Cheap Mil-Surp dealer? Basic items--clothing, footwear...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in WI

Reaction score
I've been digging around online looking to pick up some basic outdoor/hunting/prepper stuff. I'm talking basic BDU jackets and pants, boots. Also, hopefully a decent rucksack.

The quality seems to be very spotty (inconsistent with the ads). I nearly purchased a Polish mil rucksack, but read the reviews and every one of them said it was unwearable and extremely uncomfortable.

Who do you folks like to shop with? I'm looking for low cost. Anything used is fine, if it's serviceable and cheap.

I work in a lab, in a very white collar job. So during the week, I am rarely dressed in clothing I would want to bugout in. Dockers, polo-shirt... The idea was, in addition to my normal bugout stuff, I would keep a stash of season appropriate clothing. With summer coming up, probably a boonie hat, light BDU jacket, BDU pants, and some combat boots.
Thanks for any info. I've not been on this forum long, but I appreciate the helpful, respectful info for my newbie-ish questions.

You may be able to better boots commercially. My buddy when he was in the army used to get his issue and give them to me because his were good.
I would wear them out rather quickly, 3 months.
Remember when its surplus, it’s what military doesn't want anymore. I got a pair of Mickey Mouse boots for hunting. 2 winters and the rubber dry rotted. 10+ years later the boots I bought to replace them are still going strong.

Pros and cons to buying milsurp gear. Sometimes other countries make better gear than the US military. Most of the time you can weed out the crap from the good stuff. If you have a military surplus store around you I think it's best to see first hand what is there and if you think it will hold up to what you're putting it through. JMHO.

If you are looking for high quality outdoor wear, look at what the people that work outside in your climate wear.
Because I don’t support their Vax mandates and moving manufacturing to China, I won’t buy them new again. I will keep wearing my 20 yr old stuff.
When I go to replace, I will look for the same quality. I’ll buy a little larger so my son can inherit it And use it.

The only time I've ever worn anything military surplus was when dad gave me some of his old marine shirts. I've never worn anything camo. I personally don't like any military surplus stuff, but to each their own.
About 99% of what I wear is Carhartt; pants, shirts and coats. It's good quality and holds up well for me. I've got a few Filson coats too. For boots I wear mostly Whites and Redwing. For leather gloves I buy only Sullivan gloves, made from bison, elk and deer. Both insulated and not.
I prefer quality over price.

You may be able to better boots commercially. My buddy when he was in the army used to get his issue and give them to me because his were good.
I would wear them out rather quickly, 3 months.
Remember when its surplus, it’s what military doesn't want anymore. I got a pair of Mickey Mouse boots for hunting. 2 winters and the rubber dry rotted. 10+ years later the boots I bought to replace them are still going strong.
When I worked in Antarctica it was mandatory to wear bunny boots (aka mickey mouse boots) on the flight from New Zealand to Antarctica. As soon as I got to my room I'd take them off and wear my insulated Filson boots. The bunny boots stayed in my closet for the next 6 to 15 months until I flew back to NZ. My Filson boats kept my feet warm down to -60 to -75.

When I worked in Antarctica it was mandatory to wear bunny boots (aka mickey mouse boots) on the flight from New Zealand to Antarctica. As soon as I got to my room I'd take them off and wear my insulated Filson boots. The bunny boots stayed in my closet for the next 6 to 15 months until I flew back to NZ. My Filson boats kept my feet warm down to -60 to -75.
I kinda liked them hunting, even if I overflowed them in a swamp, my feet actually got warmer in 0 temps
Getting older necessitated more ankle support.
A friends dad use to pick them up for us as retired USMC at a base.
Too bad Carhartt went woke and Chinese. And I say that wearing a pair of their jeans.

I kinda liked them hunting, even if I overflowed them in a swamp, my feet actually got warmer in 0 temps
Getting older necessitated more ankle support.
A friends dad use to pick them up for us as retired USMC at a base.
Too bad Carhartt went woke and Chinese. And I say that wearing a pair of their jeans.
I just checked, all my Carhartt shirts are made in India and all my pants were all made in Mexico or Nicaragua. Not the US, but at least not China. I still have a couple Carhartt shirts that I bought 30 years ago. They were made in the US at that time. There are some US clothing manufacturers that make quality clothing, but I like the fit of Carhartt better.

Latest posts

Back