Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Ok.
Then Jesus is smiling at you for your neighborly kindness.
Or
If this is the same neighbor who needed more wood, then you need new neighbors.

All six chicks on their "sleeping stick". Proud mama moment.
20210316_191734.jpg
20210316_191734.jpg

I had to take down the attachwd apartment where I would put the young chickens to acclimate with their elders. How old do you let the chicks get before you begin socialization?

I have a separate smaller coop for them to sleep in, but it doeant have the visual advantage that the apartment did.

I had to take down the attachwd apartment where I would put the young chickens to acclimate with their elders. How old do you let the chicks get before you begin socialization?

I have a separate smaller coop for them to sleep in, but it doeant have the visual advantage that the apartment did.
As soon as we're done brooding our chicks they get turned loose with the rest of the flock. Some get picked on, but thats part of chicken life.

As soon as we're done brooding our chicks they get turned loose with the rest of the flock. Some get picked on, but thats part of chicken life.

Mine are 7 weeks old. Do your chicks sleep in main coop at that age? Do they find a roost all by themselves or sleep on the floor until larger? Mine have a small "sleeping stuck" in their cage, but my roots are about 18" off floor in main coop

Mine are 7 weeks old. Do your chicks sleep in main coop at that age? Do they find a roost all by themselves or sleep on the floor until larger? Mine have a small "sleeping stuck" in their cage, but my roots are about 18" off floor in main coop
Most sleep in the coop. Some sleep on the nest boxes, and when they get older they'll get a place on the roost. Last year we had a few replacment chicks that roosted in the choke cherries by the house. Until it got cold then they went in the coop.
The wife just ordered 25 meat chickens and a dozen replacement chicks.

AD you sound like you would know. I thought 8 weeks was too young. Live and learn
I dont pretend to know much, just what works for us.
I'm still here working on the corral and a bunch of hens came up to see what i was doing. These things are always entertaining. I dont know why everyone doesn't own chickens.

I stick them in a cage in the henhouse. After a few days, I leave the door open. I don't put them in there till they're pretty much feathered.
Thanks. It was so easy when I had the attached apartment with the wire door
They got to known each other without making contact. Even after I atattes letting them out, they slept in separate rooms

I built a small brooding house, 6x6. On the front wall I screened the upper half and the door is screened. That gives them plenty of ventilation, light and protection from drafts. Its on skids so I can move it out of the way when its not being used. We use a plate type heater, not sure what they're called but the chicks can get under it to stay warm and the height is adjustable. We try to get our chicks in July when the nights are warmer.

Latest posts

Back