Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got both slabs back up, got new dirt into area the pigs destroyed, smoothed it out and got some new grass seed and watering done. Should be green again in around 3 weeks. I hope.
IMG_0001.JPG

Since my last day off was changed by my Hunny renting a log splitter, today I wanted to accomplish what I was going to do on Thursday. Hunny had to make a run into town to drop off our taxes and on his route, he heard that one of the garden talk show host was going to be a few towns over. I got about half of what I needed done out in the garden before I needed to come in to get cleaned up. We did get a second elderberry and a pecan tree from the nursery. We have one pecan tree near the rent property side, but will admit that it will be nice to have one on this end too.

I was approached today by my boss lady to offer me a full time position. These are not given out lightly in my company. When hunny had his cancer scare, she said she would give me full time at any time, but I never wanted or needed. Today she told me she had a conference call with the company heads yesterday and apparently since our sells have gone way up, they want her to create a lead for what I do. She tells me that I would still have full range in 'my department', come in when I want setting my own hours, but I would have to do 36 to 40 hours a week. That is alnost double than what I do now. I already know that I would have to give up my garden, which is a BIG part of my life. That is what we live off of to a degree. We dont normally buy produce from the grocery store only om occasion. Then I have Claire to consider. I have been training her for months now in hopes to AI her to start getting milk in a year. Bosses pros are I can have 7 holidays a year and 2 weeks vacation just starting out along with the health insurance cost would only be around $50 a week for Bluecross Blue Shield. IF I did go full time I would want to pay off our debt of the house and the rent property. But I would have to give up my food secrurity to a point. . . I just do not know right now. I go into work every other day right now because others in the department don't give a crap (I have my own area in the department) which is why I would never feel comfortable taking a "vacation". I still have 53 hours in the bank from years earlier. I know it is a great opportunity for me, but I feel like it is either a career verses what I normally do everyday and love.
That's a tough choice to make. When my wife retired a few months ago she gave up a good paying job with 6 months vacation. Its been an adjustment for us financially, but she's happier than ever. Its after 8 pm here and she's still out in the garden. She gets to spend time with her chickens now, plus she's tamed most of our cattle, even the range cows will come when she calls.
We both agree that leaving her job was the best thing to do. She plans to start taking some $$$ from one of her investment accounts next month and that will help.
Good luck.

That's a tough choice to make. When my wife retired a few months ago she gave up a good paying job with 6 months vacation. Its been an adjustment for us financially, but she's happier than ever. Its after 8 pm here and she's still out in the garden. She gets to spend time with her chickens now, plus she's tamed most of our cattle, even the range cows will come when she calls.
We both agree that leaving her job was the best thing to do. She plans to start taking some $$$ from one of her investment accounts next month and that will help.
Good luck.
How did your young bull do this year?

I planned on getting the plants in ground today, too, but rainstorms all morning. Then afternoon sun, when we decided to go into town to run errands. I'll try again tomorrow

It hit 70 degs today. I'm finishing up my last post hole for the fur shed expansion. Just need to put concrete in the hole and bolt on the last farming board. The wife is in the garden planting black berries, asparagus, garlic, strawberries and potatoes. Tomorrow we'll plant some tomatoes, peppers, fruit trees and some other things I cant identify.
Think I'll start tearing down the rototiller and pressure washer until dark.

Finally got more in the ground today...30 tomatoes, 4 zucchini, 6 cucumbers, 9 peppers. More to follow. Granddaughter had a visit with her mom and some crazy lady drove her out. So husband and I had to keep an eye on the crazy lady, too. The mom also is nuts, so that was a rough 2 hrs. Got cleaned up, and family dinner at my cousin's house.

We are getting a long slow rain for 2 days now. The farm fields are full of sprouting plants everywhere. Wish I could ship part of it into the SW of the US to help there. 2 days of sun and then a day of rain for about 3 weeks now. An absolutely perfect springtime change of weather for the farmers.

We have been getting hammered off and on with rain right now. Up close to 7 inches. Already been out clearing ditches of pine needles and leaves for water to flow back thru. Started raining so hard that my muck boots were filling up with water. . . Saw this weeks worth is anywhere between 10-20 inches depending on where you are at but satellite cut out so not sure where we were on that.

Still no rain in sight here. Watering everyday.
We decided to put a roof over the rear deck. I made a materials list for it yesterday and will get a bid on the lumber later this week. It'll be 16×36. This should keep the ice dams from building up on the house and dropping several ton of ice on the deck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back