Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's Jake checking on the new chicks. He's been hanging out with them all afternoon.
20220504_161210.jpg

We lost another meat chicken last night. That makes 15 that we've lost so far. That leaves us with 57 survivors. May was a very cold month with quite a bit of snow.
Got word yesterday that our ducks and chuckers were shipped. They should be at the post office tomorrow. The laying chicks are due to be shipped in July.

Brought in another cage to put the old Red hen in since she has so many eggs under her. I removed the two eggs from the other 2 birds because I don't want them broody too.

I candled (flashlight) the eggs and saw some masses in a few so maybe she will have a family. She is about 5 years old and I'm shocked she even went broody.

It shouldn't be very many days until the older eggs hatch if they are viable.

The old hen that has been sitting so long didnt havr any good eggs. The younger o e had a chick hatch last night. I was moving the mom and baby to the infirmary and the old hen took the chick and sat on it and didnt want to give it back. It is sad. Now, the old hen is sitting next to the infirmary and clucking to the chick.

Bless her old chicken heart. I wish one of hers had lived.

Dang. When I went to coop this morning, I saw a piece of the insulation I use around the top vents lying on the ground. Opened the door and there was a dead chicken with her head missing. Raccoon.

I have the whole place wired to keep critters out but obviously he broke through. I have to reinforce today. He didn't get the old one that is on the floor because she can't jump onto roost, had to get one of my producers.

I have the run fenced with netting over the top. He was smart.

He will be back tonight.

I know the feeling. I hate it. I had to get my son to redo the top area of our chicken pen and coop area recently where coon had easily worked its way in a compromised area in the run .I ended up replacing everything with hardware cloth. Chicken wire had previously worked well for quite a long time but obviously it started rusting, and weakens over time plus those coons are smart, viscious critters!

Dang. When I went to coop this morning, I saw a piece of the insulation I use around the top vents lying on the ground. Opened the door and there was a dead chicken with her head missing. Raccoon.

I have the whole place wired to keep critters out but obviously he broke through. I have to reinforce today. He didn't get the old one that is on the floor because she can't jump onto roost, had to get one of my producers.

I have the run fenced with netting over the top. He was smart.

He will be back tonight.

How many did you lose Robin? Its always hard to lose our laying hens. Especially when we think we’ve secured them properly.

Latest posts

Back