Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am assuming that you are already using a warming light to force them to lay and have kept the coop clean and fresh with hay in their nesting boxes, correct?
Decided against light after one year but still got 3 or 4 per day. Not this year. I use the Poultry Flock Party bedding and clean the nests and floor about every 4 day. I depoop any nests daily, the have lots of food and water and free range. They aren't laying anywhere else either. Left then in the run for 2 days and got 2 eggs. Checked under the coop too.

Since I don’t keep any chicken longer than 2 years...or a few months more, the light information didn’t bother me. Never heard of Poultry Flock Party bedding. Sounds fun! LOL. :D

Edited to add: I see it has zeolite in it just like PDZ, which I use. That stuff really keeps the smell away!

Last edited:
Since I don’t keep any chicken longer than 2 years...or a few months more, the light information didn’t bother me. Never heard of Poultry Flock Party bedding. Sounds fun! LOL. :D

Edited to add: I see it has zeolite in it just like PDZ, which I use. That stuff really keeps the smell away!
I get it at TSC. It is shavings, not cedar of course.

Cackle is a good hatchery. We also ordered from Whelp last summer, and that was a good place, too. Just put in our turkey orders. 15 will be arriving in April.

Got 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Ive had all these before and had really good layers. The Sussex were the best for brooding purposes I have had.
20210224_133409.jpg

My roo
Cute!
RR Reds are the meanest roosters (aside from Jungle Fowl) that I've ever raised. They get the pot every time. I did breed Reds with Jersey Giants, and got a beautiful, not as insane rooster.
roostes are both Langston something. Beautiful but one was mean to me. I always carry a pvc pipe and he hasn't attacked for months.

Got 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Ive had all these before and had really good layers. The Sussex were the best for brooding purposes I have had.View attachment 12294
Every time I see that I go AWWW. Power went off several years ago. While were away. We found some "dead" chicks and we cuddled them. Guess what? They all came back to life,

Even though I put up a wall on the crate, one of the chicks escaped and I found it on the floor which was about a 3 foot drop. I Knew the opening were wide, but I didn't expect a prison break. I'm glad I found it before the cats did. I am going to reinforce even more. Live and learn.

Well, since the 2 pigs from the neighbor are living in my chicken coop at the moment and they have not even started building their pigpen yet....I emptied MY PIGPEN today, cleaned it out, moved stuff somewhere else and got it ready for some chicks next month. Only need to put some boards up to staple the chicken wire to where they will run free and then we are ready for some new animals in the yard...we do not even have possums or coons here. No bad spiders, snakes, scorpions or poison ivy/oak either...just the wicked thorns on the Acacia trees which will go thru your car tire, shoes, rubber boots and almost any glove!!

You are a nice neighbor to babysit some pigs. Maybe there will be sausage coming your way! We have possums and rat snakes, hawks, vultures, skunks....Our chickens live in Fort Knox. We have baby turkeys coming in next month, so we'll get back into breeding them again. And guinea fowl the following month. Still have roosters that need to be culled, and just got a call from some city people needing some butchered chicken for their "beer barbeque", so we'll be doing some of that soon. Starting all over again with animals since we just moved to our farm last summer.

You are a nice neighbor to babysit some pigs. Maybe there will be sausage coming your way!

That is the thing...we will get nothing in return. I bought a $300 pig for him and his family last Dec. and we split the meat. Then, he got a pig from the grandfather of his wife and we split the meat again. My freezers are full and I have smoked meat, bacon, and foot long sausages hanging in the pantry.
He had to get them out of another persons pigsty for some reason or another and had no place whatsoever for them and now they are crapping and digging my garden area up which was planned for the chickens as a scratching place and now is only a mud hole full of pig droppings and pee. Probably ruined for a year or so till the OVER-FERTILISED dirt can recover...

Latest posts

Back