Check your Bug Out Routes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe SA

Demi-God
Reaction score
This is why you need to check and recheck all your bug out routes on a regular basis.
6e2977afc6bdf92372d8460bbd41a63c.jpg

Told ya so :), A few years ago I checked out some of my escape routes in winter, two were flooded, one had now been closed and a by pass built,
Is there crocs or nasty stuff in that water? my greatest risk is being nibbled by a water vole or stared at by an Otter?
Have you vehicles that can wade the water?

Told ya so :), A few years ago I checked out some of my escape routes in winter, two were flooded, one had now been closed and a by pass built,
Is there crocs or nasty stuff in that water? my greatest risk is being nibbled by a water vole or stared at by an Otter?
Have you vehicles that can wade the water?
No nasties in the water, we try and check routes every six months, as things heat up around here it will be done on a more regular basis, and yes we doo have some vehicles that can wade through water, around here we call them boats. [emoji12]

and add routes,when and where needed..even if it means a detour route thats a part of a existing route..
If we come across something like this, we scout for a minimum of two to three alternatives, and then we check the imediate area for bridge building material as well, telephone poles trees ect. This specific crossing at this stage with water level as is, can be navigated with any decent truck "bakkie" or 4x4, for normal vehicles ground clearance will have to be checked and filled up, maybe a winch will be needed for assistance. There is more than enough wooden telephone poles close by to lash together to make two lanes over the missing parts of the road way if the water level was higher. But as time is a crucial factor when bugging out for us, we will be using a different crossing. If no other options were available, it can be done, you just have to start thinking on your feet.

this goes well along what S.E recommended about responstime,if one of these are neglected,your in deep doo-doo,get hem working tohether you have a fighting chance...one reason I enjoy walking here with my dog, recon!

JoeSA brought up a good comment, very few have the capability to be able to cross water. I have to admit that is one of my short comings, but other than the old DUKW, I can't think of any other than the U.S. Marine Amphibious Assault Vehicle AAV-7 models that lend that ability. It is a monster of a vehicle on land, but totally inadequate for long distance movement, granted I am sure their are those in the Corps that will argue it. As for crossing rivers, its either my Zodiac or the kayaks that I have. Unless you have one of those new model Gibbs Quadski Amphibious ATV, but with a 40K price tag....I'd rather place my money improving my BOL.

54caf7ec7ed68_-_gibbs-quadski-02-1012-de.jpg

One thing, I've never done is build a bridge. Left those to the combat engineers or Fleet Support folks. I don't even want to think about taking that notion to reality. Guess the rule for me, like the old English lords, if you didn't have a bridge, you had to find a ford, if that could not be had, then it was the long circular route till you could find a place to cross or a useable bridge. I just can't see ever finding enough serviceable boats to lash them across a river and then plank them. What I've read about building a bridge, it simply would not occur during a T-SHTF event.

Pro's to a bridge = save travel time, provides a barrier against intruders,
Con's = what you can't cross, you can't get too.

Generally we have to COMPROMISE, not all of us are multi millionaires like Clyde :) budgets only go so far, so you have to do an assessment first, Question number one is there a NEED for amphibious capability, IE if you need to cross from Manhattan Island or cross the Mississippi then YES you probably have to make maritime or riverine preps. but in other probably far more numerous places (like the UK 2000 years of bridge building, ford building and farmers tracks) where OFF ROAD capability coupled with WADING capability is far more affordable and useful.

I cannot remember which model it is but their is one big brand 4x4 truck that has is ignition modules AND its air intake down by FENDER / BUMPER level !!!! WTF !!!.

So in many cases Utes, Off Roaders, 4x4s etc fitted with wading kits ( High level air intake, one way valve in exhaust, water proof ignition bits etc) will allow you to cross waterways. You can ford up to a meter in STILL water if you have the training and right vehicle IN STILL WATER.............. NOT FLOWING WATER IF IT COMES HIGHER THAN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR WHEEL RIMS.

I not that many desert folks also fit high level air intakes to reduce the amount of sand / dust being ingested by the engine.

For about a year now, I have been bidding on a LMTV. The National Guard uses them in Texas for some low water rescues during flashfloods. Here is a video of it during Hurricane Irene. The LMTV's had a snorkel kit, pretty amazing, but none of the ones that I've placed a bid on, have the kit. I guess if I ever land one, then will try and find the kit.

one of those Gibbs Quadski Amphibious ATV,and a right size tarp with rope and/or bungee cord.a person will get a vehicle across deep water.

Latest posts

Back