Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my, no she isn't! Lots of us very much enjoy our “girls”! I find them very calming. Not sure why.
I guess I do too. I'm sitting on the back deck right now sipping a cold one and watching the birds. The hens are in their run mostly hanging out in the shade and the ducks are napping under the raspberry bushes.

I guess I do too. I'm sitting on the back deck right now sipping a cold one and watching the birds. The hens are in their run mostly hanging out in the shade and the ducks are napping under the raspberry bushes.

The picture you painted made me sigh and smile. I am sitting on the porch drinking a blue raspberry martini. Ahhhh

The picture you painted made me sigh and smile. I am sitting on the porch drinking a blue raspberry martini. Ahhhh
That sounds really good. I'm just drinking ice water. Taking a break from setting up the bulk diesel tank for the generator. It's hot again today, 82 degrees.

My chickens, young ones. Say "What you do?" Then STEAL EGG??
After while they get used to it and only a few old biddies complain.
Potential problem is when city grandchildren STEEL EGG? I give them them a Katana and say " What's for dinner?"
Is it you? Or that bird? So far always that that bird,

We are too Robin. It didn’t get out of the 70s today. Right now it is 72! Arctic, 82 is not hot. LOL
I guess it's all relitive to where one lives. We normally get 2-3 days in the summer where it gets over 90 degs. This summer I've had to turn the AC on twice. Usually the celing fans keep it comfortable in the house. And there's only a few days where it doesn't cool off at night. Usually it's in the 40's and 50's at night. Late August the leaves start turning and it starts cooling off. I still have a lot of stuff to do before winter but I'm looking forward to Fall.

One of my ladies is broody again. I put 6 additional eggs under her today. Hopefully, this time I will get a chick or two.

I would like to get a couple chicks every year to keep the flock at a steady number. I have 4 RIR and 2 Buffs that are past their prime and probably won't last too much longer.

We lost another chick today. I found the carcus under the raspberry bushes. This was one of 7 the wife bought as replacement chicks for her layers. She wasn't very old and I couldn't find a mark on her.
Yesterday I gave away 5 of the older laying hens to the indian girl that I hired to help with the hay. 10 more to go.

Hate to hear that.
We lost another chick today. I found the carcus under the raspberry bushes. This was one of 7 the wife bought as replacement chicks for her layers. She wasn't very old and I couldn't find a mark on her.
Yesterday I gave away 5 of the older laying hens to the indian girl that I hired to help with the hay. 10 more to go.

Took the leaf blower down to blow the leaves off the netting covering the run. I found a huge hole where some critter had torn the seams apart. I'm guessing a squirrel. I think a possum would be too heavy to get as far up the run the hole is. Now the netting is doubled in some places and "if" we get a snow this year, it may get weighted down by the snow.

This has been my worst production Winter ever. During Winter months, I usually gather 3 eggs, but for the last 2 months, I'm lucky if I get 1 egg. Some of them are only 2 years old. I was getting 7/8 per day until the cold weather. I really don't want to purchase chicks but I can't hatch them without eggs.

This has been my worst production Winter ever. During Winter months, I usually gather 3 eggs, but for the last 2 months, I'm lucky if I get 1 egg. Some of them are only 2 years old. I was getting 7/8 per day until the cold weather. I really don't want to purchase chicks but I can't hatch them without eggs.
I am assuming that you are already using a warming light to force them to lay and have kept the coop clean and fresh with hay in their nesting boxes, correct?

You have to be disappointed. If you want production all year make sure you have light in their house in the winter. My lights (LEDs) are on a schedule for 11 hours a day right now. Am going to turn it off today I think for the remainder of January because I have so many eggs.

The ISA Browns I have each lay an egg every single day since they started laying. They are the best layers I’ve owned, hands down. These birds are quiet and don’t tend to fight or fuss much either. They were purchased from Tractor Supply.

You have to be disappointed. If you want production all year make sure you have light in their house in the winter. My lights (LEDs) are on a schedule for 11 hours a day right now. Am going to turn it off today I think for the remainder of January because I have so many eggs.

The ISA Browns I have each lay an egg every single day since they started laying. They are the best layers I’ve owned, hands down. These birds are quiet and don’t tend to fight or fuss much either. They were purchased from Tractor Supply.
I did the lights one year, but after research decided against it. I get my chicks from Tractor Supply too. I've never tried the ISA Browns, but have good luck with Buffs, Rhode Island Reds. Speckled Sussex seems to be my best brooders, but the fox got one and a tree fell on the other. I also have Wyandotte and Plymouth Rocks. I raise my chicks in the laundry room and they leave a huge dusty mess. I cover everything with sheets, but it's 3 months of dust. My garage is too cold.

Latest posts

Back