Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the feeling. I should have been picking green beans, all kind of squash and cucumbers by now. It's just a weird year all around apparently. I have about 75 ft of garden rows that I need to add in dirt to raise them up since I let hunny do the rows this year. Everything that gets planted does not germinate there. He had good intentions. . . so I give him kudos for that. Normally he doesn't help at all.
I have one garden that is tilled but I haven't been able be put up the fencing yet. I hopefully will have a good late garden. I have a friend here that never plants until after Mother's Day.

Got home yesterday afternoon from my sisters place. It was 36 degs when we got home and its still cold today. It was nice seeing the lush green grass on my sisters farm. They grow grass seed and filbert trees and her daughter and sil run about 5,000 head of sheep. I could get used to the green grass, rain and little to no snow, plus they're about an hour from the coast. And here we've had a total of a half inch of rain all spring. Not likely that we'll get any more before October either. It's still green here but its so cold that the grass is only a few inches tall.

Got home yesterday afternoon from my sisters place. It was 36 degs when we got home and its still cold today. It was nice seeing the lush green grass on my sisters farm. They grow grass seed and filbert trees and her daughter and sil run about 5,000 head of sheep. I could get used to the green grass, rain and little to no snow, plus they're about an hour from the coast. And here we've had a total of a half inch of rain all spring. Not likely that we'll get any more before October either. It's still green here but its so cold that the grass is only a few inches tall.
You are a better man than I. I can barely handle the rather short winter we have.

You are a better man than I. I can barely handle the rather short winter we have.
Uhh, I always thought you were a girl Robin... We love the ranch, its rugged, harsh and beautiful. But its a lot of work for an old man to handle alone. Plus nearest family is over 400 miles away. We are looking at other properties, either near the kids or on the coast. The wifes sister is considering Tennessee. Too much humidity and bugs for me.

Honestly I'm getting a little tired of being cold too. Next week its supposed to get up to 70 degs. To me that will be perfect. I still have to finish work on the prememter fence before it gets hot too.

had to move my bedding plants inside the last two nites - possible frost - lots of trial seed planting has been done around the area and it needs to get warm and stay there ....

Uhh, I always thought you were a girl Robin... We love the ranch, its rugged, harsh and beautiful. But its a lot of work for an old man to handle alone. Plus nearest family is over 400 miles away. We are looking at other properties, either near the kids or on the coast. The wifes sister is considering Tennessee. Too much humidity and bugs for me.
Tennessee and Kentucky are beautiful, but Tennessee is better tax wise. I love Summer. If I get too hot, I jump into the water. The cold makes my bones ache.

Got the rototiller out and ran another time over the three rows of beans which never sprouted. She transplanted the tomatoes we have been pampering since Feb. into the garden. Squash, cucumbers, pickles and beans are going in tomorrow. Went over 90° F TODAY!! Got a small sunburn.
Finished the roof and doors on the neighbors pigpen and we will transplant the pigs also tomorrow into their own new habitat in HIS YARD...the dirt from the foundation digs in his yard will cover the messed up (formerly pretty) area where his pigs upturned my grass and flowers. Get to replant grass and flowers again there in the 160 sq-ft area they destroyed.
Gotta build a new door for my pigpen and chicken house since he inherited them because he had no more money to buy materials and I REALLY WANTED THE PIGS GONE TOMORROW!!

So I learn today from my Sis that Mom told her husbands kids that she is planning on buying steaks for everyone for Father's Day. . . Why am I not surprised that his kids won't be forking over money to buy and make things. Just like last year. Well guess what, we are only available on Saturday before to do any sides and desserts she may want or she can rely on Sis and the other side to buy whatever to bring because Sunday is my sweet Hunny's day. . . Yep, that is where I am at now.

Edit to say that maybe putting too much on Sis. . . I really would hate to be putting too much on her with her health issues now. I can send things over on Sunday, but will not show up to be doing.

Last edited:
Got the fruit trees, berrys and grapes watered today. Everything is starting to get buds now. Still freezing every night and we're keeping the wood stove burning in the morning and night time. We've got about 4 cords of firewood for next winter. My sister in law lives in Portland and has a huge oak tree in her front yard that she's cutting down. Sometime next month I'll haul my gooseneck trailer down and pick it up. Should get several cords of firewood out of it. One of the logs I'm going to have milled in to a mantle for our wood stove.

Got the fruit trees, berrys and grapes watered today. Everything is starting to get buds now. Still freezing every night and we're keeping the wood stove burning in the morning and night time. We've got about 4 cords of firewood for next winter. My sister in law lives in Portland and has a huge oak tree in her front yard that she's cutting down. Sometime next month I'll haul my gooseneck trailer down and pick it up. Should get several cords of firewood out of it. One of the logs I'm going to have milled in to a mantle for our wood stove.
Wow, oak, the gold standard of firewood!

I am free from the pigs!! Took down the chainlink fence between our gardens and chased the stupid things for half an hour till we got them cornered and into the new pig pen...
Planted cucumbers, tomato plants, red peppers and beans again today. Got it all watered.
Will be taking a few days off from heavy work, back aches from pinching or pulling something. Wish I could go fishing.
Heating is turned off for the year, 90° again, rain if forecasted, barefoot in the dirt in the garden with Helena and NO PIGS!!! Life is good, the pig pen is not really pretty but I did what I could with the junk materials he could afford...live free, Gary
IMG_0001.JPG

I ended up weeding part of the garden throwing what I pulled by hand over to the goats today, They were very happy and tied up all of my tomatoes. I have some cherries that are now trying to turn and the rest are putting on nicely. Looking like it will be another bumper crop of tomatoes this year which is good. Will start harvesting my patty squash and yellow squash by tomorrow along with some onions. I am way behind this year with my harvesting though. Getting rain now with it blowing in under the roofed back porch by at least 12 ft. We needed it and put off watering today expecting.

The wife raked up all the pine needles and pine cones around the house and we're burning today. Also planting potatoes and pruning the black berry vines. Since I can't get the rototiller running we may have a small garden this year.
Might help. Most of the time when a small engine won't start it is because of a clogged orifice. Drain the fuel, take the bowl off, remove the dip tube screw, and use a cutting torch cleaner or a very small round file to clear the obstruction. Be careful not to use to big of a file or it will flood. You probably knew that. I hope this helps someone.

Latest posts

Back