Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes some jobs will be lost, but at the same time others will be created with the new technologies. You paint a picture that’s only one sided here. No, I don’t want people to suffer and starve, that’s ridiculous. I do want to leave a planet that’s liveable though. If you can’t see that fossil fuels are polluting the planet then there’s no hope for you. The keystone pipeline was going to be used to refine oil sands. They are the most dirty and hardest to refine, causing even more pollution. The majority of easy to get and better quality oil has allready been gotten. Now they are working with lower grades and more dangerous to get deposits, and it’s only going to get worse from here on out. It is past time to start changing our ways of doing things. You saying I don’t care about people starving is like me saying you don’t care about destroying your grandkids future by polluting the world. It’s over simplified and single visioned.

Unfortunately, moving to a "Green" economy, society is not going to be easy, or cheap:
https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/climate-wars-iea-warns-governments-stockpile-battery-metals

Or clean.

Agreed.
I am all for clean air (I have been to China, I do not smoke but I think I have an idea of what it is like now), clean water, clean soil, as anyone who owns land and sees themselves as stewards of their lands. I would argue most conservatives who own sizeable land or farmers are better environmentalists than left leaning environmentalists.

But those who are pushing The Green New Deal, I do not think they have thought it through. Or are even willing to do so. They just spout platitudes about green energy without addressing a number of issues like, how much energy does it take to build a EV vehicle? How are they going to power it? Solar panels? Wind turbines? And INCLUDE the cost of disposal of all that green energy products.
One thing you never hear them talk about: Reduction of their carbon foot print. What if to meet their lofty goals of zero carbon emissions, they would have to cut their carbon foot print by 50% or more?
Guess what has a large carbon foot print? IT. Information Tech produces as much carbon emissions as the entire airline industry (pre-COVID). And it is getting bigger.

I don’t buy into the entire green new deal by any means. I’m not naive and believe electric cars will solve all our environmental problems. I do know this though, in the last 150 years we have polluted, over harvested, and recklessly treated the planet and most of the species on it. It is about time to start actually working towards cleaner solutions. And no, I don’t believe it will be cheap, 100% clean or easy. There will be some good ideas and many that are complete wastes of money and effort. But without actually doing the research and development of new ways to produce energy nothing will change and that’s a certain way of destroying our children’s futures.

I don’t buy into the entire green new deal by any means. I’m not naive and believe electric cars will solve all our environmental problems. I do know this though, in the last 150 years we have polluted, over harvested, and recklessly treated the planet and most of the species on it. It is about time to start actually working towards cleaner solutions. And no, I don’t believe it will be cheap, 100% clean or easy. There will be some good ideas and many that are complete wastes of money and effort. But without actually doing the research and development of new ways to produce energy nothing will change and that’s a certain way of destroying our children’s futures.
We've also cleaned up, replanted, conserved and found better technology. Many rivers, lakes and streams are cleaner than ever, most places have better air quality, many areas have more trees than ever before. Quit looking at your own backyard and thinking the whole world is a shithole.

I put in 4 hours of moderately hard work today. I am pushing 70. I am wore out. So what do we do? What do we leave to our grand children? How do we warn our children about what is happening on this planet when they make far more money than we ever did? Worse, How much longer can I afford to pay people to work my farm? I have to give up something. I absolutely do not want to end up in a nursing home. Sorry if I sound glum. Oh well I have lived this long.

I put in 4 hours of moderately hard work today. I am pushing 70. I am wore out. So what do we do? What do we leave to our grand children? How do we warn our children about what is happening on this planet when they make far more money than we ever did? Worse, How much longer can I afford to pay people to work my farm? I have to give up something. I absolutely do not want to end up in a nursing home. Sorry if I sound glum. Oh well I have lived this long.
Thats why the wife and i drove down to my sisters place to figure out what to do with my father, mother and their assets. They're both 91 now and dad is demented (dementiaed?).

Dracos. you just keep doing what makes you happy in life for as long as you can. My hunny is about to turn 70 in a short period of time hinself. Have to admit that none of our kids are interested in inheriting anything we have built, which is sad to say. They have all seemed to have built up there on lives. I know other members here who deal with the same situation. You just need to do you. . . It's what you enjoy out of life, right? And is probably one of the reasons you are still so active in life.

We've also cleaned up, replanted, conserved and found better technology. Many rivers, lakes and streams are cleaner than ever, most places have better air quality, many areas have more trees than ever before. Quit looking at your own backyard and thinking the whole world is a shithole.
Try looking at any air or quality anywhere in the country compared to 100 yrs ago. i don’t know what your comparing ‘cleaner’ to but its nowhere near what it was at the turn of the century.

Try looking at any air or quality anywhere in the country compared to 100 yrs ago. i don’t know what your comparing ‘cleaner’ to but its nowhere near what it was at the turn of the century.
Come on Brent. Open your mind. 100 years ago most people in the city's were burning "dirty" coal to heat their homes. Very few people burn coal now days. Coal fired power plants now burn anthracite coal, which is much cleaner than other types of coal. Yes, the air is much cleaner in many parts of the country today than 100 years ago.

I agree with both Brent S and Arcticdude.

At one point (early 1900s), the Ohio River was so polluted, it caught fire.

On the other, they are now finding plastics in mussels and various anti-depressants in fish brains.

the US has some of the cleanest water and air on the planet yet instead of going after the country's,,,,such as China whose air quality is terrible Biden shoves a stick up the azz of the American people and wants to go green,,,,,,,,lost jobs higher energy prices and we will be dependent on other countrys for oil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yup Biden has a great plan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am so thrilled that he is our President,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SARCASIUM BRENT IN CASE YOU ARE TO THICK TO SEE IT

Just finished the foundation, walls and welding the steel frame for the wood clad fence around the outside part of the neighbors pigpen...spent too much time on my knees welding the underneath side of the steel parts. Now he needs to buy the wood for the roof and fence. Glad we finished yesterday, it is and has been raining since we finished...Gary

A little of both, glad to help him but the pigs have been here for 5 months now and as the weather gets warmer,,,,the smell gets stronger and Helena does not want to invite guests for a BBQ with the smell in the garden. The lesson was learned tho, help on some things but draw a line as to how and what to help with in the future. Helping is one thing but taking over the responsibility could go wrong. What if one choked and died on my land? Who is gonna pay? You know? GP

Latest posts

Back