Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
California is a good place for "homeless" people. Keep them out of this area. With almost every business hiring, why would there be any homeless? When I travel out of the area I occasionally see some bums on street corners begging. I've even seen some fools give them money! Bums are like stray cats, keep feeding them and they'll never go away.
Controversial statement,

Many do make homelessness a choice by choosing drugs etc first. Others have mental illness and the Left didn't like the stigma of mental hospitals and got rid of many. Some were horror hospitals, but many did good for people who can be treated with drugs and ongoing therapy.

California is a good place for "homeless" people. Keep them out of this area. With almost every business hiring, why would there be any homeless? When I travel out of the area I occasionally see some bums on street corners begging. I've even seen some fools give them money! Bums are like stray cats, keep feeding them and they'll never go away.
Normally I would have agreed but right now, the housing market here is still very over priced. There are people hiring, but it's mostly fast food. Some factory, but those are harder to get. There's not much industry here.

A lot of people from cities have been coming to buy property in that town (because it's quaint) and in the country (because they want a homestead). This area has a HUGE influx of wealthy ciry folks looking to escape. Finding a rental is nearly impossible. When we were building our house, we paid $1200/month. For an area whose annual salaries average around $35k, that's pretty steep.

After going through my illness and spending probably $100k on medical stuff, I have learned that literally anyone's situation can change in a heartbeat. Ours did. I no longer believe that good preparation can always prevent bad things from happening. This world is a fallen place and sometimes awful stuff happens to decent people and there's no amount of planning (or government oversight!) that can prevent it.

I never give money to people begging. But someone digging through trash? Yeah, I am going to help. But for the grace of God, I go.

Shyte can happen and does. I never give money to beggars but I have helped individuals in the past. Once I was at a grocery store, late one night, the lady in front of me tried to pay for her purchase with credit cards but all were declined. I looked at her purchases and all of it was baby items, not a single item for her. I handed the cashier my card and paid for her items. Another time a little old lady was asking for money for food. I took her into the nearest fast food joint had her her order whatever she wanted. She was worried that she might order something too expensive. I insisted she order what ever she wanted. She left with a full belly. Never give cash to beggars, it will most likely go for drugs or alcohol. Feed them but do not support bad habits.

Happy Sunday!

1668947660558.jpeg

It hasnt been above 63° in my house since the cold started. The hvac part has been ordered for over a month. Mom is toasty in her rooms with the doors closed and Clay has been sleeping with a heating pad. I sleep in the living room to keep the fire going for a little heat. When the sun comes out, I doesnt feel that cold, but at 4 a.m., my old bones are cold.

We took the grandkids up to meet their mom yesterday. We meet her halfway, about 200 miles north of here. When we left home at 6 am it was -4 degs. The town we meet in is the lowest point in the state. We got there at 1 pm and it was 41 degs. T shirt weather. We got home at 10 pm. Before we left home I programed the furnace to come on at 60 degrees and shutoff at 70. It was nice coming home to a warm house. The wood stove was still warm and had a few coals left.
This morning it's 10 degrees outside and 65 inside.

I ran out of propane for kitchen stove this past Monday. We are set up on auto refill which I thought was at least once a year and due this month for refill. The meter on tank is old and somebow I read it to show 45% last weekend when I checked it, which I thought would do til refill time. Anyway, apparently it was at 0. I have some propane camping cook stoves, and a gas grill outside, but was able to get them out same day to refill. I think I am going to get a 40 lb. tank for the outdoor gas grill also. As another alternate cooking source, either for a have to, go to at some point, or for smoking meat, etc., I am thinking of asking my 2 sons to make me an outdoor firepit to cook over. Any thoughts from others here on making your own vs buying one? Also, if making your own is recommended, any best design recommendations, best materials, or other tips appreciated.

I ran out of propane for kitchen stove this past Monday. We are set up on auto refill which I thought was at least once a year and due this month for refill. The meter on tank is old and somebow I read it to show 45% last weekend when I checked it, which I thought would do til refill time. Anyway, apparently it was at 0. I have some propane camping cook stoves, and a gas grill outside, but was able to get them out same day to refill. I think I am going to get a 40 lb. tank for the outdoor gas grill also. As another alternate cooking source, either for a have to, go to at some point, or for smoking meat, etc., I am thinking of asking my 2 sons to make me an outdoor firepit to cook over. Any thoughts from others here on making your own vs buying one? Also, if making your own is recommended, any best design recommendations, best materials, or other tips appreciated.
On the fire pit, I bought one of the kits (blocks and fire ring) and used as a construction learning for my then teen age son. Without a tripod, it would have been hard to cook from.
Because of fire season around here I went this
BDADA6D9-0ED6-4FAF-BBF7-A817ADC2B1FC.jpeg
Easier to cook from too.

I have a Coleman bottle propane stove and now two antique Griswold double burners that I can hook up to a grill tank. I posted at pic of one previously (search cast iron if you are interested)

We have several 5, 7 and 20 gallon propane bottles plus a 500 gallon tank for the house and another 500 gallon tank for the pump house. We use the smaller tanks on the BBQ grill, a two burner and a single burner stove and a gridle. We also have a couple campground style fire pits. One has a provision for hanging a pot over the fire. These work great, but I'm also planning on building a large fire pit in the back yard out of cement blocks with a rack that can be raised and lowered over the fire.
During fall, winter and spring we burn a lot of slash and brush piles around the yard. Once they burn down to coals we put a Dutch oven and foil wrapped potatoes in the coals. We have an electric smoker on the back deck too, we don't use it often because it uses too much electric (we're on solar). This summer I built a small smoke house, 3'×4'×6' tall with wood storage on the side. It's all made of cedar. I have a fire box inside where I use charcoal for heat and put wood chunks on top of a grill over the coals. It has 2 large racks for putting the items on for smoking.

Hang in there Robin! Do you have a kerosene heater? We’ve got one of those for backup. As a young mom I’ve had a kerosene heater and kerosene stocked for outages since my oldest was born. They really do heat well!
I have little electric heaters that I am using

I guess I'm handicapped when it comes to hooking up gas tanks to line for stove. I'm not sure I could even get the big tank behind the house unhooked to the one for kitchen stove. I've only got stove on propane, everything else is electric except outdoor grills and camp stoves. I couldn't lift the gas grill tank up to get it to the line for stove...the big tank is verticle and the line is up high. It's not one that lays horizontal. Not easy to access for hooking another tank to. Good idea though.

I like the Dutch oven idea also for potatoes AD, after burning brush down since we do have fire puts for that purpose on property. I am going to get an outdoor fire pit though. I want one whether I need it for back- up or not.

I couldn't lift the gas grill tank up to get it to the line for stove...the big tank is verticle and the line is up high. It's not one that lays horizontal. Not easy to access for hooking another tank to.
Sounds like you need to make an adapter hose which will extend down lower for you to be able to hook it up next time better and alone...

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna let it run out again and relying on the propane folks to come do their job and keep it filled. Guy that came to fill it said I was set up on 2 yr. Fill schedule...nope! They screwed that up. Anyway he changed my schedule times for refills, so I shouldn't run out again.

Latest posts

Back