Chain saws

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just split another utility wagon of wood. My son and I have the best conversations while working. He loves talking about old movies and Cary Grant, Bogey and Grace Kelly the most. Quality time.

Growing up, my kids watched black and white movies, Andy Griffith, etc. Didn't watch Sesame Street at all. Even 30 years ago, it was way to PC for me.

My hubby and I love the old black and whites too! Really aren’t crazy about the newer movies. And they are getting worse!

He watches them every day Doc. We always loved Charlie Chan, but of course they can't even show them anymore because there was a Caucasian playing a Chinese. I have 6 of the box sets.

I am glad I have hundreds of old movies that I have recorded. Now, you can't record off of your TV if you have Directv, because they made deal with studios. I have an expensive recorder that is worthless now. I'm looking for someone to help me bend the rules and hot wire my equipment. This just happened to me about 7 months ago when we upgraded.

He watches them every day Doc. We always loved Charlie Chan, but of course they can't even show them anymore because there was a Caucasian playing a Chinese. I have 6 of the box sets.

I am glad I have hundreds of old movies that I have recorded. Now, you can't record off of your TV if you have Directv, because they made deal with studios. I have an expensive recorder that is worthless now. I'm looking for someone to help me bend the rules and hot wire my equipment. This just happened to me about 7 months ago when we upgraded.
Just hook up a dvr as a passthrough to your TV and record

We need to start a movement to stop gay actors from portraying straight characters. And liberal actors from portraying conservative characters.

Tried. But everything I want to record isn't on local stations but on Directv.

They have all recording equipment blocked.

What are you using to record? Are you using a separate directory or virtual, DVD that the TV is then connected to?

Every local store listed on line that said they carry wood inserts no longer carry them in store. I want to see, and feel before I make a purchase.

Guess I'm off to an actual stove store where prices are double.

What are you using to record? Are you using a separate directory or virtual, DVD that the TV is then connected to?
I have a Toshiba DVD recorder. It records hard discs. Directv has blocked all recording devices other than their DVR Genie.

Our local channels are on Directv also so I can't even record those. Tried changing from HDMI to the older ethernet type, but that doesn't work either.

Tried turning off the HD and recording in SD, didn't work either. My daughter is asking friends if they have any tricks. So far, nothing.

I have a Toshiba DVD recorder. It records hard discs. Directv has blocked all recording devices other than their DVR Genie.

Our local channels are on Directv also so I can't even record those. Tried changing from HDMI to the older ethernet type, but that doesn't work either.

Tried turning off the HD and recording in SD, didn't work either. My daughter is asking friends if they have any tricks. So far, nothing.
I don't understand how they block it? Whatever you see on your tv can be recorded from your tv.

I don't understand how they block it? Whatever you see on your tv can be recorded from your tv.
Yes and No
Look up Digital Rights Management
DRM encrypted content can only be viewed on DRM compliant devices. There are compliant ways of doing it, but there are also non-compliant workarounds that violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

I'm guessing you mean with a TiVO.

I was able to record encrypted programs using a DRM compliant cablecard tuner that plugged into the USB port of my computer. I used Windows Media Center to record. (basically a home brew TiVO) But I was only able to replay those on the computer that recorded them.
That computer is dead, and I have many terabytes of TV programs that I can't view anymore.
Getting all that set up was a royal pain because I had to get the cable company to give me a cablecard and program it for my tuner. And then I had to get Windows Media Center to talk to the tuner and acknowledge the cablecard (that took SOME doing!).
The cable companies don't like doing that because then they can't charge you for using their set top box and DVR. I don't know if they even do that anymore because I finally just cut the cord out of exasperation with the cable company.

I took the glass doors out of my fireplace and stored someplace in my disaster of a garage. Called about getting new ones installed and the charge is $1700. I find that totally ridiculous.
I went with a screen.
BFAFB47B-67D6-49E3-B5D5-AD619D159ED7.jpeg

Every local store listed on line that said they carry wood inserts no longer carry them in store. I want to see, and feel before I make a purchase.

Guess I'm off to an actual stove store where prices are double.
You picked the worst time of the year to look for wood stoves or fireplace inserts. Everyone else is looking right now too. Can you wait until summer?
Just dont buy on of those cheap China made POS inserts.

My fireplace is too small in the rear to fit any inserts. I meet the other measurements, but the rear is 2" too small. He said they stopped making my brand so I am pretty much out of luck.

Not expecting any new ones either. Plus, I have oak all around and they say you must have 41" clearance from all wood. Looks like I'm going to be straight fireplace and pray we doing have another ice age. If it comes to that, I'll just cut a hole in the wall and run a pipe to accommodate a plain stove. It will look like crap, but if we are freezing, who cares.

Latest posts

Back