Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am taking a goat to the vet today,, dealing with what I think is Pinkeye but I want to be certain
I had pinkeye once. I opened up a minocycline capsule and mixed the yellow powder with a few tablespoons of water and put a single drop of it in my eye. It cleared up over night!
Disclaimer: proper medical attention was not available to me at that time so maybe your vet has better stuff. Minocycline has no shortage of side effects (even when properly used), many are serious, but it sure worked well for me.

The biting Flys are out. The wife and I were sitting on the back deck and one of the little bitting buggers went up my shorts and bit me on the xxx. The wife thought it was really funny. Not sure what this has to do with preparing, but after SHTF the bugs are going to take over.
The biting insects are horrible here. I converted the backpack blower into a sprayer and started experimenting with insecticides last year. I found a few that work good for mosquitos:; cyclohalothrin, bifenthrin, and permethrin (that last one toxic to cats though) and have been using a mixture of bifenthrin and permethrin with great success, but none of the ones I've tried works for the horse and deer flies.

Two different friends recommended products for the flies. One was an essential oil mixture that smells like root beer, and although I cannot find it online, I know it works because he sprayed it here once - it just don't last long. The other was malathion which I ordered earlier today. I hope it works.

I picked up the new generator yesterday. While we were out we decided to go to a flea mart about 75 miles south of us. They had a lot of cast iron skillets and a few Dutch ovens, but nothing that we wanted. I did pick up an old ringer that I can use for fleshing small animal hides. It was 100 degs down there. Fortunately there was a bar next door so we had a few colds ones before heading home. It was 77 degs at home with a nice breeze blowing.

The thermometer said 44°C today... upward of 110°F...went swimming after working on cleaning the 250 gallon water tank the neighbor uses to take showers outside in the summer when the water gets heated by the sun. She has not cleaned it out in 8 years! Took 2 hours of spraying and scrubbing up on the roof to get it clean enough from the old algae and gunk again to shower with...HOT, HOT work...drank half a gallon of cold milk and ate lots of sunflower seeds and cashews for energy afterwards!

We paid $650 for a 6 week old Jersey heifer calf down here. That was September of 2020. $250 is cheap!!
We finally got the check from the auction yard. Our steers went for almost $1,000 each for 800+ lb calves and the heifers sold for a little over $600 for 600 - 700 lb calves. It was a lot less than I expected. We'll take another load in by the end of July, and another load in September, if the grass holds out.

the pinkeye is almost gone she can see again,, I will continue treatment for another week just to be sure it does not come back on her
Have to honestly say I was pissed after seeing your post. What kind of persom doesnt pay attention to his heard and notice issues? I have almost 40 and still take notice of every individual goat.

Stinking hot here today. 90 degrees plus. Only getting down to 60 at night. Forcast calls for triple digits for most of next week. This is unheard of in Montana even in August. 11 percent humidity. Watering everything double. Fortunately I am blessed with an abundance of water. On the positive side, the 7 cords of wood in the shed will probably be match light by October.

Have to honestly say I was pissed after seeing your post. What kind of persom doesnt pay attention to his heard and notice issues? I have almost 40 and still take notice of every individual goat.
someone who either doesn't care or knows nothing about animals,,,, just my opinion

someone who either doesn't care or knows nothing about animals,,,, just my opinion
Your doe could have become completely blind. . . The breeder you got her from didnt care apparently because that would have been more work for him. If you care for animals, you take the good and bad in my opinion.

Your doe could have become completely blind. . . The breeder you got her from didnt care apparently because that would have been more work for him. If you care for animals, you take the good and bad in my opinion.
her sight is coming back,, I don't know how much she will get back but at least now she isn't running into walls and tripping over things,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I hope for 50% or better but will take what I get,,,,,,,,,,, she will never leave here

I gave a friend last year 4 goats. to help him keep the "weeds down" on his property in the city. The railroad is now taking part of his 2 acres, taking him down to only 3/4 of an acre. I told him bring them home. . .
Did the railroad "take" the land by eminent domain? Was he fairly compensated for the land? Either way I'm totally aginst eminent domain or takings of any kind for any reason.

her sight is coming back,, I don't know how much she will get back but at least now she isn't running into walls and tripping over things,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I hope for 50% or better but will take what I get,,,,,,,,,,, she will never leave here
I grew up in a very hot and dry climate in Oregon where pink eye was common. The cattle would get it from the flys and off the grass, plus it was contagious. We'd treat it by spraying a purple substance out of a can in to the eye. Cant remember the name now. It was generally very effective, but occasionally we'd have to do surgery with a sharpened spoon.

Latest posts

Back