Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too Robin. I was sitting on the back porch not too long ago talking with Hunny when I heard thunder. We checked the radar so it looks hopeful. Just wait and see for us.

Today was an off day so I cleaned. We had insulation blown into the attic recently and will say, I would NEVER recommend anyone doing this. I dusted on my day off Wed and by Fri when I got off from work, you could literally write your name in the dust! I talked with boss lady Friday morning. . . Oh, I wish I had known you were going to do that. . . Yeah, she had the same issues I am dealing with right now. She did say it will eventually settle down, but it will take a LONG while. I am not happy at all and honestly exhausted right now. Every couple days you need to wipe down ALL surfaces and mop, because just sweeping is NOT going to pick up all this fine dust.

No blown in insulation. Put in mylar insulation sheeting. It's the best value and very clean.

Its getting dry and dusty here, and hot. We hit 75 degrees today. In town it was 91. I doubt if we'll see any rain until October. The grass is still holding up good. I opened another pasture for the cattle yesterday. Or was it the day before? Don't remember.
I've got a chicken on the grill. Smells good.

I finally went n picked up some new hens this weekend..only got 6 this trip...2 jersey giants, 2 RI Reds, 1 cinnamon queen and 1 golden comet..8 wks old. Puts me up to 20 for now counting the older hens. I think I'll go pick up some leghorns in another 4 wks. I prefer to get them at 8 wks. All the rest they had were younger up to 4 wks.

Attachments

• 20220625_135513.jpg
    20220625_135513.jpg
    13.3 MB · Views: 9
I have been noticing some black dust the last couple weeks in my window sills in the dining room, thinking where is this coming from? While I was cleaning yesterday, I noticed a couple clumps on the walls in my dining room area when wiping down walls. I took a bush and dust pan to it. . . little white looking worms! Called Hunny to met me on the front porch to confirm what we had. . . yeah, we have termites. Hunny called to have Jeff come out. Yes we have dealt with him for years now with rodents in the barn. I knew of some of the areas, and some spots that I thought was a water leak in the bathroom turned out to be termites too. What totally shocked me today happened in my stock room. That is a room I frequently go in and out to grab items, but there is one corner that is not accessible with the shelving and not totally obvious since there is total shelving around the room and then 2 rolling carts. He shown a light into the unaccessible corner. Termites on top and bottom. I said "Oh shit. . . " I was devastated!!

I have been noticing some black dust the last couple weeks in my window sills in the dining room, thinking where is this coming from? While I was cleaning yesterday, I noticed a couple clumps on the walls in my dining room area when wiping down walls. I took a bush and dust pan to it. . . little white looking worms! Called Hunny to met me on the front porch to confirm what we had. . . yeah, we have termites. Hunny called to have Jeff come out. Yes we have dealt with him for years now with rodents in the barn. I knew of some of the areas, and some spots that I thought was a water leak in the bathroom turned out to be termites too. What totally shocked me today happened in my stock room. That is a room I frequently go in and out to grab items, but there is one corner that is not accessible with the shelving and not totally obvious since there is total shelving around the room and then 2 rolling carts. He shown a light into the unaccessible corner. Termites on top and bottom. I said "Oh shit. . . " I was devastated!!
When I bought this place, the sellers were insistent on doing a termite tenting. Home inspection only showed showed old soffit damage. After moving in, my inspection showed me they wanted to get the rodentia they knew about.
Guy was slick, he made a deal with the wife that we paid for it and I got the smoker in exchange. In retrospect it would have been better to stay with the original agreement And paid for the smoker. Absolved him of liability.
if you do have to tent- be prepared for ant invasion afterwards. We got a huge red ant problem afterwards, common. I just used commercial spray around house perimeter.
Even afterward, I had drywall dust on the breakfast bar for a year. Drilled a few holes before I painted and squirted borax in. Problem solved.
Hope this experience helps. Haven’t had a rodent or bug issue in 2 years.

@MNwr786 PP likes almost everyone’s posts.
I though IW was out of line, you don’t attack a mod. You may respectfully disagree...... I have done it with the Doc, and I think he has maybe liked 2 of my posts.
i think I know IW from another board I voluntarily left. The Canadians banned a member on here, but I haven’t seen him on here much lately.
I was involved in a conversation and he got banned because he said whackem and stack em. A home defense thread.
I looked at this board for several months before joining. I think what we can say here is much more freely.

We have been invaded by ground squirrels/chipmunks in the lawn and garden. My husband went down to the fireworks tent and bought a huge bag of smoke bombs. I presently have beautiful colored smoke coming out of the ground out back as he sets them off in the runs underground. He is havig way too much fun. Made me think of Caddy Shack 😁

Get more cats. Do you really want to poison the roots of something you are going to eat? Yesterday Conan the cat brought a vole, who was almost played out to my wife on the porch, in her rocking chair, He presented it to her and left. "See humans how easy it is to feed yourself. "

Every year I declare war on rodents around here. I use poison gas, poison grain, poison blocks and traps. Gophers, chipmunks, mice and voles are my worst enemies in the garden area. I also shoot a lot of chipmunks around the house, barn and garden. And ground squirrels everywhere else. I never thought about smoke bombs from the fireworks stand, I'll have to try some out. I get the poison gas bombs from the feed store. I'm building a couple water traps with a 5 gallon bucket and a 2 liter pop bottle for the voles and mice.
I hate cats, plus they aren't very effective.

Get more cats. Do you really want to poison the roots of something you are going to eat? Yesterday Conan the cat brought a vole, who was almost played out to my wife on the porch, in her rocking chair, He presented it to her and left. "See humans how easy it is to feed yourself. "

We call these gifts....... Love Offerings. I had a dead lizard in my bed one time. My cats are very generous. :)

Latest posts

Back