Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First day of digging post holes. Of course the first one is solid rock. I've been chipping on it for an hour now and have another foot and a half to go. I might even work up a blister on this one. Got a little soft over the winter.
I'm making some changes on the working corral and adding another 100'x100' foot section and moving some gates. I won't have it finished by branding time but I should have the gates moved at least. Won't have the calf table set up either, so we'll do the branding the old fashioned way; a couple guys with ropes. Branding the bull should be interesting. I guess he's close to 1800 pounds by now.

I have my first newborn kid tonight,,,came while it was raining

20210407_182420.jpg

First day of digging post holes. Of course the first one is solid rock. I've been chipping on it for an hour now and have another foot and a half to go. I might even work up a blister on this one. Got a little soft over the winter.
I'm making some changes on the working corral and adding another 100'x100' foot section and moving some gates. I won't have it finished by branding time but I should have the gates moved at least. Won't have the calf table set up either, so we'll do the branding the old fashioned way; a couple guys with ropes. Branding the bull should be interesting. I guess he's close to 1800 pounds by now.
Good luck. . . Does he have horns? Even better. . . . :rolleyes: Yes being sarcastic there. Just be very careful with that one.

phone scammers,,,,,,,I got a guy to admit he was trying to scam me,,,,,it made my day
Last time I called one out for trying to scam me he said "Shrimp Fried Rice. . . " WTHeck is wrong with these people?

Apparently somehow I got put on the Medicare call list. As soon as they start, I try to let them know I am not old enough to receive Medicare Yet. . . then I get a click. No, oh I am sorry there must have been a mix up. . . just hangs up.

well I looked and could not find a pecker,,,,,,,,in the morning I will look again
easiest way is just to look on the backside. I know it can be hard sometimes when you really dont want to mess with the babies. That is what was recommended to me when I first started out with goats. Don't mess with the babies too much or momma will reject them is what I was told. What I found out over the years, the earlier you "mess" with them the better. Maybe that is just me and my babies. I find that they are more accepting of you. Trust me, it is hard to catch a baby that doesn't "know" you at medication time. I try to spend as much time out with the goats, especially during kidding season as I can. When my favorite goat Sissy had hers, breech and pulled, I was literally out all night with them to make sure both were doing good. Her babe, Heidi walked between us all night to get held and loved on by me. Heidi helped "break the ice" so to speak with the kid I was not able to be out there when mom gave birth.

No horns here. The squeeze chute is pretty stout. I think it'll hold him.
At least that is on your side. We have one bull that has them but they go down and another without. Only a few of our girls have them. The Holstien bull doesnt fit in our squeeze shoot any more so he is a challenge for us I will admit when we have to administer any meds or fly spray for him. He is hunny's "pet" bull. :rolleyes: For a while I didnt even think that dumb animal knew how to procreate, but he apparently does. We just have to walk up and hope it gets done before he runs away now.

easiest way is just to look on the backside. I know it can be hard sometimes when you really dont want to mess with the babies. That is what was recommended to me when I first started out with goats. Don't mess with the babies too much or momma will reject them is what I was told. What I found out over the years, the earlier you "mess" with them the better. Maybe that is just me and my babies. I find that they are more accepting of you. Trust me, it is hard to catch a baby that doesn't "know" you at medication time. I try to spend as much time out with the goats, especially during kidding season as I can. When my favorite goat Sissy had hers, breech and pulled, I was literally out all night with them to make sure both were doing good. Her babe, Heidi walked between us all night to get held and loved on by me. Heidi helped "break the ice" so to speak with the kid I was not able to be out there when mom gave birth.
I am hands on,,,the doe is not bad to handle but any kids born here will be easy to handle,,,I spend a lot of time with them

Latest posts

Back