Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the wifes doctors appointment we stopped and picked up some lumber for the new wood shed and fur shed expansion. Ouch! Lumber prices are crazy.
Also drove by our local saw mill on the way home. They've had a permanent help wanted sign out for well over a year. Now they posted the starting wage of $18.50 per hour. Its like this all across the country. Why is anyone out of work?
Damn! If I didnt already have a really good paying job, I may have been tempted at that rate. Well above minimum wage.

I did have my own plans, but they do tend to change. After feeding I started out in the garden doing my weeding and mulching. Was expecting to get it all done since I was off, but my sweet hunny decided to rent a log splitter for all the wood we have been collecting. So the majority of my day was helping him. Do have to say that he did the majority of the brunt work and I worked the hydraulics for the most part with a few of me helping hunny move around the rounds. We now have the majority of our wood for next winter now. Just need to get a top off just in case it is another cold winter for us.

I did have my own plans, but they do tend to change. After feeding I started out in the garden doing my weeding and mulching. Was expecting to get it all done since I was off, but my sweet hunny decided to rent a log splitter for all the wood we have been collecting. So the majority of my day was helping him. Do have to say that he did the majority of the brunt work and I worked the hydraulics for the most part with a few of me helping hunny move around the rounds. We now have the majority of our wood for next winter now. Just need to get a top off just in case it is another cold winter for us.
I love our wood splitter, its a 30 ton model with fast return. I don’t mind splitting wood anymore.

My father in law made a log splitter about 50 years ago. He bought a few parts, Pump, ram, engine, tires, but most of it was made using a cutting torch, and a welder. I inherited it and replaced some purchased parts. I have never seen a store bought one anywhere near the quality of it.

A couple of the old concrete slabs have sunken into the ground on one side and I have decided to finally lift them back up to level...they weigh in at around 400 lbs. and I am under 200 lbs. SOOOOO, I decided it would not be so easy to lift them and decided to leverage them out with a 3 inch by 3 inch and 9 ft long steel square pipe. Using an old 55 gallon drum which was empty, I hung it on the end and filled it with water and let it do the work lifting and holding the slab till I got it stuffed with dirt, rocks and brick to hold it in place for a few years again...dirty but happy. GP
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

I love our wood splitter, its a 30 ton model with fast return. I don’t mind splitting wood anymore.
The one he rented was a 30 ton with a fast return. I was very impressed with it since we had a lot of knotty hackberries and some of the oak. Cedar was my favorite to split. Nice and dry.

The one he rented was a 30 ton with a fast return. I was very impressed with it since we had a lot of knotty hackberries and some of the oak. Cedar was my favorite to split. Nice and dry.
Just be careful burning cedar. It burns hot and fast. At least our cedar does. It makes great kindling though.

I just looked at him and didn't say anything. I could sit here and think all the time too, but nothing would ever get done. As we say in the South " Bless his heart."
Hun, I knew exactly who you were talking about. . . I used to be married to that type of "man" too. I was the one who dug the hole for our septic tank ny hand along with all the lines. . . along with so many other household fixes and the lawn mowing. I still have my Reader Digest on how to fix things, but haven't had to use them om the ;ast 21 iears. I am sure they are out of date now. . . I got a "real" man now.

Last night hunny took me out to my favorite of a Mexican dinner for all my help. We do have a almost 22 year difference. I told my sweet hunny IF he ever left me I would have to take out an ad offering room and board for a "real man" and only they can reply. I would want to have someone who does almost everything my sweet hunny does. . . maintenance and ranching/farming would be BIG on that list. Run down bulls. . . that is Huge

I was approached today by my boss lady to offer me a full time position. These are not given out lightly in my company. When hunny had his cancer scare, she said she would give me full time at any time, but I never wanted or needed. Today she told me she had a conference call with the company heads yesterday and apparently since our sells have gone way up, they want her to create a lead for what I do. She tells me that I would still have full range in 'my department', come in when I want setting my own hours, but I would have to do 36 to 40 hours a week. That is alnost double than what I do now. I already know that I would have to give up my garden, which is a BIG part of my life. That is what we live off of to a degree. We dont normally buy produce from the grocery store only om occasion. Then I have Claire to consider. I have been training her for months now in hopes to AI her to start getting milk in a year. Bosses pros are I can have 7 holidays a year and 2 weeks vacation just starting out along with the health insurance cost would only be around $50 a week for Bluecross Blue Shield. IF I did go full time I would want to pay off our debt of the house and the rent property. But I would have to give up my food secrurity to a point. . . I just do not know right now. I go into work every other day right now because others in the department don't give a crap (I have my own area in the department) which is why I would never feel comfortable taking a "vacation". I still have 53 hours in the bank from years earlier. I know it is a great opportunity for me, but I feel like it is either a career verses what I normally do everyday and love.

Latest posts

Back