Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you are in the Deep South when the supermarket has a whole isle devoted to grits 😆

AY2aY8i.jpg

Year's ago I went to visit my hillbilly family in Tennessee. They fed us "cat heads". I thought they meant the real thing. No grits though.
cat heads biscuits are made with real flour and rolled in dough, my grannie used to cook all hers in a wood fired stove, best ever!

One cup of grits, 4 cups of water, a lil salt and peper, bring to boil , cover and cut heat off, stiring occasionaly till they thicken, best grits ever!
20 minutes usually. I replace one of the cups of water with a cup of whole milk. The reason you have to stir occasionally is that some will stick to the bottom of the pan and burn if you don't ever stir them up.

I finf Jim Dandy grits to be best!!
I used to use Jim Dandy but I can't find their regular grits anymore. All the stores just have the Jim Dandy quick grits. Now I get either local stone ground grits or Quaker Old Fashioned grits (they are made from hominy, which is how grits were originally made).

Mig welding is very easy, also stock up on specialty brazing rods, , Ones that you can weld alum, cast or other metals with!!!
. I learned to braze copper and told I was a natural 30 yrs ago. I bought a Flux core to fix a few things around here.
I was told on another forum that I had to have a little skill to get rebar welded together for my first project.
To me it’s a learn as you go thing. Its a learning process for me. My welds have been pretty ugly But they get the job done.

. I learned to braze copper and told I was a natural 30 yrs ago. I bought a Flux core to fix a few things around here.
I was told on another forum that I had to have a little skill to get rebar welded together for my first project.
To me it’s a learn as you go thing. Its a learning process for me. My welds have been pretty ugly But they get the job done.
When i was growing up my dad owned lumber mills, his mill wrights taught me to weld and run machines when i was 14 years old and every summer till i graduated from college, I learned from old time millwrights!!!

Tell her to add a little cheese and butter and she should love them!
. She would like the cheese and butter, but California girls in Louisiana typically don’t adapt. She never adapted the short time was in NY.

Last time she was in NY, she wanted avocado on her omelette and sourdough for her toast. I had to tell her they didn’t know what that was in Buffalo NY.

I did get her to go to a restaurant in LA that was featured on Diners, Drivins, and Dives, that had great Po boys. She even had a King cake shipped for me to try.

Grits came from an Indian dish that the Choctaws call tamfula. You soak the corn in water and wood ash (the lye in the wood ash turns it into hominy), then rinse it well, grind in a mortar and pestle, and boil it. Masa flour used in Mexican dishes like corn tortillas and tamales is similar but ground finer.

When i was growing up my dad owned lumber mills, his mill wrights taught me to weld and run machines when i was 14 years old and every summer till i graduated from college, I learned from old time millwrights!!!
I first learned welding in high school, back when they still taught skills. Also took agriculture, forestry, auto shop and wood shop in HS. A couple years after HS I went to work in a welding shop that manufactured heavy equipment components, underground mining equipment etc. I welded in the shop and out in the field, in sawmills, mining and smelting projects. Its a good trade to learn. Worked there for 13 years, from welder, fabricator, foreman and manager.

Grits came from an Indian dish that the Choctaws call tamfula. You soak the corn in water and wood ash (the lye in the wood ash turns it into hominy), then rinse it well, grind in a mortar and pestle, and boil it. Masa flour used in Mexican dishes like corn tortillas and tamales is similar but ground finer.
I'm going start looking for grits. They sound good, especially with cheese. I dont remember seeing grits on the menu around here. Maybe when we head south next week the grocery store might have some.

I'd like to get a wire feed for my Bobcat stick welder. And a spool gun for aluminum.
During winter I would braze some spots on the bottom of my horse shoes. Then I'd weld borium (sp) on to the brass. This would provide traction on the ice for my draft horses. Under the shoe I'd cut a heavy sheet of plastic to match the horse shoe, then nail all in to place. This would keep the snow from sticking to the hoof. I'd also squirt some silicone between the plastic and the hoof to keep the snow out. Never had a lame horse in winter.

I'm going start looking for grits. They sound good, especially with cheese. I dont remember seeing grits on the menu around here. Maybe when we head south next week the grocery store might have some.
I don’t know if they are, but I would threat them in the same category as oatmeal. Somewhere between cream of wheat- and polenta.
It is a regional dish that is quite good.
Most of the south wouldn’t understand Polenta.

Latest posts

Back