very regulated, so here we go again. I have the incubator filled with chicken eggs due on the 18th, but my cousin might want all of them.

If they're feathered, they don't need starter anymore. I used to use pellets on my adult birds, but now I use crumble and keep the feeder in the hen house so it doesn't get rained on. We put the feeders in a large sealed bin at night when we shut the hen house door. To discourage mice.
So as far as chickens are concerned, young and old, they're still eating a crumble, even tho it's not starter crumble. Transitioning from a crumble starter to a pellet layer was a pain.

If they're feathered, they don't need starter anymore. I used to use pellets on my adult birds, but now I use crumble and keep the feeder in the hen house so it doesn't get rained on. We put the feeders in a large sealed bin at night when we shut the hen house door. To discourage mice.
So as far as chickens are concerned, young and old, they're still eating a crumble, even tho it's not starter crumble. Transitioning from a crumble starter to a pellet layer was a pain.
I have always followed the charts and fed them the starter/then grower/ then grower layer. Dang I'm learning a lot. I feed them in the coop, but don't water there. I used to but it was too messy and caused a humidity problem.

I got the little coop reinforced and cleaned now feeders for the young ones. Was going to move today, but we are having rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got wild cats, too, but they're not a problem. Well, they were wild. After feeding them and petting them they're not wild. They have flea collars and names now.

Okay..... I moved the young ones out to the small coop. I reinforced any cracks with wire and added sand. The top props up for air and sun, but not today. The elders are stopping by one by one and peeking into the wire door so see the new neighbors.

I'm reinforcing the gate on the run too. The cats are able to squeeze under now and they like hanging with chickens.

I put up a temporary nylon chicken net qnd let the chicks out into part of the run.

I locked up the cats just in case the chicks make a run for it.

One of the chicks escaped my fence, but she was easy to catch. I have no idea how she escaped. The elders are walking by and checking them out. It's like they are in a zoo.

The part I always dread is them not knowing to go inside to roost. It's supposed to be raining at roost time and I don't feel like chasing chickens and getting the roos mad at me.

Latest posts

Back