Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the railroad "take" the land by eminent domain? Was he fairly compensated for the land? Either way I'm totally aginst eminent domain or takings of any kind for any reason.
Yes they took it because they wanted a bigger train yard, but he did get fair value for the property. I'm against anyone taking land that is not theirs.

I grew up in a very hot and dry climate in Oregon where pink eye was common. The cattle would get it from the flys and off the grass, plus it was contagious. We'd treat it by spraying a purple substance out of a can in to the eye. Cant remember the name now. It was generally very effective, but occasionally we'd have to do surgery with a sharpened spoon.
are you taking about the purple wound spray? Also can find it I pink I believe.

are you taking about the purple wound spray? Also can find it I pink I believe.
I think that's the stuff. We used it when de-horning too.
Going to be another hot day here. Yesterday got up to 87 degs and by 9am this morning its already 71. This is more like August temps. May have to turn the AC on later today.

I am sure you have heard of the refrigeration technician who died and went to hell. He said to the devil. " Its way to hot in here. I can fix this." The devil agreed and so they built the air conditioner from hell. Hell became a pleasent place to live. God looked down and said. " You shall not have have air conditioning in Hell" The devil replied. " What are you going to do about it?" God said " Well, By God I will sue you. Saten laughed and said. "Where are you going to find a lawyer?

Yes they took it because they wanted a bigger train yard, but he did get fair value for the property. I'm against anyone taking land that is not theirs.
Thats always a possibility when a person owns land thats in a built up or commercial area, or in the path of "progress". Its highly unlikely that my area will ever be in the path of progress, however, the forest service has said that they want our ranch. They'd like to get the people, like us, off the FS inholdings. Every year they keep raising our lease payments, eventually it could be more than we can afford. Then they came up with a scheme to do a "prescribed" burn around 3 sides of our land. These prescribed burns tend to get away from them. Last year there was a little fire about 60 miles south of us that got out of hand and burned to within a half mile of our western border. Over 300,000 acres total.
We have fire insurance just in case.

After fence repairs and chores today the wife and I decided to go swimming. There's a river not far from us that's down in the bottom of a steep canyon. Everything around here is steep but this canyon is mostly straight up and down. The road is narrow and windy and scared the wife. I think the elevation drops about 3,000 feet in just a few miles. There was a large tree that fell across the road and I had to winch it out of the way. Anyway made it to the river and cooled off. The temp in the canyon was 98 degs and it was 88 at home. Tomorrow we're going up to a lake that's not far away either. Normally this lake is snowed in until August but I think with this hot dry weather the trail could be open.

Our highs have been in the mid to high 80's but heat index in the 90's with the humidity. I got up at 4:30 this morning to get an early start on chores to beat the heat. Second day of painting on the woodshed. One more day to go. We got rain late yesterday and again last night. All together about half an inch. Next job on the list is painting the chicken house.

It was 95 here today. 1 deg away from the hottest temp that I've ever seen here, and that was in August.
We've had less than an inch of rain since March and only a few inches of snow during that time. Our spring was cold and dry, so by the time it warmed up for the grass to grow it was already too dry. The wife and I rode around the property today to see how much grass we have and how long it might last. I'm guessing that we have maybe 10% of the grass that we would normally have at the end of June. Many of the area ranchers are already taking their cattle off the range. Some ranchers are only getting half their normal cutting of hay.
Our cattle have only been on pasture for 2 months and I'm going to have to start feeding within another week. I'm going to take another load to the auction this Friday, and every Friday until they're all gone.
Saw smoke on the ridge to the west of us today.

Last edited:
in for a long day tomorrow,, looking to do 4 yards tomorrow before the rain moves in
Our highs have been in the mid to high 80's but heat index in the 90's with the humidity. I got up at 4:30 this morning to get an early start on chores to beat the heat. Second day of painting on the woodshed. One more day to go. We got rain late yesterday and again last night. All together about half an inch. Next job on the list is painting the chicken house.
My daughter lives 29 minutes away and they had a monsoon. We had zero.

Its noon here and we're already 86 degs. I'll probably need to start the AC just before dark again. At least we're getting a nice breeze blowing and some clouds are moving in over the mountains from the west. Not likely that we'll see any rain but its nice to see some clouds anyway.
In east Texas, we’ve been running the AC since the snow melted in February

In east Texas, we’ve been running the AC since the snow melted in February
And that's why I live here in the mountains. I would use our AC more except the heat pump will only run when the backup generator is already running. It needs something called a hard start before the heat pump will cause the generator to start.

Latest posts

Back