Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know if they are, but I would threat them in the same category as oatmeal. Somewhere between cream of wheat- and polenta.
It is a regional dish that is quite good.
Most of the south wouldn’t understand Polenta.
Some of the work camps that I've been to around the world had grits in the chow line, if there was any Texans or coon asses working there. Still never tried them. Usually stayed away from the southern boys.

I'd like to get a wire feed for my Bobcat stick welder. And a spool gun for aluminum.
During winter I would braze some spots on the bottom of my horse shoes. Then I'd weld borium (sp) on to the brass. This would provide traction on the ice for my draft horses. Under the shoe I'd cut a heavy sheet of plastic to match the horse shoe, then nail all in to place. This would keep the snow from sticking to the hoof. I'd also squirt some silicone between the plastic and the hoof to keep the snow out. Never had a lame horse in winter.
I have a feeling I am going to have to learn how to trim hooves. When that time comes, I will pay for my former Farrier to come up and teach me. He is my friend and I always invite him up to go turkey and deer hunting. He is also the only true cowboy I know. Ropes for his passion.
I guess I am lucky in not needing shoes for my herd.

. She would like the cheese and butter, but California girls in Louisiana typically don’t adapt. She never adapted the short time was in NY.

Last time she was in NY, she wanted avocado on her omelette and sourdough for her toast. I had to tell her they didn’t know what that was in Buffalo NY.

I did get her to go to a restaurant in LA that was featured on Diners, Drivins, and Dives, that had great Po boys. She even had a King cake shipped for me to try.
Laughed out loud at this.
I’m the same way. Avocado and sprouts and Swiss cheese! Haha
You can take us CA girls out of CA but… you know how that goes. 😂

I have a feeling I am going to have to learn how to trim hooves. When that time comes, I will pay for my former Farrier to come up and teach me. He is my friend and I always invite him up to go turkey and deer hunting. He is also the only true cowboy I know. Ropes for his passion.
I guess I am lucky in not needing shoes for my herd.
I usually didn't shoe my horses in summer, unless their hooves started splitting due to dry weather. But since I rode my horses, or used them for pulling logs or sleds, during winter I'd always kept them shod starting around November 1st. Trimming is easy, unless your horse likes to nap and lean over on you. I trained all of my horses to pick their foot up on command. And to stay put during the procedure.

I have mainly Chincoteague Ponies. Mostly Pasture ornaments of my wife’s failed business venture. They are a very hardy breed. But the last 3 years some have reverted to their wild ways being in an open environment.
The 2, slightly under 20 not born on the island are a little more handleable. I broke the 27 yr old stallion. He is my bud and will do what ever I say.
I have only been around these guys for 10 yrs. and I am still learning.

KYRfROI.jpg
HwKSs4y.jpg
GIGRqJ9.jpg
MtrIlWV.jpg

Best buddy from Germany went back home yesterday. I introduced him to the Godfather of my gypsy neighbor and he got adopted by them as a new son/gypsy...they got drunk on moonshine together and enjoyed the fireworks together. Gonna miss him again.
Getting the new car on the 25th Sep. Thought I was gonna drive 25 year old jalopy types for the rest of my poor SS life, but we had enough for a downpayment and 36 month leasing for a KIA sportage AWD, 4 cyl. diesel with 150HP, with automatic and a trailer hitch...
Starting the roof on the terrace, digging taters, killing rats eating my pumpkins, went swimming in the lake when all the others said it was too cold and were only wading to their knees!!!
Pantry is full, TP on hand, garden producing, extra cash on hand, still healthy, kids are both working, grandkids are healthy...life is good, live free, Gary

Last edited:
I'm going start looking for grits. They sound good, especially with cheese. I dont remember seeing grits on the menu around here. Maybe when we head south next week the grocery store might have some.
Make sure you bring the water to a boil first then slowly stir in the grits to the boiling water. Otherwise you get lumpy grits.

I had a friend who swore by colloidal silver, and the whites of his eyes did look blueish. I think he took too much. But I've also seen the cream sold by Emergency Essentials, and that didn't look like as big a deal.
We have tons of mosquitoes that get going after a rain. Husband is vaxxed, I'm not. We both get bit. I use OFF because I can't stand it.

When reading about colloidal silver I came across an article by Dr Axe that described the uses and cautions for CS. There are actually 3 types of CS being sold. He fingered the most popular one...the ionic silver type as the one that causes bluish color if taken too much. From his article...

3. True Colloidal Silver
Lastly, true silver colloids don’t contain any protein or other additives, as the vast majority of the silver content consists of nanometre-sized silver particles. This will be the most effective type of colloidal silver.”

I don’t know if they are, but I would threat them in the same category as oatmeal. Somewhere between cream of wheat- and polenta.
It is a regional dish that is quite good.
Most of the south wouldn’t understand Polenta.
Polenta is non-nixtamalized corn grits. In other words, a very specific type of grits. Grits have been made from other grains, like barley. The native Americans figured out 3500 years ago that if you nixtamalize corn (hominy) then you don't get pellagra from eating a diet of chiefly corn. Pellagra is caused by a niacin deficiency. The rest of the world didn't figure out how to avoid pellagra until the 20th century. The niacin in corn is in the form of niacytin which is not bioavailable. Nixtamalization converts the niacytin into free niacin.

Three different types of Grits (only one is Polenta):

Hominy Grits (Labeled "Old Fashioned" because it's been made for 3500 years, LOL):
k1cr4e3.png

Corn Grits (AKA Polenta):
fLUYeVw.jpg

Barley Grits:
91ZTqrt+vUL._SL1500_.jpg

I'd like to get a wire feed for my Bobcat stick welder. And a spool gun for aluminum.
During winter I would braze some spots on the bottom of my horse shoes. Then I'd weld borium (sp) on to the brass. This would provide traction on the ice for my draft horses. Under the shoe I'd cut a heavy sheet of plastic to match the horse shoe, then nail all in to place. This would keep the snow from sticking to the hoof. I'd also squirt some silicone between the plastic and the hoof to keep the snow out. Never had a lame horse in winter.
Not a bad idea at all for the horses, when growing up we had tenn walkers show horses, wish i had them now!!

Totally not about prepping. I was singing the Armour hot dog song to my son and realized for the first time that it is one of the most politically incorrect commercials ever. We didnt realize it either. No one was cancelled and no one sought therapy because it hurt their feelings.

Oh no I'm singing it now.
Hotdogs. Armour Hotdogs. What kind of kids eat armour hotdogs? Fat kids. Skinny kids. Kids that climb on rocks. Tough kids. Sissy kids. Even kids with chicken pox love hot dogs. Armour hotdogs. The dogs kids love to bite.
I love it.

Oh no I'm singing it now.
Hotdogs. Armour Hotdogs. What kind of kids eat armour hotdogs? Fat kids. Skinny kids. Kids that climb on rocks. Tough kids. Sissy kids. Even kids with chicken pox love hot dogs. Armour hotdogs. The dogs kids love to bite.
I love it.

And now you have me singing that darn tune. I will end up dreaming about Amor Hotdogs now. Evil, pure evil. LOL

Latest posts

Back