Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 yrs ago I knew zip about horses and ponies. I knew dairy cows.

I agree with the firm hand approach.

The retired jumper warmblood was the sweetest thing. I could do anything with her. She also spent most of her life in a training barn. Used to being handled.

My next learning experience was a Chincoteague stallion. He would behave for the farrier but not the Equine Vet. The Vet showed me what to do. He might of ran and played his game but he got tired out. He now willingly walks over to us. He knew I would outlast him.

The mares we have in another field got a little wild being up here being pasture ornaments. Too big a field to make them run like I did with the stallion. Carrots are my friend. If they misbehave when haltered, I got a really sharp elbow.

I might have picked up a few things over the years. But I am dealing with a geriatric herd. With my new understanding it might be fun to have one I could actually ride.

I used to raise and train draft horses to use for logging. My favorite logging horse was the Suffolk Punch. They're built like a tank.
I had to look it up too. Interesting. They are used as heavy hunters and jumpers in competition. Just what I need at the BOL. I have gotten a horse stuck there before (deer and dogs have gotten stuck there too). I need an even tempered and powerful but not too heavy breed to be able to handle the mud. And I'm getting too old to climb up on a tall horse like your typical draft horses.

I had to look it up too. Interesting. They are used as heavy hunters and jumpers in competition. Just what I need at the BOL. I have gotten a horse stuck there before (deer and dogs have gotten stuck there too). I need an even tempered and powerful but not too heavy breed to be able to handle the mud. And I'm getting too old to climb up on a tall horse like your typical draft horses.
Suffolk Punch comes in a lighter horse about of 1400 pounds. The ones I had were around 2,000 pounds each. Another good breed to consider for your BOL is a Norwegian Fjord. They come in a small or draft size. They are a very stout and tough breed and make good pullers. I've won weight pulling contests with a team of Norwegian Fjords. Easy tempered and friendly.

Love the dappling! My 2 Palamino's are both dappled; they say it is a sign of good diet and general health. Being here in Quarter Horse territory, I like the big horses and a lot of people look at me like I have two heads.
I have long legs and am pretty flexible so, mounting up isn't an issue. I have a one QH x Thoroughbred former race horse cross that is 17h and none of my horses (exception my daughter's Caspian X QH, daughter is 4'11" full grown) are smaller than 16hh. Otherwise my legs hit under the belly, which makes strong cuing more difficult since I do not wear spurs (spurs are an extension of your heel, so you can reach under the horse without needing extremely bowed legs). I find the taller horses to be better on the rough, rocky inclines we have in the bush (ungroomed trails), than the shorter stockier horses.
If anyone is looking for horses for SHTF, get horses that fit your geography and needs.
I sure miss MY horses!!

1675423843319.jpeg

10 yrs ago I knew zip about horses and ponies. I knew dairy cows.

I agree with the firm hand approach.

The retired jumper warmblood was the sweetest thing. I could do anything with her. She also spent most of her life in a training barn. Used to being handled.

My next learning experience was a Chincoteague stallion. He would behave for the farrier but not the Equine Vet. The Vet showed me what to do. He might of ran and played his game but he got tired out. He now willingly walks over to us. He knew I would outlast him.

The mares we have in another field got a little wild being up here being pasture ornaments. Too big a field to make them run like I did with the stallion. Carrots are my friend. If they misbehave when haltered, I got a really sharp elbow.

I might have picked up a few things over the years. But I am dealing with a geriatric herd. With my new understanding it might be fun to have one I could actually ride.

I may write up and post a thread on selecting good SHTF horses. Been doing it for about 50 years now. I learned to BREAK horses when I was young. Then, learned how to TRAIN them in my 30's. There is a huge difference in the type of riding horse you end up with (not to mention, less chance of busting ###).

Last edited:
FOX NEWS…

If Chinese spy balloon escapes US airspace, get ready for an even bigger disaster​

The Chinese surveillance balloon should be shot down. If we don't take action, we are sending a dangerous message to other rogue states​

1675511689983.png

It is bad enough that the Biden administration has allowed a Chinese spy balloon to float unhindered over American soil. Letting it escape at this point would be even worse.

Washington should shoot down the balloon, collect the debris, and exploit the intelligence data before the helium intruder drifts out of reach.

News of China’s balloon drifting near ICBM fields in Montana left Pentagon scrambling on Thursday to calm a worried public. Defense officials claimed this intrusion is unlikely to add value to Chinese’s existing collection efforts since they already have space satellites. But if this were indeed the case, then why did China go to the trouble of maneuvering a massive spy balloon (reportedly the size of three buses) over a strategic slice of U.S. territory in the first place? And if it posed no added surveillance threat, then why did Pentagon officials say the military was taking "taking steps" to protect sensitive information?

1675512104990.png

How high is this balloon again and why don't we, the people, just take it down?

Why on earth are we waiting on the government? I know there are plenty of retored Vietnam door gunners and chopper pilots around the area.

I don't get why we're being so dependent on Uncle Sam right now. I must be missing a lot.

Latest posts

Back