Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooking a turkey is pretty easy. The very basic turkey: wash it. Take the neck out and the bag with the liver and junk. I stick that junk in the microwave and cook it up for the dogs. Put the turkey in a roasting pan and put it in the oven at 325 degrees. It'll tell you on the package for how long. A 20 lb turkey is about 4 and a half hours. That's it. I cooked three the past week. Two of them were packaged in ziplocks and frozen for other meals. The third was served last night.

Ron DeSantis 2024@RonDeSantisSupporters
6h·
FOLLOW @RonDeSantisSupporters

1638018310473.jpeg

Cooking a turkey is pretty easy. The very basic turkey: wash it. Take the neck out and the bag with the liver and junk. I stick that junk in the microwave and cook it up for the dogs. Put the turkey in a roasting pan and put it in the oven at 325 degrees. It'll tell you on the package for how long. A 20 lb turkey is about 4 and a half hours. That's it. I cooked three the past week. Two of them were packaged in ziplocks and frozen for other meals. The third was served last night.
Thanks.. 325° instead of 350° . Got it. I've seen people rub them down with butter or oil and stick onions and celery in the cavity. I have cooked lots of whole chickens so I'll just tack on the time.

I would cook it at a lower temperature. Personally, I cook mine at 275. I think it tastes better when slower cooked. At least lower it down to 325. At 275 it takes about 20ish minutes per pound. Baste every hour.
Thanks. You know it's all about the baste about the baste, no treble. If you don't have younger family, that just went over your head.

Cooked the bird for 4 hours, still wasn't done. Took off the legs and cooked them some more and it all worked out.

I split the difference and cooked it at 315 for 2 hours then upped the temp to 350.

My turkeys are currency. Murder it, pluck it, gut it. clean it. Fire up the smoker. I have a two chamber smoker. The lower one has charcoal, wood of your choice. I prefer Mesquite. Any (most) hardwood will do. If you have an orchard apple, cherry, and I tried this year, apricot do well. Resist using pine. It makes everything taste like Gin. In side I put chopped up apple, onion. peppers and cranberries on the inside. Take your time. The lower smoke chamber has a rack where I put a caldron of water with pepper corns and cranberries. Check the temperature sometimes. It should be about 180 degrees. The upper chamber is where the magic takes place. Hot flavored steam and long term smoke for about 18 hours. More for more less for less. The smoke chamber is about 4 feet long. If the wings and legs start to look a little brown move it farther from the fire. One more thing it keeps longer than oven baked. And makes an excellent pot pie. Happy Thanksgiving! D

Still waiting for this global economic collapse that was promises nearly 2 months ago, I suppose its in the same place as this global war the cranks are now forcasting.

the timetable just isn't firmed up - but - the individual "chips" keep falling into place - scary freaking crap that only leads one direction and for only one ending ...

another disturbing tidbit from a reliable Israeli source today >>>

Latest posts

Back