Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple years ago I built a small brooder house. It was 6'×6'. The wife wants to use it for an infirmary for the sick or hurt chickens. I think it's a good idea to isolate any chicken that's not looking good. It'll keep the other chickens from picking on it too.
I've got plans to build a new brooder box before our new chick's start arriving this spring.
I have a small separate coup that I use to acclimate the new chick's to the flock. I put a net fence between them so they can see but not touch.

I had my son put old red down today...we took her out this morning to look at leg/foot..I had material ready prepared to try splint...her leg or foot did not appear broken...you could move all areas on both legs/feet fine...I thought it might be up in her hip area...but hard to tell...she could not stand up...she fell completely over every time I sat her up...all she did was roll over on her side...she had poo stuck to her butt from laying down all day n night and couldn't get up....yuck..I couldnt stand watching her just lay on her side. Second guessing myself but hope was right decision to put her down...anyhoo...she's gone...
And No, sorry, not eating her!

From Mike Adams' telegram channel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-131216_Telegram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230306-131216_Telegram.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 0
Built new roosts for the chickens today. Bless their hearts. They are going to walk into the coop tonight and say wth? They look like something out of a 3 Stooges show. I actually screwed my glove to the wood just like they do.

I really like the design, but I used a soft wood that I bought for spacers. 2x2 and they chipped off when being screwed together. Hopefully they hold. I also used wire to hold the ladder to the wall. All I need is duct tape and I would have the trifecta of building materials.

Built new roosts for the chickens today. Bless their hearts. They are going to walk into the coop tonight and say wth? They look like something out of a 3 Stooges show. I actually screwed my glove to the wood just like they do.

I really like the design, but I used a soft wood that I bought for spacers. 2x2 and they chipped off when being screwed together. Hopefully they hold. I also used wire to hold the ladder to the wall. All I need is duct tape and I would have the trifecta of building materials.
I used 2×4's for our new roosts. I cut some 1x2 oak and screwed it to the walls making like little saddles for the 2x4's to sit in. This way we can remove the roosts when cleaning. They just slide in and out. The first roost is 12" off the floor and the second is 18" off the floor and about 8" behind. I'll add a third roost at 24" high when I can find another 2x4.

Another option is to screw a couple joist hangers to the wall and just slide a 2x4 in to the hangers. They'll slide right out for cleaning. In our coop it's only 6' between the wall of the feed room and the outside wall. If your coop is wider than 8' this option may not work.
My coop is 8x8. I'm a visual learner, so I need to picture this.

The new feed I have started buying is milled in Guntersville, AL. This was milled on February 20th. Pretty darn fresh and $5 to $10 dollars cheaper. My ladies have doubled in egg production, but the weather has also warmed and we have more sunlight. Not sure if feed has anything to do with it.

Well, I did it! I sold several chicks for $10.

I can't really believe anyone was willing to pay that for them and I feel a little guilty, but I actually had a buyer within 2 minutes of posting then and 3 or 4 additional people emailed to ask for dibs if it fell through.

Am I a terrible person for exploiting the chick rush of 2023?

Well, I did it! I sold several chicks for $10.

I can't really believe anyone was willing to pay that for them and I feel a little guilty, but I actually had a buyer within 2 minutes of posting then and 3 or 4 additional people emailed to ask for dibs if it fell through.

Am I a terrible person for exploiting the chick rush of 2023?

$10 each? That's high, unless you consider that person has now established a business relationship with you, that could be priceless for them in the future.

$10 each? That's high, unless you consider that person has now established a business relationship with you, that could be priceless for them in the future.
They were for a couple of breeds that are kind of rare around here, but I thought it was high, too. A woman I talked to who has showgirl silkies said she charges $10 a chick, so I figured it was worth a shot. I can't believe I made $100 just for turning some eggs.

They were for a couple of breeds that are kind of rare around here, but I thought it was high, too. A woman I talked to who has showgirl silkies said she charges $10 a chick, so I figured it was worth a shot. I can't believe I made $100 just for turning some eggs.

If people are buying them, then it's not high. Keep selling them.

Latest posts

Back