Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought 6 baby chicks. Cinnamon Queen. I had never tried this breed, but the sign said they are very productive layers and start laying earlier than most.

Where did you get them? I have Golden Comets and I think they are about the same breed, just different names….as they both are sex links from Rhode Island Reds. These birds are crazy egg layers! Nice quiet birds that don’t fight with the ones they were raised with. Their food to egg ratio Is great too.

Finally got our chicken and game bird order in today. Many breeds that we wanted were already sold out. Had to split my game bird order between 2 different hatcheries. Besides the layer and meat bird chicks and ducklings I ordered 200 quail and 100 chuckers.

That’s pretty wild that the birds are sold out already!! It says people are paying attention to the supply chain issues we are experiencing…and more than likely to get worse. Nicely done Arctic!

Where did you get them? I have Golden Comets and I think they are about the same breed, just different names….as they both are sex links from Rhode Island Reds. These birds are crazy egg layers! Nice quiet birds that don’t fight with the ones they were raised with. Their food to egg ratio Is great too.

That’s pretty wild that the birds are sold out already!! It says people are paying attention to the supply chain issues we are experiencing…and more than likely to get worse. Nicely done Arctic!
We had to get our birds spread out over 6 delivery dates. Some will come in earlier than we want and some will come in later than we'd like. And a few breeds aren't available at all this year. The wife is already working on her order for next year.
I also ordered 200 quail and 100 chuckers. I passed on the turkeys because they wanted an extra $10 each for shipping. That would put them at over $25 each.

We had to get our birds spread out over 6 delivery dates. Some will come in earlier than we want and some will come in later than we'd like. And a few breeds aren't available at all this year. The wife is already working on her order for next year.
I also ordered 200 quail and 100 chuckers. I passed on the turkeys because they wanted an extra $10 each for shipping. That would put them at over $25 each.

You’ve got a nice variety coming even without the turkeys! That has to feel good. Don’t blame you on passing on the turkeys. Not worth it at that price.

You’ve got a nice variety coming even without the turkeys! That has to feel good. Don’t blame you on passing on the turkeys. Not worth it at that price.
Yeah thats what I thought too. Besides, we have a lot of wild turkey around here already.
As soon as the snow is gone and the ground thaws out I'll start on the new poultry barn and the game bird pen.

Yeah thats what I thought too. Besides, we have a lot of wild turkey around here already.
As soon as the snow is gone and the ground thaws out I'll start on the new poultry barn and the game bird pen.

How exciting! I’m one of those that always get excited about a new build on the property. Especially one that holds food! LOL. We can’t start our new build that will contain rabbits, as well as some other things fast enough for me!

The mommy in me took over. It got down to 19 last night so even with a warmer, heating pad and heat lamp, you could tell the babies were uncomfortable. I brought the small cage in and set it up for the next 3 nights. After that, the temps are getting warmer and I can move them back out to the garage.

Some dogs and babies don't mix! I set free 25 baby French guineas a few days ago, and of course, the neighbor dog came right over and killed one, injured another. I told the neighbor boy that she was at it again, and to keep her home, but they don't care. Our last release, she took down a few. We are on high alert, she is in a cage under the tree of shame that I usually chain her to, until her owners come get her. They won't keep her on their property. She is a friendly corgi/daschaund mix, but is a bird killer. This time her collar was off, so she is stuck in a cage. I hope she's there all night long, I am fuming.

Well it's a good sign if no chickens are missing, obviously dead, or still bleeding! Maybe one of them knocked a blood feather out and it's ok now.
Set up two large brooders inside yesterday. One for chicks (due to hatch in a couple days) and the other for grey Toulose french goslings coming in Friday. Eight of them. Ordered brewers yeast to add to the chick starter because that's what I'm seeing to do online. First time for geese for me. These are supposed to be mellow. If not, we'll eat them.

I've never raised them before, we'll see how it goes. Starting with 8, and these french gray ones are supposed to be even tempered. The chinese white ones can be mean and chase you down!.
But just like turkeys, most are nice. Every once in awhile I get a mean attack turkey, and then they get butchered. Our first year turkeys just started laying, so I'm hoping to incubate some and raise for food. I'll do the same with the geese.

I believe one of my elder Reds is dying. I noticed last night she didn't get on the roost and tonight she was under the coop and wouldn't come out. I crawled under and got her and put her in the infirmary, but when I turned around she was gone. I think she is in the coop, but the others were moving and I couldn't count to 20.

I'll find out tomorrow. I'm tired and irritable and will watch the game and fall asleep.

I think this falls into this catogory.
I have been battling poison Hemlock.
When I first moved in, I did not notice this infestation I had a few chickens then. It’s in the chicken yard.

Chickens gone, problems insued.

Do chickens help keep Poison Hemlock down?

I hate going scorched earth on a hillside, but it seems my only answer after my dog ran in and ended up with neurological problems.

Latest posts

Back