Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have weeds anymore. We have chicken salad. I just let them sort through all of my pulled weeds so they take care of ticks etc.

In past years, it was common to find numerous ticks crawling on us at the bed of a work day, but last year we seldom founds ticks even on the dogs.

So far this year, I have found 6 ticks on me. One actually had been there for a while sucking blood which is scary. Yes, I shower or bathe after work, but this was in my hair.

What's everyone's favorite breed of egg layers? And best overall egg and meat breed? For southern U.S.

My favorite for laying is either a Golden Comet or Isa Brown. The Comet gives you tons of eggs with reduced feed compared to other breeds. Barred Rocks are a solid egg layer and meat bird. They are great foragers too. I’ve tried other breeds, but just aren’t into them because they don’t lay as many eggs.

My favorite for laying is either a Golden Comet or Isa Brown. The Comet gives you tons of eggs with reduced feed compared to other breeds. Barred Rocks are a solid egg layer and meat bird. They are great foragers too. I’ve tried other breeds, but just aren’t into them because they don’t lay as many eggs.

I have Barred Rock too.

The same chicken that I thought was lost, but was in the garage on eggs is missing again.

She didn't come to roost last night, but she was here this morning then poof, she's gone again. I'm guessing she's nesting again. I have searched and searched. My garage is a junk pile and I have been in there with a flashlight. No luck.

Went to feed chickens and heard a baby but couldn't find it anywhere. I lifted the mom and the chick was just pipping. It was being loud so hopefully healthy.

Today is day 21 so it was perfect to the day. She ended up with 13 eggs under her. We shall see.

Another went broody this week and has 3 eggs under her.

The mean rooster came at me again and the other rooster whipped his butt. That makes 3 times he has taken up for me.

Bad chicken day. My week old chick vanished into thin air. Then, mom hatched another and it died after about an hour. I moved eggs and mom into a cage in the coop and now the mom isnt sitting on the eggs. I guess I should give up today and go to bed.

Once again...... I came out of the lower garden and the damn rooster came at me ready to attack. Luckily I had my trusty PVC pipe to knock it off. I came in and got the 9mm and fired into the ground to scare him.

My son doesn't like the idea of hurting him, but I explained that I can't be scared everytime i turn my back. I have PVC sticks at every door so that I can always be prepared if he decides to attack. I'll probably have to kill him though.

Once again...... I came out of the lower garden and the damn rooster came at me ready to attack. Luckily I had my trusty PVC pipe to knock it off. I came in and got the 9mm and fired into the ground to scare him.

My son doesn't like the idea of hurting him, but I explained that I can't be scared everytime i turn my back. I have PVC sticks at every door so that I can always be prepared if he decides to attack. I'll probably have to kill him though.
I never keep a rooster that turns mean . It may seem funny to watch a chicken attack someone but I know of more than 1 person dying from blood poisoning from being spurred in the leg by a Rooster . And Im not going to chance a Kid having to live with a eye missing because I kept s mean Rooster .

It odd how he only attacks me and is so sweet to others. I was always nice to him and am now unless he starts to attack.

I think it's to with the fact that he sees I'm the Alpha around herE and he needs to take me down to Beta.

Time for some chicken soup!

I think you need to try this!

Spicy rooster Gumbo😋

16 1/2 cups rich chicken stock

4 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika

2 teaspoons ground coriander

1 (4 to 7 pound) rooster

2 smoked ham hocks

3 cups high gluten flour

Salt

Pepper

3 cups rendered chicken fat

2 pounds andouille sausage, sliced in 1/2-inch thick rounds

Vegetable oil

8 yellow onions, diced, divided

5 green bell peppers, diced

4 tablespoons chopped garlic

5 bay leaves

5 red bell peppers, diced

2 cups rice, cooked

1 cup scallions

Aren't you the egg "thief"? 😁

It odd how he only attacks me and is so sweet to others. I was always nice to him and am now unless he starts to attack.

I think it's to with the fact that he sees I'm the Alpha around herE and he needs to take me down to Beta.
He may think that he can make you spill the whole feed bucket . I had a hen that would fly up and hit the feed bucket to try and spill it .

Latest posts

Back