Chat Messages

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Lindy

Active Member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
228
Reaction score
261
Location
Southern Illinois
I need some advice please. My emotions are all over the place. I went to let our small 7 yr old dog out but I failed to check if he was secured before I opened the door. He is trained to sit on the porch while I close the door because I have mobility issues. Once I give the free command he can walk into the yard. Yesterday he bolted and ran towards a woman who walks these two big dogs. Goliath (our little dog) wanted to greet them but the two big dogs must have felt like he was going to do harm
 

Lindy

Active Member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
228
Reaction score
261
Location
Southern Illinois
Please advice me I’m to emotionally attached to my dog. He has helped me through so many dark and lonely days. My little dog was mauled by two big dogs. His injuries are extensive. The vet said he could heal but he will be in great pain for months and his daily care will be very expensive. Is the companionate thing to let him go. I don’t want him to suffer because I failed to keep him safe. Please help me I don’t know what to do.
 

GeorgiaPeachie

A True Doomsday Prepper
Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2020
Messages
4,336
Reaction score
17,514
Location
Georgia
Please advice me I’m to emotionally attached to my dog. He has helped me through so many dark and lonely days. My little dog was mauled by two big dogs. His injuries are extensive. The vet said he could heal but he will be in great pain for months and his daily care will be very expensive. Is the companionate thing to let him go. I don’t want him to suffer because I failed to keep him safe. Please help me I don’t know what to do.
First of all sending you prayers for your Angels to comfort you. I feel for your little dog. Since I don’t believe in letting animals suffer, I would put him to sleep…but this is a very personal decision. It sounds like your vet thinks it is better for your little friend to go to heaven now.
 

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2015
Messages
6,687
Reaction score
21,149
Location
Tennessee
Lindy, I am so sorry. I guess you have to look at it from his perspective. Does he want to suffer in great pain for a long time? How complete will his recovery be? Are you doing what's best for him or are you just not wanting to give him up? It is a very hard decision that most of us here have had to make. I am sure you will come to the best decision for both of you.
 

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2013
Messages
12,940
Reaction score
41,138
Location
Columbus, GA USA
Lindy, I'm so sorry to hear about that.
We really have two separate issues here.
One is the question of whether is best for Goliath to suffer for a while but keep on living so that the two of you can someday go back to enjoying your relationship, or to end his suffering.
Two is whether you are willing to put in the time and expense of treatments.
Since your mind is likely clouded by emotions, I would ask your vet's advice about number one.
Number two is something only you can decide. Make sure the vet knows you understand both questions and that you want to consider them separately.
I am certainly not in any position to make that kind of decision for you.
 

EastenerWesterner

God Like
Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2021
Messages
788
Reaction score
2,374
Location
Diablo Range of the Kommunist Republik
@Lindy iDK you and you don’t know me. My wife is DVM With a few extra letters after that.
if you can afford it, do it.
If you can’t, its ok too judging from the severity.
I just put a 14 yr old down that I was giving shots to 3 times a day when she was in an severe infection mode a few years ago.
It is your choice, but pet insurance makes it easier.
 

Lindy

Active Member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
228
Reaction score
261
Location
Southern Illinois
@Lindy iDK you and you don’t know me. My wife is DVM With a few extra letters after that.
if you can afford it, do it.
If you can’t, its ok too judging from the severity.
I just put a 14 yr old down that I was giving shots to 3 times a day when she was in an severe infection mode a few years ago.
It is your choice, but pet insurance makes it easier.
We tried to get pet insurance but Goliath getscseizures and takes meds for it so the three pet insurances we called rejected him. A friends daughter has a Golden that attacked a little dog and had the same thing our dog has. It took their little dog 5 weeks to recover and the Vet bill was over $5,000. The owner of the little dog said she should pay the Vet bills. Her Homeowner Insurance is covering the cost. I don’t know if we should ask the owners of the two dogs to pay because Goliath ran out of the house without a leash even though he was on our property they still might say it is our fault.
 

Lindy

Active Member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
228
Reaction score
261
Location
Southern Illinois
Lindy, I'm so sorry to hear about that.
We really have two separate issues here.
One is the question of whether is best for Goliath to suffer for a while but keep on living so that the two of you can someday go back to enjoying your relationship, or to end his suffering.
Two is whether you are willing to put in the time and expense of treatments.
Since your mind is likely clouded by emotions, I would ask your vet's advice about number one.
Number two is something only you can decide. Make sure the vet knows you understand both questions and that you want to consider them separately.
I am certainly not in any position to make that kind of decision for you.
Thank you for your thoughts!
 

Lindy

Active Member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
228
Reaction score
261
Location
Southern Illinois
Lindy, I am so sorry. I guess you have to look at it from his perspective. Does he want to suffer in great pain for a long time? How complete will his recovery be? Are you doing what's best for him or are you just not wanting to give him up? It is a very hard decision that most of us here have had to make. I am sure you will come to the best decision for both of you.
We have asked all those questions! Thank you for your thoughts!
 

Lindy

Active Member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
228
Reaction score
261
Location
Southern Illinois
First of all sending you prayers for your Angels to comfort you. I feel for your little dog. Since I don’t believe in letting animals suffer, I would put him to sleep…but this is a very personal decision. It sounds like your vet thinks it is better for your little friend to go to heaven now.
Thank you for your thought! It is so difficult. My husband wants to try! While I don’t want to loose him I see how bad it is I think we should let him go. My husband said we should wait until we see his regular vet on Monday when we take him there to change the packing of the wound. They are closed because of the holiday. We will take him back to the hospital each day until then. The ER Vets that have worked on him thinks he has a 50/50 chance.
 

Latest posts

Top