Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 10 gallons of muscadine grapes picked tonight. There are still at least 30 more gallons ripe but I ran out of daylight. I’ll get those tomorrow and the rest should be ripe within the next three weeks. I freeze all of them in 5 gallon buckets and then thaw them a few at a time to make batches of wine with. I love the muscadine flavors. With all the different varieties I have I can make custom flavors by mixing them. As soon as they are all picked I will do some cuttings and pot them to plant in the spring. There is always something to do around here….

Hi guys, live-in GF is a neatfreak, so what are ideas about storage units that I should take into consideration for stashing some supplies . . . like totes of canned food, and 5 gallon restaurant buckets filled with mylar-bagged (I use oxygen eaters) grains and beans?

Also, I see the large propane cylinders (15 pounds, I think) always stored outside, while the 1 pound disposable Coleman propane cylinders are safe to keep inside. What is the difference? I would think that 15 one pound cylinders would much more dagerous than one 15 pound cylinder, as 15 one pound cylinders have 15 valves that can fail, as opposed to one valve on the 15 pound cylinder.

I have a hose and adaptor that allows me to use a large 15 pound (or larger) propane cylinder on a simple, two-burner Ozark camp stove that I've had for almost 25 years.

I've used this thing during several hurricanes and assorted power outages, as well as taking it to the beach, on camping trips, etc.. It has yet to give me any trouble.

What are ways to store large propane cylinders discretely, yet safely? I'd like to put away about 5 of them.

No matter where you are storing your gas cylinders, if it is not properly ventilated, then you need a gas "sniffer" to set of an alarm if one or more of the valves becomes leaky. The good thing about properly built propane tanks is, the have the capability of having a burst breach if they are succumbed to too much heat as in fire. Instead of building so much pressure inside that they explode, at a certain pressure, they break open and let the contents of the gas or liquid propane burn off controllably, sounds kinda like a jet engine. They should be stored in a lockable cage with lots of air and away from prying eyes and thieves. Do not bury them under anything, as if they were ever to explode, this will all become schrapnel flying over a hundred meters distance.

Hi guys, live-in GF is a neatfreak, so what are ideas about storage units that I should take into consideration for stashing some supplies . . . like totes of canned food, and 5 gallon restaurant buckets filled with mylar-bagged (I use oxygen eaters) grains and beans?

Also, I see the large propane cylinders (15 pounds, I think) always stored outside, while the 1 pound disposable Coleman propane cylinders are safe to keep inside. What is the difference? I would think that 15 one pound cylinders would much more dagerous than one 15 pound cylinder, as 15 one pound cylinders have 15 valves that can fail, as opposed to one valve on the 15 pound cylinder.

I have a hose and adaptor that allows me to use a large 15 pound (or larger) propane cylinder on a simple, two-burner Ozark camp stove that I've had for almost 25 years.

I've used this thing during several hurricanes and assorted power outages, as well as taking it to the beach, on camping trips, etc.. It has yet to give me any trouble.

What are ways to store large propane cylinders discretely, yet safely? I'd like to put away about 5 of them.

Those are 20 pound tanks, but they only filled with about 14-16 pounds of propane. The cold won't effect them, but keep them below 120 degrees f. All size tanks are equipped with safety relief valves designed to release pressure build-up.

It's a regulation, that no tanks over 1 pound can be stored inside. There's a big difference between a 1 pound tank leaking or exploding, then a 15 pound tank.

the 20lb BBq size propane tanks don't need to be stored inside - don't really need any protection sitting around outside >>> get creative with storing the tanks around the yard - make a bench out of them or store them inside one of those plastic kid's play houses ...

Wish him a happy birthday from the members of DPF.
Robin I’m glad you get him out and do things with him because we are in bad times now and none of us know what the future holds for our children, looking at the last ten years and the change in the world I can’t foresee the next ten. Make the most of every day you can.

I keep my propane tanks stored inside and outside. I have several of the 5 gallon, 7 gal and 30 gallon size. During summer they're generally stored outside, winter they're all stored inside. Its hard to find a 5 gallon tank when there's 6 feet of snow on the ground. I’ve never had a problem with the way i store my tanks, but I've never seen it over 95 degs here either.
I’ve got a fitting for filling the little tanks too.

I keep my propane tanks stored inside and outside. I have several of the 5 gallon, 7 gal and 30 gallon size. During summer they're generally stored outside, winter they're all stored inside. Its hard to find a 5 gallon tank when there's 6 feet of snow on the ground. I’ve never had a problem with the way i store my tanks, but I've never seen it over 95 degs here either.
I’ve got a fitting for filling the little tanks too.
Thank you.

the 20lb BBq size propane tanks don't need to be stored inside - don't really need any protection sitting around outside >>> get creative with storing the tanks around the yard - make a bench out of them or store them inside one of those plastic kid's play houses ...
Thank you very much.

The neighborhood text messages were blowing up yesterday. 12 houses 20 acres each. One with 40. Started because one (a deputy sheriff let everyone know he was going to be target practicing And to put their gun shy dogs away.
The one of the complaining about shooting has the 40 and she lives here part time. The old rancher (who sold off the parcels in the 70’s) told her to move back to town If she didn’t like the shooting.
Today, the Sherrif has shot off about 50 rounds with no notification. I had to add a few so the percussion made it up to her house.
I think the message was sent.

Here where I live I only have one neighbor that I call and it’s because she is on a walker and I just don’t want to scare her causing her to fall, heck the mayor lives next door, almost every time I shoot , him and his state trooper son start target practicing as well.
I guess I’m lucky to get along with 99% of my neighborhood.

Last edited:
Here where I live I only have one neighbor that I call and it’s because she is on a walker and I just don’t want to scare her causing her to fall, heck the mayor lives next door, almost every time I shoot him and his state trooper son start target practicing as well.
I guess I’m lucky to get along with 99% of my neighborhood.
We just got on newbie that wants to run what the rest of us can do. I am the 4th newest and she ain’t gonna dictate to me. She will learn the hard way.
I used to make a neighbor call first, but that was after he pinned me down while he was using his AK. I was in a tree stand and he was shooting cross ways across my yard. This was on 1-3 acre lots.

Sounds like he need to be taught a lesson, we don’t shoot like that here, I built a nice range with a great backstop for target practice. Besides if that had happened to me we would have had a different discussion when it was over.
It was flat land. He respected my wishes after that. Actually felt bad for screwing up my hunting too. I told him he could, just didn’t expect to get pinned down. The incident and result ended the problem.
We got hills and canyons up here. The PIA person here is 2750ft away, 600Ft elevation rise, just got to figure out the windage. I think all that spelled out says enough

Latest posts

Back